A shoutout to the ZDoom community.

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
TheBeardedJedi

A shoutout to the ZDoom community.

Post by TheBeardedJedi »

The community here is unique. It's hard to find a group of individuals so humble, yet so skilled at coding. I've been lurking on these forums since 2011, but since then I have seen usernames like ArcTangent and Binary which imply that I've stumbled across a group of nerds. What I like about the zdoom forums is that people are here to share projects and learn, and when there is competition, it's there for the fun of understanding new mapping techniques, etc. What I didn't realize was how powerful that kind of community can be at the same time. When I started going to the zdoom forums eight years ago, I thought it was a simple gaming site. I asked myself how people could know so much about coding and math-related principles.

When I started tinkering with the mods and learning about decorate (and a little bit of zscript), I put the coding-related skills on my resume. I was almost dumbfounded when IBM asked me to be a coding manager at one of their locations years later, because I never took a coding class in my life! I literally learned everything necessary through zdoom and its many functions, yet this has been a huge help, so I wanted to say thank you to this community for being so approachable with questions and simply having a positive attidue overall. I know I don't post much, but I have been reading over new techniques and tweaking new mods almost daily from these forums. The knowledge from this site is very useful, and it's appreciated.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: A shoutout to the ZDoom community.

Post by Rachael »

ZDoom is responsible for launching a few careers, most notably Blzut3 and also a few others in various forms. It's good to know your's can be added to that list.

The wealth of knowledge here is part of why I have an interest in keeping this site alive. I think GZDoom has done more to extend Doom than any other source port or game engine has any other game - period. No source port exists for Duke, Shadow Warrior, Quake 1/2/3/4, Hexen/Heretic 2, and many many others, as GZDoom has done for Doom.

What makes a programmer more than anything else is a curiosity and the desire to explore the unknown. With these hugely underrated traits, a person can achieve anything they want in life.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

When I started tinkering with the mods and learning about decorate (and a little bit of zscript), I put the coding-related skills on my resume.
On that note, how much zscript differ from c++? Because from my perspective real programmers more focused on pipelines between program and hardware, and null pointers, than on constructing logical, tautology , constructions :)
Because I have chances to get a job based on my scripting skills. Not IBM, but still...
TheBeardedJedi

Post by TheBeardedJedi »

I consider ZScript to be it's own kind of coding, but in a good way. I worked on C and C++ in the past, but they seem much more focused on skills than on application of said skills. Zscript on the other hand seems to be completely about applying what you know, which is why I enjoy it.

Return to “Off-Topic”