Blood: Fresh Supply (Blood remaster) RIP 2019-2019

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Nash

Blood: Fresh Supply (Blood remaster) RIP 2019-2019

Post by Nash »

Blood: Fresh Supply, the remaster from Nightdive Studios, is out now. Currently it's only out on GOG, although PC Gamer did report that it would be out on other platforms soon.

It's available on all the usual PC platforms: Steam, GOG, Discord, and Humble Bundle.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1010750
https://www.gog.com/game/blood_fresh_supply
https://discordapp.com/store
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/bloo ... er=pcgamer

I'm gonna pick this up when it gets on Steam. Excited to see a somewhat official source "port" after all these years!

What I am curious to know about is if B:FS is reverse engineered like other Blood port attempts (GDX and NBlood), or if it's based on the official source code. I mean, I know it runs on the Kex Engine, but the game code could have been ported over from the original source code, if it was available. Anyone who has any information, please let us know!
Last edited by Nash on Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dancso

Re: Blood: Fresh Supply (Blood remaster)

Post by Dancso »

I believe those who own the original on GoG get a special discount (don't know if it's timed or if it will only apply to GoG).
I see a base price of $10.08 and it's showing 50% discount off that.
Looking forward to checking this out, i actually haven't gotten any mileage out of the original because of how clunky my options for playing it were.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Nash wrote:What I am curious to know about is if B:FS is reverse engineered like other Blood port attempts (GDX and NBlood), or if it's based on the official source code. I mean, I know it runs on the Kex Engine, but the game code could have been ported over from the original source code, if it was available. Anyone who has any information, please let us know!
I believe it's based on Kaiser's long-running reverse-engineering efforts, probably because, I mean, it was right there, right?
Dancso wrote:I believe those who own the original on GoG get a special discount (don't know if it's timed or if it will only apply to GoG).
I see a base price of $10.08 and it's showing 50% discount off that.
I'm told by someone that owns the original Blood on Steam that you should be getting a 50%-off coupon for the same discount.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thanks for the "heads up". Downloading right now. I got 49% off (presumably because I have the original through GOG too).

[edit] Just played the first map. First impressions: seems to work well and looks pretty good. I need to mess with the options a bit more to get it exactly to my tastes though. I could be wrong (don't have the original installed ATM) but there seems to be more voxel models than in the original. [/edit]
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

How does the engine handle? Like Build or more like GZDoom or Quake?
That'd be the deciding factor for me to buy it.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Seeing it say "kex engine" made me smile. That was also the prefix of a bunch of math classes in DLight. :)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yeah, same thing. But I wonder if it got the decent controls from Kaiser's Doom64 port or the shoddy Build controls when playing with the mouse. If it's Build style I'd pass, I can't stand how bad the mouse is in it. Every time I fire up Duke Nukem or Shadow Warrior the piss-poor mouse control is enough to quit playing after only a few minutes.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It feels less build-like to me than something like EDuke32. No sure I'd go as far as to say GZDoom-like, but I do think it feels better than Build. It has the following gameplay options, which may be of interest:

I think I recall you saying that you don't like Build slope tilting, so that appears to be possible to disable.

Somewhat ironically (given the GZDoom defaults are crap thread) personally, I would prefer the pixels to be a bit more blurred and the lighting to be less vanilla banded/colourmapped/whateverituses. I've tried using the different renderers (DirectX 11, OpenGL and Vulkan) and tried the different antialiasing modes but none of them seemed to give me quite what I was looking for. (Vulkan just crashed when I changed to it FWiW.)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Thanks for the info. I guess then I pass. Why buy it again if they don't even bother adding a hardware renderer that actually uses its strengths.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

In case it helps Graf, or anyone else, screenshots taken with these settings:

and just to show the dynamic light from the flare (on the ceiling)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Good news, well, on my computer at least - mouselook works and feels ultra tight and perfect right out of the box; zero fiddling was needed. I went in and just played. :)

So yeah, it's almost GZDoom-like to me.

Not surprised, considering we're not dealing with Build here.

I think the decision to keep the paletted look is more for aesthetical reasons, they wanted to preserve the original look. There is a non-Y-shearing renderer, but it does nothing for the colour banding and texture filtering.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nash wrote:There is a non-Y-shearing renderer, but it does nothing for the colour banding and texture filtering.
... two reasons not to buy it.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Nash, any idea where it saves my personal preferences? I installed it through GOG Galaxy and I don't see anything in either the game folder or my appdata folder that looks like an updated ini or cfg file of any sort. I wanted to have a look to see if there were any options in there that I could tweak but which are not in the menu.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Enjay, it's in C:\Users\<your user id>\AppData\Roaming\Nightdive Studios\Blood EX\kexengine.cfg. The only interesting thing I found in there that's not in the menu is motion blur. No texture filtering.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I swear those things wait for me to be low on money to come =p

I'll throw my wallet on the screen as soon as the Steam version gets out, if it does.

I suppose this has all the missions and extras from the other packs, right?

Return to “Off-Topic”