Any original id maps converted to D64?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Enjay

Any original id maps converted to D64?

Post by Enjay »

Just musing really. I know that there are several versions of Doom64 maps that are playable in PC Doom ports (some more faithful than others) but I was wondering if anyone had ever done the reverse? Is it possible, for example, to play Doom's "Hangar" or Doom2's "Entryway" in Doom64EX?
SouthernLion

Re: Any original id maps converted to D64?

Post by SouthernLion »

That's actually a project I have started. I have E1M1 and E1M2 finished, if you want to play them. I'm about 30% finished with E1M3 and then... well... the tragedy happened with my wife and I... :(

I would be happy to upload it though, if you wanted to give me some feedback. One sec, let me find it.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

I originally wasn't going to announce anything until I got a basic set up of Episode 1 finished, but you kind of forced me to play my hand here, haha.

Dude, you've inspired me to get back to work on this. As a child, I've always envisioned making this mod/conversion. I think I'm gonna start working on it on my days off, again. I just downloaded the editor and Doom 64 Ex and everything, again. (I have built a new PC since I last worked on this.) Anyways, here's what I have so far. Let me know what you think, Enjay! (And anyone else.)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/0dcmijov ... HA.7z/file

To answer your question, it isn't possible to just run regular Doom maps directly as is in Doom 64 EX. All of the linedefs and sidedefs properties get completely screwed up, obviously there is no texture equivalence, sector specials are all different, etc. and the thing height is actually very different. I've had to go area by area and adjust to make something seem not silly (imps being as tall as the room in a room that was normally fairly big in PC Doom). There are also a few thing numbers that change, although thankfully NOT A LOT of them. I've had to write down the ones that change. (Like the shotgun guy becomes a barrel or something. lmfao). I'm also doing Doom 64 effects (such as the scripting) and the multiple wall colors. Can't wait to hear what you think, brother.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Oh wow! Thanks for posting that. It's exactly the kind of thing that I hoped might be out there somewhere. I've just played through and I really enjoyed it. It was very interesting to see those very familiar levels in the quite different environment of Doom64. I'll be honest, although some of the original D64 maps are technically quite advanced, I don't really enjoy the bulk of them that much. Being able to play these maps that I enjoy anyway in the D64 environment actually gave me a greater appreciation for the atmosphere of D64 (which is partly what I hoped might happen if someone was able to point me to the kind of maps I was asking about).

Your approach to the lighting was very consistent with D64 but I liked how you mostly kept to the basic flow and item placement of the original maps. I did, however, also like that you threw in a handful of small D64-like tweaks and tricks to make it your own spin on things and let the player know that they can't take everything that they know about those maps 100% for granted. I really appreciated that they were just tweaks though and no a complete re-write of the map progression etc. Nice!

I did find the texturing a bit... I think "sterile" might be the word. However, I think as much of that is to do with the D64 texture set as anything else. The wall colouring and lighting effect go a long way to counter that though.

I think it would definitely be worth continuing with the project if you're up for it. I'd love to play an entire Episode 1 like this and I'm certainly going to play the maps that you've already done again. More fun than vanilla D64 IMO. :D

Thanks for the info on the mapping considerations for doing this too. I knew that the map format was a bit different simply from poking around inside the Doom64 IWAD but I wasn't sure of the details. It seems obvious now, but I had also not really considered that the enemies in D64 were different sizes to their Doom equivalents and that mapping allowances would have to be made accordingly.

Thanks once again. :thumb:

Return to “Off-Topic”