Windows 7 Support Ends in a Year

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Windows 7 Support Ends in a Year

Post by Rachael »

Remember that both 8 and 8.1 are on limited life, too. By 2023, expect that Windows 10 will be the only system Microsoft will officially support.

Cortana is awful, I'll agree, but I never see her past the initial setup. She is always the first thing I disable - and in the versions of Windows where you did not have that option, I just fumbled with the language settings until she was gone. It seems she was not available in Swedish, yet, at the time. ;)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I actually forgot Cortana was even a thing, since it's so easy to disable her within moments of first boot.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I don't want any internet-connected electronic assistant whatsoever. It's not what I have a PC for.

Don't get me an Amazon echo, don't enable Google Assistant on my phone, don't get me an iPhone with Siri... none of that. I'm not interested.

Though, I will admit - I find it a bit curious that all 4 of those turned out to be female.
RiboNucleic Asshat
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RiboNucleic Asshat »

I think some assistants are actually male only in specific languages, which is... a bit baffling. I'm uncertain who makes that decision or why, but it feels rather arbitrary to me.

I know that Google translate's TTS has some languages with a female voice and others with a male voice. I wonder if there's some sort of underlying association between language and perceived gender?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

RiboNucleic Asshat wrote:I think some assistants are actually male only in specific languages, which is... a bit baffling. I'm uncertain who makes that decision or why, but it feels rather arbitrary to me.

I know that Google translate's TTS has some languages with a female voice and others with a male voice. I wonder if there's some sort of underlying association between language and perceived gender?
I suspect it's a cultural thing as well, as a given nation may feel that a male voice is more of an authority, while another may believe that a female voice is more comforting to listen to. It probably goes into gender and power dynamics, but what keeps coming to mind is Q's line from Tomorrow Never Dies: "Thought you'd pay more attention to a female voice."
axredneck
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch

Post by axredneck »

RiboNucleic Asshat wrote:I think some assistants are actually male only in specific languages, which is... a bit baffling. I'm uncertain who makes that decision or why, but it feels rather arbitrary to me.

I think it's because of gender of person who's voice was used to train a neural network.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Rachael wrote:Though, I will admit - I find it a bit curious that all 4 of those turned out to be female.
At airports and train stations, it's usually a female voice (generally synthesized rather than an actual person speaking) who announces stuff. I was once told this was partly motivated by acoustics -- the more acute timbre of a female voice being easier to understand for a larger part of the population than the graver tone of a male voice. I don't know if this was also what motivated the choice of voice for these assistants, or whether it wasn't simply an (unconscious or not) association of secretarial/assistant work with women, since it is a pink-collar profession.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

interestingly, the announcing voice for when a train is about to arrive here in Sweden is both a male and a female voice, one for each direction. i'm curious as to why it isn't uniform, since the voice inside trains and buses are female.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i'm curious as to why it isn't uniform, since the voice inside trains and buses are female.
I think it has the same effect as colour-coding. A voice's timbre is very easy to imagine as a colour, and if you have two different colours for each direction then it makes it easier to tell them apart and know what to listen for.

Similarly, in the US, while we do not have synthetic announcers (the operators use the PA system, at least where I live), we have colour coded our lines and routes. So if you want a train that goes on the red route, you have to wait for the blue train to pass first, or you can take the red train if you're really impatient but then you have to get off at the fork.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Rachael wrote:
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i'm curious as to why it isn't uniform, since the voice inside trains and buses are female.
I think it has the same effect as colour-coding. A voice's timbre is very easy to imagine as a colour, and if you have two different colours for each direction then it makes it easier to tell them apart and know what to listen for.

Similarly, in the US, while we do not have synthetic announcers (the operators use the PA system, at least where I live), we have colour coded our lines and routes. So if you want a train that goes on the red route, you have to wait for the blue train to pass first, or you can take the red train if you're really impatient but then you have to get off at the fork.
Here in Oregon, the MAX light-rail line has a female voice that announces stops in English, and a male voice that announces them in Spanish.
kairenza

Post by kairenza »

It seems like all of the Microsoft legends are dying off on us, what a shame.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Rachael wrote:I don't want any internet-connected electronic assistant whatsoever. It's not what I have a PC for.

Don't get me an Amazon echo, don't enable Google Assistant on my phone, don't get me an iPhone with Siri... none of that. I'm not interested.
I see we have the same opinion about these things. I spend enough time with computers already, so my private life is deliberately entirely free of them, I rarely carry a smartphone with me, and the one I use doesn't even have a permanent internet connection, I use a cheap prepaid contract where I only pay a few cents for the phone calls.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Darkcrafter »

Double for that. I don't see many reasons to use a smartphone other than calling and whatsapp that I only use for study. I'm a PC-man. What's about win7, let this crap die. I like Vista interface the most in windows world and 7 didn't nail it but was more stable. Windows 10 comes with lots of fancy stuff that can be disabled but man performance and drivers wise this thing made a big leap forward. What should I say if this thing detected my old 15 years old printer just as soon as I plugged it into a usb port. I tried to install win7 with a ryzen cpu and it worked but some software just din't startup with a 0xc0007 message. Win 10 solved everything. The one thing I don't like is interface which comes back to original flat looking design and there is no easy way back for a vista appearance.
Hexereticdoom

Post by Hexereticdoom »

MartinHowe wrote:I despise Windows 10 for the usual reasons; GUI is terrible and telementry.

The childish pukings of Cortana during installation don't help either. I do not need to be baby-talked about WiFi.

But my biggest is "Why don't you use this app instead". An OS should sit quietly in the background and be my obedient slave. Nothing more. How *dare* it (the programmers) question my choices.
+1

There has never been a version of Windows as ugly and intrusive as this 10 thing. Unacceptable...

(I also hate that Cortina Rasgada and specially her slutty voice. Yuck!) :blergh:
MartinHowe wrote:And if there were a decent replacement for Paint.NET, and GZDB, I'd be on Linux already. I had no idea that *any* version of GZDB worked in Linux, though I've not done any mapping for a while, so must give it a try.
Talking about Paint.net, have you tried Pinta? It's almost an exact clone of this program, I think you should have a look at it (if you have not already done so, of course):

https://pinta-project.com/pintaproject/pinta/
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I had this job fixing some computers for a few months... and it was more than enough to discover people really didn't liked Win10 AT ALL.

Return to “Off-Topic”