Doom Eternal E3 2019 Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Re: Doom Eternal E3 2019 Thread

Post by Ghastly »

jazzmaster9 wrote:fast paced gameplay
I like fast-paced gameplay, but I didn't enjoy walking through empty rooms, then getting locked in a room as it dumps the same monsters at me until the game tells me I can proceed. That kind of stop-go-stop-go-stop-go gameplay was why I didn't like Painkiller or Serious Sam much.

I thought my time with Doom 2016 was fun enough. Little disappointed that it looks like they're doing the same get-locked-into-arenas-repeatedly style with Eternal, but I'll probably still enjoy it.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Ghastly wrote:I didn't like Painkiller or Serious Sam much.
Thank you!

I didn't feel it quite so much with Painkiller*, but for me, Serious Sam's battle style of "walk into an obvious arena, lock the doors, spawn monsters in a pattern that was wholly decided but a script that you can have no real effect on, spawn wave after wave after wave to make the battles last too long, release you when the script is exhausted and then rinse and repeat for the whole damned game" made playing the game really tedious at times. There were a lot of cool things about Serious Sam but that style of gameplay really sapped the fun out of it for me. The utter predictability of when the fights would start (a real sinking feeling of "here we go again - dull, dull, dull) and the fact that they had to be completed before you were given permission to move on could make it very frustrating to play. However, so many people seem to feel that it is a great game and that the style of gameplay was fine. While many of the battles may have been fast-paced, the fact that you were trapped in a room and could not progress until a script-locked series of events unfolded made the game as a whole very stilted and stop-start and not fast-paced IMO.

So, yes, I also thought the Doom Eternal footage had that kind of feel to it but I shied away from the comparison because I thought that it might be misinterpreted.

*this could be because I only played Painkiller through once and never touched it again, so I'm maybe just not remembering it well.
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

Ghastly wrote:
jazzmaster9 wrote:fast paced gameplay
I like fast-paced gameplay, but I didn't enjoy walking through empty rooms, then getting locked in a room as it dumps the same monsters at me until the game tells me I can proceed. That kind of stop-go-stop-go-stop-go gameplay was why I didn't like Painkiller or Serious Sam much.

I thought my time with Doom 2016 was fun enough. Little disappointed that it looks like they're doing the same get-locked-into-arenas-repeatedly style with Eternal, but I'll probably still enjoy it.
I mean if i wanted to play something that plays exactly like Doom 1 i would just play Doom 1 since its a great game. Doom 2016 still gave me the same thrill and excitement as the OG Doom game so I liked it.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Doom 2016 arenas got a bit repetitive, which is disappointing since the maps were really nice and complex, but most of the time they were devoid of monsters already in them until you triggered a fight. From the looks of the E3 footage, Doom Eternal has a lot more monsters already in the map, which is a step up. And those maps have a lot more verticality than 2016's maps, so another plus.

I'm just hoping my computer can run it. I'm hoping the system requirements aren't too much higher than Doom 2016.
LOZ_98
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by LOZ_98 »

I'm not sure how I feel about this, the environments look cluttered with the giant weird looking pickups, Random "?" Pickups and Glowing orbs and Floating weapons just don't feel right, What is this Mario Kart? I liked Doom 2016's approach where pickups made sense and were placed in a more realistic way, You can easily make the argument that this was done to speed up picking things up in the arenas but I really think just a simple glow effect would have been enough to highlight pickups, instead they decided to increase the glowiness and make the weapon pickups float.

Another thing I really don't like is the new HUD, It takes up half of the screen and is neon green and that really hurts my eyes, I liked the one they've shown in earlier trailers better.

It's hard to tell whether they're really getting rid of arenas or not, that's the aspect of D'16 I found the most repetitive so I'm hoping there's more variety in terms of level design, which the trailer seems to hint at with the platforming and swimming segments.

As for the Multiplayer, it looks cool I guess, It looks like something I could play once or twice then forget about it. I wasn't really into D'16 Multiplayer, even after they introduced Classic Deathmatch so I don't mind it.

Return to “Off-Topic”