Doomworld forum

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Malice

Doomworld forum

Post by Malice »

Hello,

Sorry to make this my first post here but does anyone have contact with any of the admins on the doomworld forum?

I have been trying for days now to report several bugs on some of the ongoing mod projects there but have no way to do so since the registration links have all been removed from the forum and I keep receiving email bounce back "could not be delivered" messages to all the accounts listed on the "contact" page.

Any help would be appreciated as there are some awesome works in progress that I'm not able to provide feedback to the developers on.

Cheers.
Gez

Re: Doomworld forum

Post by Gez »

I linked your post on the Doomworld thread for forum issues.
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/6 ... nt-1948200
Malice

Post by Malice »

Gez wrote:I linked your post on the Doomworld thread for forum issues.
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/6 ... nt-1948200
Thank you.

Hopefully I can get in contact soon with someone that can work out the registration issue.

I've never seen a forum that wasn't open for registration before. Quite odd...
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

It's back up. It was disabled briefly due to spambots.
Malice wrote:I've never seen a forum that wasn't open for registration before. Quite odd...
This forum disabled registration for a period IIRC, I remember yelling at people about it when I found out.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

They again have a problem with a spambot

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/SMkEScA[/imgur]

so the site may be disabled again. :?:
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

there was a time long ago where the ZDF disabled registration in order to keep a banned member and then troublemaker out. That was long ago though, conveniently this all happened a few months before I registered, as I remember I was the first to even notice registrations were even open again. heh
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

We too had issues with spambots in the past where we had to disable new user registrations. It's a common practice, even though it disallows legitimate users attempting to join. Give them a bit to have a pint and let this all blow over.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

One of the most effective defenses against spam bots and persistent troublemakers is to disable registrations. It's really better if you have some sort of human interaction way of letting people in, though. When I've done it, I've made people accounts by request via Discord.
Malice

Post by Malice »

Kinsie wrote:It's back up. It was disabled briefly due to spambots.
Malice wrote:I've never seen a forum that wasn't open for registration before. Quite odd...
This forum disabled registration for a period IIRC, I remember yelling at people about it when I found out.
Kappes Buur wrote:They again have a problem with a spambot

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/SMkEScA[/imgur]

so the site may be disabled again. :?:
Hellser wrote:We too had issues with spambots in the past where we had to disable new user registrations. It's a common practice, even though it disallows legitimate users attempting to join. Give them a bit to have a pint and let this all blow over.
Rachael wrote:One of the most effective defenses against spam bots and persistent troublemakers is to disable registrations. It's really better if you have some sort of human interaction way of letting people in, though. When I've done it, I've made people accounts by request via Discord.
I just got back and tried to register and it's closed again?

I do not use social media or have a third party account with any of the additional services listed there since I refuse to have my data harvested for profit by a corporation...

If one of you admins could please send me a PM here then we could get this resolved through manual account creation.

Thank you.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

That's gonna be tricky - none of us are Doomworld admins. I'm not sure how to get in touch with them, either. :?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Looks like registrations are open right now, judging by the sudden flood of Chinese spam.

Just try to check a few times per day every day I guess. There is no overlap between Doomworld and ZDoom forum administration or moderation. In fact, I'm not sure the Doomworld admins are even members at all here; if they are, they aren't active.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Linguica and Mordeth appear here on occasion. But extremely rarely. I haven't seen any other Doomworld admin, or if I did I had no idea who they are. I only know who 3 of them are, anyway.
Malice

Post by Malice »

Gez wrote:Looks like registrations are open right now, judging by the sudden flood of Chinese spam.

Just try to check a few times per day every day I guess. There is no overlap between Doomworld and ZDoom forum administration or moderation. In fact, I'm not sure the Doomworld admins are even members at all here; if they are, they aren't active.
https://i.postimg.cc/yYz3F19S/Doomworld ... ration.jpg

:(

I tried to embed the image here but receive the error "You cannot use certain BBCodes: [img]."...

Not sure why doomworld just doesn't implement a human verification option like nearly every other modern forum to be honest. Seems like a lot of unnecessary hoops to jump through for a new member...
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Malice wrote: Not sure why doomworld just doesn't implement a human verification option like nearly every other modern forum to be honest. Seems like a lot of unnecessary hoops to jump through for a new member...
It's not up to you whether Doomworld wants a new member. Period. It's up to Doomworld and Doomworld alone.

For things that are on my list of "not my problem", this ranks pretty high on the "I don't want to deal with it" category. We are not Doomworld administrators on this site and most of us likely never will be. You will have to take it up with them, or hope that a Good Samaritan on this forum is willing to proxy messages to the Doomworld administration to help them get in contact with you.

I certainly won't do it - and I will not encourage any staff members here to do it either. Doomworld does not belong to us, and we have no say what happens there. People need to understand this because we are not here as a resource for solving the problems you have over there.

So I am sorry, but I am closing this out. I am doing that because I very much want to emphasize that I do not want to shoulder the responsibility of being an ambassador to them, nor do I want any ZDF staff members to be forced to deal with that either. Hopefully someone is willing to ping the administrators over there and see if they're willing to make contact with you here. But that's the end of the line for this issue, at least for this thread. I wish you the best of luck in resolving this, but this forum is not for these kind of issues. I encourage anyone willing to help you to send you a private message and get the ball rolling with contacting an admin there.

Return to “Off-Topic”