Am I the only one that liked Duke Nukem Forever?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
PlayerLin
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Re: Am I the only one that liked Duke Nukem Forever?

Post by PlayerLin »

DNF just a "OK" game, I like it, and I do expect it would be something like Duke3D or even more better, but it was not which made me sad, the DLC is better than main game but just not enough.
Viscra Maelstrom wrote: honestly though, i'm pretty fine with the game existing as it is. it's harmless, but underwhelming. i'm far more upset with what a bad job that Gearbox has done treating the IP after the fact. way to kill the legacy of the series by making previous titles completely unavailable on digital stores.

Megaton Edition was pulled and it had some copyright problems made it was an illegal product, it's like sort of copyright hell I think.

Yes, it doesn't changed Gearbox Shovelware's fault since they still haven't nailed it even Randy said he's trying to "sort" that problem by making a new compilation. And other problems like laziness on the Duke 20th WT port and lack of news about their plans for Duke IP, and they haven't proves their shit, yet.

So I don't buy Randy's shit, unless something finally ships and we can get and play that.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

don't forget that all the other Duke games got pulled as well. Duke Nukem 1, 2, and Manhattan Project, all gone. if you want to play them now you either have to hunt down a physical copy or acquire it through other means again.
PlayerLin
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:don't forget that all the other Duke games got pulled as well. Duke Nukem 1, 2, and Manhattan Project, all gone. if you want to play them now you either have to hunt down a physical copy or acquire it through other means again.
They were pulled, after Gearbox Shovelware owns the whole Duke IP after the lawsuit -- 3DR was ruined their agreement with Gearbox by making Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction(became to Bombshell after lawsuit happened) without talked to Gearbox first.

I guess the new compilation from Gearbox may also have them, but not sure, didn't found any source about that.
NiTROACTiVE

Post by NiTROACTiVE »

I liked Duke Nukem Forever too. Even if it's not as amazing as the other games in the series, I still had fun playing them.
AlphaSoraKun
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by AlphaSoraKun »

Hey, I liked DNF, but it's not my favorite though.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:if you want to play them now you either have to hunt down a physical copy or acquire it through other means again.
Maybe i'm just way too stupid for this kind of stuff, but why the heck would you waste your time hunting down a physical copy if you can't get it legally anyways?

By buying a physical copy, you aren't giving the devs the money they deserve for making it so it's basically pirating but you pay for it :?
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

TDRR wrote:
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:if you want to play them now you either have to hunt down a physical copy or acquire it through other means again.
Maybe i'm just way too stupid for this kind of stuff, but why the heck would you waste your time hunting down a physical copy if you can't get it legally anyways?

By buying a physical copy, you aren't giving the devs the money they deserve for making it so it's basically pirating but you pay for it :?
That's just the way morals work, sometimes. If it's not legally available, or in print, the only other advantage I'd think of for buying an original copy is to have it in a (mostly) untouched factory-default state. While this isn't as big of a problem now as it used to be (thanks to MS et al. deciding that save data doesn't belong in the game folder), you aren't always guaranteed that a pirated/preserved copy of a game is 100% the way you would have gotten it from a store. On the one hand, the changes tend to include things like pre-installed copy protection cracks, patches, and essential changes to the configuration (like that No One Lives Forever installer floating around that already has the "widescreen fix" on it, among other things), but on the other, you can sometimes also inherit the distributor's customized controls, saved games, or find their nonsensical epitaph somewhere because the copied disk had already been played with.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

NeonLights95 wrote:Hey, I liked DNF, but it's not my favorite though.
Unrelated, I love your avatar. I have the Leonheart lion symbol on the keychain for my TransAm.
AlphaSoraKun
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by AlphaSoraKun »

RexS wrote:
NeonLights95 wrote:Hey, I liked DNF, but it's not my favorite though.
Unrelated, I love your avatar. I have the Leonheart lion symbol on the keychain for my TransAm.
Thanks, Rex.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

wildweasel wrote: That's just the way morals work, sometimes. If it's not legally available, or in print, the only other advantage I'd think of for buying an original copy is to have it in a (mostly) untouched factory-default state. While this isn't as big of a problem now as it used to be (thanks to MS et al. deciding that save data doesn't belong in the game folder), you aren't always guaranteed that a pirated/preserved copy of a game is 100% the way you would have gotten it from a store. On the one hand, the changes tend to include things like pre-installed copy protection cracks, patches, and essential changes to the configuration (like that No One Lives Forever installer floating around that already has the "widescreen fix" on it, among other things), but on the other, you can sometimes also inherit the distributor's customized controls, saved games, or find their nonsensical epitaph somewhere because the copied disk had already been played with.
Ah, thanks for explaining, now it makes more sense.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

TDRR wrote:Maybe i'm just way too stupid for this kind of stuff, but why the heck would you waste your time hunting down a physical copy if you can't get it legally anyways?
Getting a second-hand copy is a legal way to get it. That's a big reason why the second-hand market is so important, because copies of things can remain in circulation even after new copies stop being made. People who no longer want their copy can get some reimbursement, and people who want a copy still have ways to find one.
The devs* already got the money for that copy when it was originally purchased. When it's sold second-hand, the original owner loses the copy while the new owner gains it; it's simply a transfer of the copy, no new work is generated. The devs* don't lose anything since they were already paid for that copy.

* By "devs", that typically means the publisher. At least for non-indies, the actual developers get paid by their publishing partner when their game pitch is accepted and they reach certain development milestones. The publisher gets the money, the developers don't usually see a dime from sales.

Return to “Off-Topic”