Bethesda victimizes Wolf with MTs. I fear for Doom's future.

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Bethesda victimizes Wolf with MTs. I fear for Doom's future.

Post by Major Cooke »

Silently, I'm asking myself... Is this why Tim Willits really quit? Hell, even more Blizzard executives are stepping down too. These companies are ousting the good people and bringing in the bad.

I don't think we'll find out anytime soon/at all if that's why he really quit but I sure as hell wouldn't want my name put on anything with the microtransaction boot shoved so far up its ass that it spits rancid dollah bill making schemes.

The virus continues to spread and corrupt. I'm very fearful of Doom's future post-Doom Eternal. To be honest, I'd rather have nothing afterwards than the shit stain that is the new wolfenstein game or fallout 76.

The sad thing is, this isn't the developer/designers decisions. This is the corporate executives and publishers demanding this shit, or so I've been told.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Bethesda victimizes Wolf with MTs. I fear for Doom's fut

Post by Graf Zahl »

You know how it is. These people have a pocket calculator instead of a brain in their head so all they care about is the immediate profit, never realizing that this will slowly but certainly tarnish their reputation until the whole business starts coming down.
Right now people still buy the games, but even the most willing customer will eventually draw a line when all they get is garbage.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

I wouldn't even be bothered by this crap, just sit and wait till this thing dies and then we can overshadow this shite by our own mods and stuff.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

If the US manages to somehow miraculously pull regulation on microtransactions, it will be the death of loot boxes for certain, almost entirely.

But then they'll come up with MORE shit to monetize. I'm not going to list other ways because someone might nick that idea and run off with it to the publishers so they can prepare for the storm. Every corner of the internet has those douchebags lurking in the shadows.

Hope to God those Bethesda cowboys ain't stupid enough to try and tame the wild Doom horse again, or there's going to be more than just big hoof bruises being passed around.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Being able to increase your ingame currency with CheatEngine or ArtMoney doesn't surprise me after the fiasco that Fallout 76 was and partly still is. How simpleminded can you be to leave a debug room in an online multiplayer game and then penalize players for entering it instead of removing it. Yes, I'm talking about the infamous testinghall aka TestQAItems or ToddTest from Morrowind onwards. While New Vegas didn't have it, you could still teleport the storage containers to your location and access their contents. They wanted people to write an essay about why cheating is bad and how they entered the debug room and they *might* get their account back. Ofc the players were smarter and used throwaway accounts as pack mules to offload their loot. This threw the whole economy out of whack because suddenly people had access to the best stuff and would it to others for horrendous prices. Make of that what you will. Bethesdon't have common sense.
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

so..I bought rtx2080 and the first and only games I've played since on it was classic doom games (gzdoom) duke and blood
fvck modern gaming , fvck modern games , fvck modern publishers ...

Long live eternal classics...
Hail to the King \ Rip & tear \ I ... live.....again

yeah..I bet that you read that in Caleb's voice..! :D
Talon1024

Post by Talon1024 »

Good grief.

First, they force DRM shite upon Nintendo Switch players, and then they have the fucking BONES to pull this microtransaction crap?!

I believe more reasonable people would choose more consumer-friendly business practices, like DLCs and Battle passes. I think this Bethesda BS is just overt greed at the expense of their customers. And I really do hope there's some point at which businesses will stop getting away with bullshit like this.

But for businesses, no vote is more loudly heard than a vote cast with your wallet.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

It started with EA and/or Activision and now it's spread to Ubisoft (who threatens to sanction players for XP reward quests because it makes their microtransactions useless) and now Bethesda.

Fucking AAA publishers. At the rate shit's going, might as well stick with lower folks like GOG. Buuuut sadly, they control what the developers do and they own the IPs and shit as a result, I think... I must admit, Destiny being able to break away from Activision... They really nailed the jackpot for them, being able to go free like that. That won't happen with stuff like id games, sadly.

One of these days, I hope the US bill is passed. I want to see them reel and suffer at the thought of making a good video game.

