Darkcrafter's New GPU and New Dooms

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Darkcrafter's New GPU and New Dooms

Post by Darkcrafter »

So I got a better graphics card and played doom 2016 150-200fps on ultra. I originally thought that game sucks because my system sucked, I was wrong, it wasn't the system, it's the game :lol:

Doom needs save/load game menu, it needs fast running, it needs more maps, it needs old vanilla or maybe a bit better vanilla mechanics - brutal doom v21 got a nail on the head here with vanilla mode. Seems like that double jump and pull-up technique is also half-assed as it doesn't work where it supposed to, some rocks models even lack collision. It needs 6-7 rockets to kill a damn mancubus, the idea of pumping up your health/armor/ammo reserve with argent energy cells is shit for children with Down syndrome. The idea of having health coming out of your enemies is also a crazy thing for stupid people who would say that having medic packs in hell isn't "realistic". I got a bad feeling that we won't see good old doom remake out of an aaa game development company, it's pretty hard to sell original doom.

In common I don't regret I didn't buy it.

The same applies to CS:GO which I deleted as soon as I played it for 20 mins, the games are getting worse, what is happening?

What ya think about eternal?
Jarewill

Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by Jarewill »

Darkcrafter wrote:So I got a better graphics card and played doom 2016 150-200fps on ultra. I originally thought that game sucks because my system sucked, I was wrong, it wasn't the system, it's the game :lol:
Oh, so I wasn't the only one that thought that Doom 4 was mediocre at best.
Everyone who I talked about it so far, called me a heretic and said that Doom 4 saved the series and it's the best game. For each their own, I guess.
Doom 4 was advertised to me as a return to classics and a gore-fest, yet I wouldn't call it any of that.

Most of my problems with it started when I was looking in the settings for a damn always run option or at least a sprint button.
The player moves so hecking slow in this game, even Doom 3 guy was faster than this.
How is this a "return to classics" if I might ask? Doom was all about speed and tactics to me, and this one has none of that imo.

The weapons didn't feel worthwhile at all. Yeah, I guess the weapon upgrades were a kinda neat idea, but it still didn't make me bother with anything other than the HAR and the gauss.
Even the super shotgun was used rarely to deal with pinkies.
And the plasma gun.... Don't get me started on that thing. Pretty much everything about it was bad, and yet it carries the same name as one of the best weapons in classic Doom.

Now for the "gore-fest". I don't know if I did something wrong, I played on Ultra-Violence and didn't change anything in the settings, but this game was just.... Barely any gorey.
Sure, there was blood and guts and demons were exploding left and right, but.... It all felt weak, nothing really was interesting to see. It all felt cartoony in a way.

For the collision problems, I would put it on par with other AAA games. By that I mean that I broke out of the boundaries several times without even trying.
This and Witcher 3 are examples to come to my head straight away. I wasn't even trying to go out of bounds, I was just hunting for secrets like the perfectionist I am.
And then I jumped on a building and.... Nothing, just nothing. No invisible walls, not even a kill barrier. One moment I am jumping on a broken bridge and the other I'm on a tower, taking the sights in.

Frankly, I could probably go on and on about how much of a letdown Doom 4 was, but I think this is a big enough wall of text.
If I had a choice to buy Doom 4 again.... I would buy classic Doom instead. :lol:
But the gauss cannon was a fun weapon and centered weapon position was a nice feature.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

I recently first time in my life finished doom 3 and I gotta say doom 3 is far better than doom 4, how far I hated doom 3, dm4 is just a piece of nothing compared to it, even a while of weeks ago I felt some fear while playing doom 3, what I can't feel with doom 4 at all. Original doom has real effect of death valley, you're thrown into a world inhabited by ignorant creatures - be them zombies, imps or anything else, and the worst depiction of their evilness is not how aggressively they attack but how they do it for the sake of do. Also the music in original doom contributes a lot to how a particular map should be perceived. In doom 3 there were almost no music but it's just another element of horror that doom 3 was trying to be, doom 4 has a good sounding track but the problem here is not music, here it only underlines the feeling of game.

All the doom community knows that indeed in the original doom the game begins with shootout almost immediately, but I think bethesda deliberately misunderstood this, rewrote the whole doom story which has nothing to do with fancy doom slayer bullshit and made a mad man out of doomguy, sort of like duke nukem of hell, kill not for the sake of knowing what happens around and not for the sake of humanity how they try to tell by placing their uac narratives everywhere around the base. I just feel it's just another gum killing monsters for the sake of brutality. The first time I saw this game I thought it was Brutal Doom plagiarism and man, Brutal Doom shits on Doom 2016 in almost every aspect, it even has tanks, aviation and other bonuses that I don't feel make this mod any better, but it's there and it's a quite interesting experience after all. Project Brutality went even further with a huge aresenal, machette, chainsaw kills, axe throwing and also added double jump with pull-ups. Yeah Project Brutality has some technical problems associated with bad performance but considering this is not a professional AAA project I can easily close my eyes to it. This one didn't want to teleport my player on 3d floors, I opened up the project brutality file and fixed it easily by taking out "teleports" decorate line out of main decorate include file, I don't see any more problems these brutal mods have.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

Yes, I do agree that Doom 3 is far better than Doom 4.
It has that special atmosphere which adds to the game a whole lot.
First time I encountered Trites, I was literally screaming. :lol:
The only real problem I had with Doom 3 was the awful shotgun. Like seriously, is this from Halo or something?
But one problem with a game is better than over a dozen, like in the case with Doom 4.

