Project Warlock

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Project Warlock

Post by Rachael »

Apeirogon wrote:Its more about welfare of a such person than anything else.
For some one 800$, price of a "conditional average nowadays computer" TM, is a normal monthly expenses at chips/snacks/bubble gum/etc. while some one can live half of a year for this money(water/gas/light/food/go with the girlfriend to the restaurant/etc).
I am not unfeeling about such people, much as I might seem to be - however as Graf says there's a cost-benefit analysis that always goes into it. I've said it before and I will say it again - for about $50-$100 you can get a decent computer supporting at least OpenGL 3.3 or 4 and it will run the modern builds of GZDoom on it. Look on second-hand sites like Ebay or Amazon. If you can't afford that - you really will have to work on saving your money and being frugal. And that means buying second-hand merchandise whenever possible. Everything breaks - even some of your furniture, eventually. You will have to replace it. (Flea markets and pawn shops, whatever they may be called in your country, if they are common in your area, are a great place to look, too - and not just for computers!)
Apeirogon wrote:They already 100 years old, if count from first actual, existing "in flesh", computer mark-1, and almost 200 years old if count from babbage engine, first actual computing machine.
And it already standardized, IBM PC architecture.
Irrelevant, and is not what I was referring to. You could make an adding machine out of stone wheels if you wanted to. Abaci (the earliest known computers) also are pretty much as old as written history, itself. I am talking about today's semiconductor-powered personal computers - the ones that are capable of connecting to the internet. These been around for about 60 years - hence, extremely young, in the grand scheme of things. The innovations driving these machines are targeted on the very semiconductors by which they are powered by.
Apeirogon wrote:I remember I read somewhere that this "bleeding edge of technology" almost stopped in development because of limiting the minimum size of semiconductors. Something about border where quantum properties of an electron overcome its electrical properties and stuff. Like, you still can make transistor more compact, but it require more and more work to do so.
If that were the case, we wouldn't have new computers coming out still. What's really stopped is the clock rate on CPU's have stopped going up. That doesn't stop GPU's from adding more cores, or gaining more complex processing paths to increase performance (which actually is what happened to CPU's going from 32-bit to 64-bit).

Return to “Off-Topic”