Your opinion on Build/EDuke32?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Viscra Maelstrom

Re: Your opinion on Build/EDuke32?

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i can attest to mouse wonkiness as well. i've played "the big 4" Build titles, and i never felt like i was in control, like something is "off" and holding me back. maybe if i had a game like Duke 3D that i grew up playing instead of other titles like Doom and Quake 2, i would've gotten used to it eventually, but as it stands it's an anomaly that i cannot get used to (that, and EDuke also always felt "off" to me compared to other source-ports like GZDoom, or even the Doomsday engine. like it's an easily upset kitten i have to be very delicate with handling, or else it'll go nuts and claw my face off).
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

The same for me. I havent played much of build games with mouse, but the mouse movement in Ion Maiden is just weird to me. Back in the days when D3D and Blood came out, I did not used mouse for controls, only keyboard. So I cant say much about how mouse behave in original Build engine, but in eDuke32 its just weird. I have to use cheats to be able to play it, because of the clumsy mouse behaviour.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I just went back and played a couple of maps in EDuke32 to refresh my memory. Can confirm: mouse bad. :P
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

I thought the mouse thing was just my imagination or my system. Interesting. It's not too bad to me, I powered through Duke Nukem 3D and some of the expansions a few months ago and while not Quake 3 precise, it only took a few minutes to get used to.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

At this point mentioning that the mouse is off to me would be like yelling in a perfect echo chamber.

But mouse aiming is also off for me in Build.

Also CON scripting looks like a real nightmare, I am thankful for all the wonderful developers who have helped shape G/ZDoom and its modding support.
XxMiltenXx

Post by XxMiltenXx »

As Build Engine games were new, I really played them a lot (Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, Blood) and I really enjoyed them.

Nowadays however I only enjoy Blood. I think I just played Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior too much back in the day. I have never played Ion Maiden though, I might give it a shot at some point.

I also have this issue with mouse aiming in the Build Engine. I was also wondering why no one else ever complained, but now I can see that I am not the only one. The left and right aiming is fine, but when you also add up/down, it feels very wonky, as if the movement is "separated" from one another, or the speed of the X- and Y-Axis just don't match up with each other. But even trying different speeds for each axis doesn't alleviate this problem at all.

Another thing I dislike about EDuke32is, that there is no stable branch like GZDoom has. The version you download on the homepage is always the latest SVN version with all bugs that might be in it. This way you're forced to either wait for a new release that fixes a serious bug you encountered, or go back to another version, hoping that bug doesn't exist yet.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

Never had the mouselook issues*, probably because basically every first-person game I play needs adjustment to be comfortable for me.

* WINROTT's mouselook is pure horror, mainly because it's so hacked in. I don't think that counts though.
uglystru
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by uglystru »

The one problem I have with mouse-look in this engine is the "looking down". It definitely handles 3D mouselook better than some other retro FPS engines but I still have some issues where I'm limited on a Y axis. For example, Ion Maiden has these small spider things that will bite at your ankles but you can't kill them within melee range. You have to back up to kill even get sight on them. As NeuralStunner said, I didn't have much issue with the remainder of the mouselook features because I adjusted it slightly to be a bit more comfortable. My aim is still hot garbage, but I always have aim issues with new games because none of them really feel the same.

I understand that it might be a comfort thing for most people though. I can't use Boom ports for Doom because the mouse movement feels too clunky or just "off" to me. I've been using ZDoom ports for the last 10 years though so there's that.
R4L
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by R4L »

Having played through L.A. Meltdown again, another gripe I forgot about is jumping. There's a small delay after pushing the jump button versus actually jumping, which is infuriating.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

R4L wrote:Having played through L.A. Meltdown again, another gripe I forgot about is jumping. There's a small delay after pushing the jump button versus actually jumping, which is infuriating.
Oh man, I'm not great at jumping in games at the best of times, but I find trying to get on that ledge with the rocket launcher in E1L1 one of the most frustrating things in the whole game. I have fannied around falling off the window ledge and the crate more times than I care to think about. Just let me get to the rocket launcher dammit! :evil:
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Duke jumping, to be fair, acts somewhat backwards from how one might expect - I find it's more predictable if you push the Jump key before pressing forward, since Duke has 100% air control and a slight delay when jumping that makes it tricky to get the jump in while running off a ledge.
JadedLexi
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by JadedLexi »

I never had any problems with Duke's jumping or mouselook. Maybe vanilla Duke, but not EDuke's.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

wildweasel wrote:Duke jumping, to be fair, acts somewhat backwards from how one might expect - I find it's more predictable if you push the Jump key before pressing forward, since Duke has 100% air control and a slight delay when jumping that makes it tricky to get the jump in while running off a ledge.
Ion Maiden does this too - most secrets in the game require you to get proficient with the game's physics system which is nothing like Doom or Quake's.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Pity. I even get annoyed when Doom mappers take knowledge of the movement system for granted, sometimes even requiring straferunning in order to complete a map. Such things are an instant turn-off for me and highly inconsiderate towards more casual players.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Well - at least with what I've played so far - nothing in the game actually requires trick jumping for mere completion - only the secrets.

Return to “Off-Topic”