Old laptop /Linux question

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: Old laptop /Linux question

Postby Rachael » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:09 am

Clearly, you need to enable hardware acceleration of some sort. Trying to run higher resolutions without it especially for web browsing is completely insane.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby drfrag » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:02 am

I know. Perhaps i should try LXDE, last time i tried to me it sucked big time and may be it doesn't boot either.
Edit: I don't think that would help, i can't get to the login screen with the graphics driver and i must choose between them there.
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Postby Redneckerz » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:41 am

drfrag wrote:I know. Perhaps i should try LXDE, last time i tried to me it sucked big time and may be it doesn't boot either.
Edit: I don't think that would help, i can't get to the login screen with the graphics driver and i must choose between them there.

With KDE, are you running the Plasma Shell and KWin?

Similar to old Compiz (From what i remember from my times with Linux), KWin uses compositing for advanced graphical effects. It might be that your card with GL1.4 simply refuses on this. There are two options i can think of right now if you prefer KDE:

Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby drfrag » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:49 am

I already disabled the compositor, it said it was using GL 2 but may be it wasn't even working or was software. I can't get to the login screen without disabling the driver so i don't think changing desktops would help. But i dunno, the requirements said just 1 GHz CPU and 1 GB of ram but they don't update that.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Postby drfrag » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:01 am

Now i've tried to install the xserver-xorg-video-radeon package with the package manager and i get an error saying that it's a virtual package and can't be installed. Then from the terminal with sudo apt becouse you must type a lot to prove that you're a real hacker you know and i get something that there were a lot of problems and i kept broken packages. :? This is almost fun considering i'm a computer technician. :lol:
Edit: it's already installed, the hwe package.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Postby Blzut3 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:57 am

Do you know if Windows worked on that machine? The T40 series was very prone to dead GPUs. I can't say I've experienced any freezing with the R100 chip in my A31p, but it has been a long while since I've used that laptop for an extended period of time.
Blzut3
Pronounced: B-l-zut

Github ID: Blzut3
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Kali, Mint, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby drfrag » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:57 pm

But 2d at least should work, i only tried mini xp and the driver supported the display native resolution. If it was fried i would not get any output.
"Only" hardware problems here are dying keyboard and cmos battery. Now power management works.
Mint mate works with a radeon 9600, i could have installed mate here with another desktop. May be it's the distro or a kernel update no idea.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Postby drfrag » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:54 pm

I would need to install an older version of the package supporting the user space mode setting but that's impossible. The driver version was 6.14.4 and here there are both video-ati and video-radeon drivers both installed. With recent drivers only kernel mode setting is supported.
The newest kernels have moved the video mode setting into the kernel. So all the programming of the hardware specific clock rates and registers on the video card happen in the kernel rather than in the X driver when the X server starts.. This makes it possible to have high resolution nice looking splash (boot) screens and flicker free transitions from boot splash to login screen. Unfortunately, on some cards this doesnt work properly and you end up with a black screen. Adding the nomodeset parameter instructs the kernel to not load video drivers and use BIOS modes instead until X is loaded.

Many open source drivers have removed support for non-kernel mode setting, so in those cases when you use nomodeset you will end up falling back to the very basic VESA un-accelerated driver. This is very much a performance and feature hit.

At least now i know that LZDoom still runs. And next that other thing i want to do.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Postby ketmar » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:00 pm

>GDB is incredibly powerful if you know how to use it.
and so printf too. ;-)

interactive debugger is the best way to waste your time pretending to doing something useful. once i realised this, i stopped using interactive debuggers. and i never looked back since.
ketmar
k8vavoom developer

Postby Chris » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:05 pm

ketmar wrote:>GDB is incredibly powerful if you know how to use it.
and so printf too. ;-)

Except the language itself makes this invalid. A program that does something wrong (invalid pointer access, uninitialized memory, etc), is by definition an invalid program, and an invalid program makes no guarantee about the behavior of a program, at all. Bugs can go "back in time", essentially effecting the behavior of code "before" the buggy line. As an example:
Code: Select allExpand view
static char temp[512];

void foo(void *dst, void *src, size_t count)
{
    if(src)
    {
        count += *(unsigned char*)src;
        src += 1;
    }
    printf("Copying %z bytes from %p\n", count, src);
    fflush(stdout); // Make sure output is flushed
    memcpy(temp, src, count); // BUG: need a null check here, memcpy parameters must not be NULL even if count is 0.
}

int main()
{
    foo(NULL, 0);
    return 0;
}

It is completely possible to run this and get:
$ ./a.out
Segmentation fault

for two potential reasons. On one hand, the compiler could have optimized foo:
void foo(void *dst, void *src, size_t count)
{
    count += *(unsigned char*)src; // Removed check, since it's unconditionally given to memcpy which can't be given null, src therefore can't be null
    src += 1;
    printf("Copying %z bytes from %p\n", count, src);
    fflush(stdout); // Only user space memory is flushed
    memcpy(temp, src, count);
}

Presuming this is called properly, it produces the same results as defined by the language. However, with null it crashes without logging anything, even though the bug was after your printf statement because a redundant null check was removed. Another possibility is with fflush:
Note  that fflush() flushes only the user-space buffers provided by the C library.

