New Picard trailer just dropped

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
dpJudas

Re: New Picard trailer just dropped

Post by dpJudas »

I don't have a problem with people being old or different. I'm 100% OK with Picard being a different Picard than back then, because they spent the time required to reintroduce him in his new form. The new characters they added, like that drinking lady with a first grade asshole kid, I'm also perfectly OK with. Data is a bit funny because he's an android, so him turning fat is like.. how silly. But again, I understand why and can live with it.

It is the unexplained back references that get to me. Sure, you could say that's just because I watched too much of ST:TNG and blame it on me. I personally blame it on the show's creators - they sold this show as a Star Trek thing to get me to watch, they chose to use those specific back references, and so I'll include that in my evaluation of the show. Fuck enough with my old memories and I'll stop watching.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I've just seen the episode. I have to admit, when I saw the Icheb scene it did feel very disposable and pointless. At that time, it wasn't immediately apparent that it was in flashback so my reaction was "what was the point in that" and I had a lot of sympathy for what had been said here.

However, as the piece continued, it became apparent that the Icheb scene was the entirety of 7's motivation, gave a plausible reason for her going to Free Cloud under cover (literally), for deceiving Picard and it explained why she was all-too-conveniently the most valuable ex-Borg in existence that just happened to be travelling with Picard. Given the constraints of trying to wrap up this phase of the story within one episode, I felt that it was acceptable to present it in the way that they did.

As for all the call-backs and references; I too have watched pretty much everything that has been released under the Star Trek banner. In fact, I think the only thing I haven't seen is "Discovery" (haven't got around to it yet). So, I think I'm picking up most of the references and Easter eggs, but I don't feel that their memory has been tarnished in any way. I'm just happy to accept that Picard is a more adult and darker piece than has been portrayed before. However, I feel that the darkness always had the potential to be there - we just never saw it. So, I'm happy to mesh the call-backs that give world constancy with the darker tone and still come out with something that is part of the Star Trek continuum.

So, to revisit the tone of the show again: the F-bombs, the more gruesome scenes, the down-beat tone, the "things aren't as rosy as we were told" theming etc etc, personally, that's what I am enjoying. I have always wanted to see something like that in Star Trek. What we got with the various TV shows up to this point was, IMO, something that was processed to be acceptable to a prime-time audience on network television. I always felt that there would be a grimmer, grittier underbelly where people were more ruthless, selfish and immoral. I knew there would be people who swore, who killed people simply for petty gain and/or revenge and I knew that life must still be horrible for some. But, we never got to see it because of how the show was conceived and targeted. When people were tortured, they grimaced slightly and perhaps had some stage-sweat sprayed on them but it never looked really painful. When people were starving, they still managed a cheery smile and didn't look that hungry. The threats were never that threatening and the consequences were never that bad (the Borg were probably the main exception to that IMO).

In short, I guess I always wanted to see an "R-Rated" Star Trek that, yes, showed the nice parts of living in Gene Roddenbery's future but which was also able to show us the nasty side too. While Picard my not be R-Rated, I think it is giving us more-or-less that, so it's what I have wanted to see from Star Trek for a long time.

As an aside, I've always felt the same about Star Wars too and while we haven't had an R-Rated Star Wars, I think Rogue One went some way down that line and even elements from Solo (mostly the trench war scenes) gave us a little hint of it not all being high-octaine swashbuckling in the Star Wars world. Sometimes it does mean executing an ally in a back street rather than have them be captured, or slopping around in the mud for an indistinct mission objective decided by a remote general.

And getting back to Picard, I do wonder how much of the story the opening sequence tries to tell. Initially we see things cracking and falling apart; the whole tone is one of entropy. And that mirrors what we have seen happen to the ordered world of the Federation since the TV show timeline. However, as the titles wrap-up, the pieces start to form back into place and we see a newly reconstructed Picard - reformed and whole. Too much to read into it? We'll see I guess.
Blake00

Post by Blake00 »

Probably noticed I haven't posted here since I blew up a bit over Ep5 haha (although I see you guys have kept things going on without me thankfully haha). I have kept watching the show though but was less invested in it to continue posting my episode round ups. I said after ep 5 that they'd really need some good eps to undo the damage that did, so...

Here's my thoughts on eps 6-9..
Spoiler:
Blake00

Post by Blake00 »

Final Episode 10 rant..

Spoiler:

Return to “Off-Topic”