The feel of original Doom was great. You are stuck on Phobos/Deimos/in hell and have to find a way out alive.
It gives the player to option to either fight through the demons, or just run past everything to survive, only exception being boss levels.
Meanwhile Doom 4's story as far as I understood is "Humans messed up. You like killing demons. Kill them again."
Do you like to just rush straight to the exit without killing everything? Well, tough luck, you are locked in every room you are in and have to kill everything to get out.
The game forces you to kill everything and tells you that you love doing it, when it just gets tedious after a certain point.

I played both 3 and 4 this year, I mean last year, I mean 2019.... Jeez, this is confusing.
I just upgraded to a better pc, because my previous one was just terrible.
First I started with 4, and it was like next day after setting up this new pc.
And to be honest, Doom 3 was the better experience out of the two.

Now, I'm quite unfamiliar with Brutal Doom and the likes, but from the little amount of time I played it, I have to say that it was impressive.
Not particularly something I would play everyday, but it sure was an interesting experience.
Doom 4 does kinda feel like AAA Brutal Doom, except without the charm of using such an old engine and with far less features.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Doom 3 is actually well-made, well-thought sequel for Doom 2, actually. I think it's mostly hated and abandoned by the fans because it wasn't the Hyper FPS style all we know and whatnot just like Quake 1 and 3... And heck it was way too dark for my taste, but... Yeah.
Enjay

Re: Darkcrafter's New GPU and New Dooms

Post by Enjay »

I'm splitting this topic off because it has the potential to become a discussion in its own right and thereby derail the "What did you last do" thread.

It also has the potential to get heated - so let's keep it civil. A separate thread is nice and easy to lock. ;)

Personally, I thought D3 was mediocre at best (and I'm being generous). I thought that it was boring a lot of the time, grey almost all of the time (well, the bits you can actually see anyway), too many "can't progress until you kill the scripted waves" sequences, repetitive, enemy designs that were dated almost as soon as they were released, far too many enemy types that were just variants of each other, massively unsatisfying weapons, loads of annoying 'features', many let-downs and unfulfilled promises... I think I played it through fully once, maybe twice and I have tried several times since but it's just a slog. A dull, dark slog. I can't get through it. If it wasn't for the technology, the fact that some people clearly do enjoy it and some aspects of it being interesting/cool, I would class it as bad, not mediocre. If I judge it purely on how much I enjoyed playing it and that alone, it really wasn't an enjoyable experience at all. i.e. a bad game.

I haven't played anything since D3 (partly because of my experience with D3) but most people who have expressed an opinion that I have seen/heard seem to prefer the newer game. I can't say that what I have seen via gameplay footage has particularly impressed me or made me want to get a copy though.

As for Brutal Doom, to me that's just a novelty that I got bored of very quickly. I really don't understand its popularity. Sure it's fun to play through a map or two and see the whole place coated with blood and gibs, and the fatalities definitely have some humour in them, but for me it gets old very quickly, detracts from the game and just kind of gets in the way. I even struggle to bother playing right through something like Episode 1 with BD loaded. It gets too "meh" after a while - just lots of visual noise getting in the way of what I am trying to do. I generally prefer the cleaner approach of the basic game with GZDoom's enhancements.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

What's about Doom 3 I didn't like shotgun either for its ineffectiveness at distances that are longer than 2 meters. And I think the game could come up with better lighting offering not just stencil shadows but also mixing them with precalculated world light maps how its done in darkplaces engine.

Doom 3 graphics and gameplay wise has a brother - the chronicles of riddick escape from butcher bay. Even the fact they were based on different engines they look almost the same to me.

I like Brutal Doom not for gore and fatality kills, but for the way it deal with excessive grind original doom possess, it's getting faster to kill a monster at price of risking life more though, so the maps must be good with this mod otherwise it will play awful, speaking of maps, Brutal Doom friends up with Oblige maps really well and it's literally possible to play always different maps forever for the sake of firefight.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Captain J wrote:Doom 3 is actually well-made, well-thought sequel for Doom 2, actually. I think it's mostly hated and abandoned by the fans because it wasn't the Hyper FPS style all we know and whatnot just like Quake 1 and 3... And heck it was way too dark for my taste, but... Yeah.
Indeed. Its more true to Doom than all the other Doom's since it more follows the concepts introduced in The Doom Bible.
Darkcrafter wrote:What's about Doom 3 I didn't like shotgun either for its ineffectiveness at distances that are longer than 2 meters. And I think the game could come up with better lighting offering not just stencil shadows but also mixing them with precalculated world light maps how its done in darkplaces engine.
Stencil shadows were a big thing back then and it was the main advertisment point for Doom 3 (Besidies being a new Doom).