In this case, stdout's user-space buffer is flushed to the kernel buffer, but the segfault could kill the process before the kernel buffer is acted upon. You would also need to use sync or fsync to really ensure the kernel is done too.

This is why it's important to have tools that can inspect the state of the program at the time of the crash, rather than depending on an invalid program to make a valid log. Such a log can be useful to have as extra information, but certainly not on its own and not as the primary data point.
Chris

Postby ketmar » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:21 pm

>A program that does something wrong (invalid pointer access, uninitialized
>memory, etc), is by definition an invalid program, and an invalid program makes no
>guarantee about the behavior of a program, at all.

that's why i am always turning off optimisations based on "your code is always valid" assumption (at least as much as modern compilers allows that).

>This is why it's important to have tools that can inspect the state of the program at
>the time of the crash

as a wrote befire, i *do* use gdb to get backtraces from coredumps. i said that i don't use *interactive* debuggers, not post-mortem. sure, post-mortem can be interactive too, but i think it is quite clear what i meant. ;-)

p.s.: segfaults are the easiest bugs to debug anyway. it segfaulted, you looked at the coredump, you see what is wrong (if your code is not same insane spaghetti, of course). logic bugs are much harder to fix, and usually you have to add alot of watch expressions to debugger anyway. this is not really different from adding logging, but if you added logging, you can leave it in the code (i do), and you can later ask your users to run your app with "--debuglogs" CLI arg to perform "remote debugging". i can't even count how many times this saved me weeks of my life i would waste trying to reproduce the logic bug locally.
ketmar
k8vavoom developer

Postby Blzut3 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:53 pm

drfrag wrote:But 2d at least should work, i only tried mini xp and the driver supported the display native resolution. If it was fried i would not get any output.

Not necessarily. I have a GeForce 4 4600Ti which will work with the XP desktop but any accelerated program is a glitch fest. With modern operating systems the desktop, web browser, office suite, what have you all use hardware acceleration.
drfrag wrote:Mint mate works with a radeon 9600, i could have installed mate here with another desktop. May be it's the distro or a kernel update no idea.

Trying another desktop environment would be worthwhile as a data point, but I'd expect that at best it last a little longer before hitting the same freeze.
drfrag wrote:I would need to install an older version of the package supporting the user space mode setting but that's impossible.

At this point I'm fairly sure you're looking at very dated advice. KMS is a very old feature at this point and works just fine. If an older driver were to fix your issue it would just be an indication that there is indeed a bug in the newest drivers.

To that end as far as your options go for installing an older driver, the only practical one is to turn off the hardware enablement stack and go back to the original 18.04 kernel and mesa stack. In theory compiling old versions of mesa is also viable, but I wouldn't attempt that unless you were actually comfortable with using Linux which you clearly are not.
ketmar wrote:that's why i am always turning off optimisations based on "your code is always valid" assumption (at least as much as modern compilers allows that).

Enjoy not having any vector optimizations. Those rely on a lot of hidden assumptions granted by the C++ standard including data alignment. Disabling compiler optimizations because they point out your code is poorly written is crazy.
Blzut3
Pronounced: B-l-zut

Github ID: Blzut3
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Kali, Mint, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby ketmar » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:13 pm

>Enjoy not having any vector optimizations. Those rely on a lot of hidden
>assumptions granted by the C++ standard including data alignment. Disabling
>compiler optimizations because they point out your code is poorly written is
>crazy.

assuming that the code has zero bugs is crazy. can you give a 100% guarantee that your code is flawless? if not, then your "optimised" code is silently turned into nonsence, and you can never know for sure what is wrong, because so-called "optimisations" are absolutely unpredictable.

also, "vector optimisations" are overrated. if they're so great, then why people still writing SIMD code manually? and oops... you have to organise your data structures to be "vector-friendly" first. meh. x2 for code complexity for 0.1% more speed? i can't care less. good algorithms, profiling, and manual improving of bottlenecks can give me much better speed boost than any sophisticated compiler hyperoptimisation.

and what is important -- i know that compiler won't throw away some of my code because some idiot in "standards committee" decided to turn perfectly valid thing into "unspecified". like integer overflow -- because yeah, we have alot of CPUs with non-two-complement integer math, so we cannot put it into standard, right? screw it. making complex project UB-free is impossible. literally. and i won't even going to try -- not before we get sane standards.
ketmar
k8vavoom developer

Postby wildweasel » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:16 pm

Has OP's question been answered?
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby ketmar » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:23 pm

>Has OP's question been answered?
several times, by different people. that's why we're going wild here.

User received a warning for this post -Rachael
ketmar
k8vavoom developer

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic