Adding a new GPU to my pc avoiding bottleneck performance

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Adding a new GPU to my pc avoiding bottleneck performance

Post by Ozymandias81 »

So as the thread title says, I am gathering info for my rig in order to improve it with a somewhat decent (or at least better than the one I have) GPU since I don't have much money to spend at all.

Let's see my config then:

MOBO: Asus M5A78L-M v2 Am3+ socket
CPU: Amd FX 6300 Vishera 6core 3.5ghz Black Edition 14mb cache Unlocked
RAM: 4gb ram 1333mhz ddr3 Unknown Manufacturer
GPU: Palit GeForce GT610 1024mb DX11 ready
1 SSD hdd Kingston 240gb (with Win7 64bit sp1 Ultimate installed on it)
1 hdd 500gb Seagate Barracuda
APU: iTek ATX 12V2.31 500W 80Plus

My idea is to increase obviously amount of ram, maybe 16gb ddr3, and add a decent GPU. Since I can't find exactly a proper "list" of gpus I can attach on my mobo, I thought it was nice to ask here before I will take action (around Christmas I think). Thanks in advance, and keep in mind that I use my actual rig to develope Blade of Agony (and that's why also I am the one committed mostly to improve performance due to my low specs)
Last edited by Ozymandias81 on Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Adding a new GPU to my pc avoiding bottleneck performanc

Post by Graf Zahl »

With that card, plugging in anything newer will give you a major boost, even some old used Geforce 550Ti you may get on eBay for a few bucks will give you enough power to run GZDoom without major slowdowns. Here in Germany they sell for €20-25 incl. P&P.
That card worked fine for me, except when using shadowmaps and SSAO, the main reason I replaced it was that it doesn't support Vulkan.

I cannot say what's the best your motherboard supports is, unfortunately, how old is that system?
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

This config has been set thanks to a friend and all for free frankenhardwareing stuff here and there on 2017. For what I know both CPU and mobo where brand new, not something reconditioned or used, while instead the ram has pop up from an old unused office desktop somewhere which was put down at my friend's workplace and in fact it is probably a little piece of crap since it can't handle extreme stress without BSoddin'.
On the other hand, the Seagate hdd and gpu have probably around 6-8 years which are the oldest pieces in my rig (and the newest is the SSD for sure). I also didn't mention that I have a 10+ old dvd writer, but well I use it very rarely. So you said 550ti mmmh... What about something that supports Vulkan? My idea was to get a 4gb gpu, but I wonder how adding a new one would impact also temperature on my end (if I play 8h with Skyrim CE with Enderal - runs very well - my gpu doesn't get far than 60° in summertime)? I have one case fan and obviously the cpu one too, plus apu

Btw isn't 550ti worse than GT610? My gpu is from 2012 and 550ti is from 2011 :?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

If the motherboard is new, the only limiting factor is the amount of money you want to spend. I mentioned the 550 because it's dirt cheap on eBay. If you want something with Vulkan, either look for a Geforce 1030, 1050 or 1660, depending on the budget. If you buy new, skip the 1060, it costs nearly as much as the 1660 but is a lot weaker.
Don't buy below the 1030, these cards are generally too weak.

If you want to buy used, you can find the 1050 for less than €100.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Cool 1050 is indeed one of my aim since I noticed nice performance, good reviews and smooth gameplay in general and with it I should be able to play finally Doom 2016 or even Eternal. I guess have 16gb of ram instead of 8, always ddr3 with 1866mhz max I think, would improve greatly my overall "situation". I will prob get used gpu, but my trust in these things is always pretty scarce if not NULLA0 so that's why I am waiting so much to improve my pc (among life priorities first sigh). Thanks a lot for suggestions Graf, and keep coming fellas :)
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Looks like Inno3D 1050 not Ti costs like 120€, so with also 60/80€ of ram I should get everything for 200€ or less. Even RX570 seems interesting, but I love nVidia gpus lol
Nash

Post by Nash »

If you are buying used, try look for one with warranty. I bought a used demo unit from a computer shop, a GTX 1080 for more than HALF price cut (!!!) with 3 years warranty still.

Good deal, because in 3 years from now, I plan to get a new raytracing card anyway. :)
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Nash wrote:If you are buying used, try look for one with warranty. I bought a used demo unit from a computer shop, a GTX 1080 for more than HALF price cut (!!!) with 3 years warranty still.

Good deal, because in 3 years from now, I plan to get a new raytracing card anyway. :)
Yep, the one I have found seems to have 1 year warranty, and also it isn't used :D
Uuuh yeah, raytracing would be a dream come true for me but for that I should change my motherboard as a start

Return to “Off-Topic”