Its funny how a lot of sites and people thought Doom 3 did the stencil shadow first and formost, whereas not only Deus Ex: Invisible War did it earlier, that too was not the first game that did it anyway.

That title goes to Severance: Blade of Darkness. Which, alongside Trespasser and Outcast are a select few titles from the 90s that actually pushed technology far beyond what was thought possible. Severance is also the only game i am aware of that does the stencil trick on DX7 and DX6 GPU's and OpenGL equivalents. It had a robust physics system, translucent water... it was a pretty thing, and aside the low res textures, it still is pretty good looking.
Darkcrafter wrote: Doom 3 graphics and gameplay wise has a brother - the chronicles of riddick escape from butcher bay. Even the fact they were based on different engines they look almost the same to me.
Stencil shadows/shadow volume make games look samey, yes. But quality wise they are pretty epic, and expensive.

And Riddick was interesting because it did pretty much everything Doom 3 did visually - and still looked better in my opinion, and on Xbox too. The Starbreeze tech really was a special animal back then.
Darkcrafter wrote: I like Brutal Doom not for gore and fatality kills, but for the way it deal with excessive grind original doom possess, it's getting faster to kill a monster at price of risking life more though, so the maps must be good with this mod otherwise it will play awful,
That's because BD does not do the original Doom maps proper justice. It changes the gameplay and atmosphere significantly, leading to a faster-paced, more arcadey like feel.

Its best to play BD with its own megawad as those maps are designed for it.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Yes, doom 4 is a mediocre game. Even more, when I exploring it, by both playing it, reading in game descriptions/text and ripping models/sounds from it, I got the impression that it was made by people uninterested in doing it and/or not knowing what they doing.
As example, first description about doom guy armor was "indestructible tried laser on it, no luck", so I expecting something like ocuplock but with invulnerability powerup. But after first zombie kill me with two weak punches....yeah...

Bust most broken things as for me is a fatality system. Obtaining ammo and health only by executing enemies, not something new. But problem is, if you already low on health/ammo you almost definitely screwed and need to reload last save. Because to trigger "wounded" animation you should use some ammo, and to gain some health you need on already low health run to "wounded" monster without catching additional damage and execute them. Probably punches too trigger "wounded" state animation, but I always die before figuring it out.
And after you reach room with two barons you technically already the finish game, since next you only seen same encounters as before, but in different decorations. You can say same for any game, but here the thing, doom 4 can have only 8 active monsters on map, while in other games this number limited only by the power of you system. And with only 8 available monsters its hard to create something "Mmmmmmmm...." only something "He....".

So in short, doom 4 can be a REVELATION only for those who dont play much in the shooters.

Also yes, doom 3 is a good game (7/10) which dont suits well for doom franchise. If by the time of doom 3 you can name it a franchise. It have cheesy jump scares and imps behind doors which claw you even if you one kilometer away from the door, but it feels that guys really tries to approach to "mars under attack of demons from hell" from the horror direction.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

I like Doom 3 more than most people, but you guys are insane saying Doom 4 sucked. Like lmao. It's one of the best games I've ever played in my entire life, up there with Half-Life 2 and Portal, and I've been gaming since Catacombs 3D like most people here. It does seem to be the season for new video cards, though. I just got mine, too. lol
Spoiler:
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

Congrats with your purchase! I think world needs more rtx, would be good if amd comes up with something identical.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Apeirogon wrote:As example, first description about doom guy armor was "indestructible tried laser on it, no luck", so I expecting something like ocuplock but with invulnerability powerup. But after first zombie kill me with two weak punches....yeah...
Just because the armor is indestructible doesn't mean you are. :mrgreen:
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

wildweasel wrote:
Apeirogon wrote:As example, first description about doom guy armor was "indestructible tried laser on it, no luck", so I expecting something like ocuplock but with invulnerability powerup. But after first zombie kill me with two weak punches....yeah...
Just because the armor is indestructible doesn't mean you are. :mrgreen:
Maybe that was an easter egg? :lol:
Enjay wrote:I'm splitting this topic off because it has the potential to become a discussion in its own right and thereby derail the "What did you last do" thread.

It also has the potential to get heated - so let's keep it civil. A separate thread is nice and easy to lock. ;)...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

:lol:

Just don't do any of that head-spinning projectile vomiting and we're good. ;)
MFG38
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by MFG38 »

Darkcrafter wrote:I got a bad feeling that we won't see good old doom remake out of an aaa game development company
Of course you won't see a remake of OG Doom from a AAA company. Know why? Because TIMES CHANGE.

As far as I'm concerned, DOOM '16 was the best Doom possible in an age where CoD et al. still seem to dominate the market. It had the balls to deviate from the formula established by those titles and managed to deliver a gameplay experience that, while not purely old-school, was definitely a nod in that direction. And I have a news flash for you: it needed to have some modern gameplay mechanics if it was going to succeed in today's video game market.

We're not in the goddamn '90s anymore. So don't act like a spoiled brat.

Return to “Off-Topic”