Chex Quest 3 broken

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
IDKrisis

Chex Quest 3 broken

Post by IDKrisis »

Curious about old Doom engine games, I decided to try playing Chex Quest, so I downloaded Chex Quest 3. It suffers from a weird error which I have not been able to explain. Enemies never shoot. They attack in melee, but never at range. I have searched far and wide and cannot seem to find anyone else who has experienced this error.

As far as I can tell, I have done absolutely nothing which would cause this game to run differently on my computer compared to anyone else. I simply download the game and double-click the .exe to play. Could someone find an explanation for this please?

EDIT: It turns out this is no malfunction. Only certain enemies are meant to throw slime over any distance.
Last edited by IDKrisis on Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Chex Quest 3 broken

Post by Wiw »

That's what they're programmed to do, I think.
IDKrisis

Post by IDKrisis »

Strange. Looking up information on the game, it mentions enemies "throwing" slime, but I have not encountered this.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

some of the enemies have projectile attacks, like the ones replacing the Imps and Cacodemons, but most of the low-tier Flemoids that replaces the Former Human and Sergeant enemies does indeed only have melee attacks. the games specifically designed them this way to make the game more accessible to kids, i would imagine.

you're probably confused because, IIRC, if you tried to load the original Chex Quest files as a mod into Doom 1 or 2, then the behavior of certain enemies wouldn't work as intended, like the aforementioned Flemoids that replaces the zombies now using hitscan attacks, and the Baron replacement, that large slime wall, would be able to move around and the hitbox wouldn't correlate with its huge sprite. at least, that's how i think it goes.
IDKrisis

Post by IDKrisis »

Okay, thanks. I guess I simply misunderstood how the game was supposed to work.

Return to “Off-Topic”