If I were to rank the order of people most responsible for this shit... Behold ye unholy trinity. Of course, there's other people like this but in my eyes, these three take the cake.

- Third place: Torulf Jernström because whaling. He's not in first place because he was truthful, upfront and honest about this shit. But it's still disgusting as all hell.

- Second place: AndrewAndroid Wilson. The guy who's corporation ruined the star wars franchise's Battlefront series. Sure, Battlefront II has recovered quite a bit now but that doesn't excuse the fact it's unacceptable and was buggy as hell on launch. But he recently took a beating with the loss of rights for FIFA 2020's clan (or whatever it was). No, actually, he's not a person. He's just an android. Emotionless. Soulless. A faceless yes-man and pet cash cow to investors. Responsible for mass layoffs too, but also finally took a hint from Nintento about cutting one's own paycheck instead of workers. He at least had SOME humanity by allowing things like Apex Legends be free to play, even if it has microtransactions. These few qualities save him from...

- First place:
Please quit Activision. You're bad for video gaming society as a whole.
Last edited by Major Cooke on Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Major Cooke wrote: Destiny being able to break away from Activision... They really nailed the jackpot for them, being able to go free like that. That won't happen with stuff like id games, sadly.

Which sucks, because id Software literally started as an indy developer by hobbyists. And as you all know, John Carmack is a HUGE proponent of Open Source. (I know he's not with id Software anymore, I'm just saying what all of us on this forum already know about the legacy of the name and their IPs.) The exact opposite of the type of stuff EA, Activision, and Bethesda champion.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

Major Cooke wrote:single individuals and nothing else are killing art!
this is a pretty necessary watch for you, even if it doesn't seem like it at first
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Arctangent wrote:this is a pretty necessary watch for you, even if it doesn't seem like it at first
Do you think you can possibly try and make a point without just dropping a 30 minute video that hardly anyone has time for into the thread?
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

SouthernLion wrote:Which sucks, because id Software literally started as an indy developer by hobbyists. And as you all know, John Carmack is a HUGE proponent of Open Source. (I know he's not with id Software anymore, I'm just saying what all of us on this forum already know about the legacy of the name and their IPs.) The exact opposite of the type of stuff EA, Activision, and Bethesda champion.
Damn straight... Which is why many people are going indy these days. Folks like at GOG, who are developing Cyberpunk 2077 still have the right idea.
Rachael wrote:Do you think you can possibly try and make a point without just dropping a 30 minute video that hardly anyone has time for into the thread?
This please. Though I think I get what Arc's getting at...
Arctangent wrote:
Major Cooke wrote:single individuals and nothing else are killing art!
this is a pretty necessary watch for you, even if it doesn't seem like it at first
I said these guys have the highest blame ratio for this, not solely responsible, but they do carry most of the blame... For this toxic microtransaction mindset. They may not have exactly started it (or they could have?) but they sure are exploiting the hell out of it. Although true I should've mentioned it wasn't just Andrew Wilson involved in ruining the first launch of Battlefront II... I certainly think he masterminded a great deal of it.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Rachael wrote:Do you think you can possibly try and make a point without just dropping a 30 minute video that hardly anyone has time for into the thread?
Isn't this entire thread based around a video nobody has any time to watch?

Besides, it's all just cosmetic nonsense.
Xim

Post by Xim »

Darkcrafter wrote:I wouldn't even be bothered by this crap, just sit and wait till this thing dies and then we can overshadow this shite by our own mods and stuff.
It's how it goes. The best part about the new ID games are the classic doom mods they inspire.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Kinsie wrote:entire thread based around a video nobody has any time to watch?
The difference between mine is, mine's straightforward and has a label on the front of it even summarizing the TL;DW of it all. Arctangent's response is extremely vague.
Kinsie wrote:Besides, it's all just cosmetic nonsense.
"Just cosmetic". I'm going the way of Jim Sterling and really starting to hate that phrase...

Return to “Off-Topic”