Episode list help?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
popguy12

Episode list help?

Post by popguy12 »

Before i start here, i just want to say that im new here. Ive been playing doom for a few years now. I really didnt know where to put this thread so i just put it here. With that covered onto what i have to say.

I recently came across the wadsmoosh program that merges the doom iwads together and an idea hit me. Why not try putting in stuff like freedoom and chex quest in. Only problem was that wadsmoosh doesnt work with those. When i found the wadext program later that week i thought i had it figured out. I extracted chex and stuff and loaded it into doom as if it was a mod. (i used doom 1 for this) When i did though, the three episodes in the chex3 iwad instead overwrote the first three episodes of doom 1. My question is if there is a way to change something in the files of chex 3 that will make the three episodes register as episodes that show up after the other episodes on the list. My first idea failed there but my other idea has to do with changing the map names and stuff in the mapinfo file to make the maps load kinda like the extermination day megawad for brutal doom. It creates a new episode called "Extermination day" respectively. is it possible to do something like that but instead with the chex episodes? i want to try creating a couple files that i can load into doom and it loads up everything from freedoom, chex, hexen, heretic, and stuff like that.

Thanks
Zen3001

Re: Episode list help?

Post by Zen3001 »

I'm not sure if I'm really understanding what you want, what I'm understanding is that you want to put freedoom and chex quest in one (i)wad.

That's kind of pointless, don't waste too much time with this, if you're new here it would be more useful to spend a little more time with actual modding I mean working with actors (or now called classes in zscript) and mapping. Gzdoom's standard iwad picker is allready easy enough but that's just my worthless opinion
Gez

Post by Gez »

The episode list is generated automatically from all episodes defined in MAPINFO.

An episode is defined simply by its starting level.

The Chex Quest episodes overrode the Doom episodes because the Chex Quest levels overrode the Doom levels.

To get them all to work together, you'd have to rename the Chex levels and redefine their episodes.

Read on [wiki]MAPINFO[/wiki] and subpages.
popguy12

Post by popguy12 »

Zen3001 wrote:I'm not sure if I'm really understanding what you want, what I'm understanding is that you want to put freedoom and chex quest in one (i)wad.

That's kind of pointless, don't waste too much time with this, if you're new here it would be more useful to spend a little more time with actual modding I mean working with actors (or now called classes in zscript) and mapping. Gzdoom's standard iwad picker is allready easy enough but that's just my worthless opinion
im sorry if what i said didnt really get my point across. i dont really want to combine them into 1 (i)wad i want it to be a seperate wad or pk3 that i can load as a mod to then add the episodes to the list of episodes. kinda like wadsmoosh as i mentioned. Thanks though for the tip on what i should start with though!
Gez wrote:The episode list is generated automatically from all episodes defined in MAPINFO.

An episode is defined simply by its starting level.

The Chex Quest episodes overrode the Doom episodes because the Chex Quest levels overrode the Doom levels.

To get them all to work together, you'd have to rename the Chex levels and redefine their episodes.

Read on [wiki]MAPINFO[/wiki] and subpages.
Thanks you for explaining how it all works. i thought it had something to do with the map info file. ill look into it! thanks!
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

popguy12 wrote:
im sorry if what i said didnt really get my point across. i dont really want to combine them into 1 (i)wad i want it to be a seperate wad or pk3 that i can load as a mod to then add the episodes to the list of episodes. kinda like wadsmoosh as i mentioned. Thanks though for the tip on what i should start with though!
I wouldn't really pay too much attention to that guy, look under his profile. Gez is on point.
popguy12

Post by popguy12 »

RexS wrote:
popguy12 wrote:
I wouldn't really pay too much attention to that guy, look under his profile. Gez is on point.
Well it seems i checked a bit too late then, cause his account got banned. But yes, Gez does understand what i was thinking. I actually fiddled around with mapinfo and was able to get the chex episodes to be separate on the list. Now its the problem of textures that i gotta figure out. XD
Gez

Post by Gez »

WadSmoosh does have something to handle texture conflicts, because there are many texture conflicts between the four Doom IWADs, so your best bet is to find where it handles it and then add Chex's textures to it.

Also, just to make sure -- I realize when I talk about renaming levels I may not have been clear enough that I was talking about the technical names (such as "E1M1" or "MAP01") rather than the "real" names (such as "Hangar" or "Entryway").
popguy12

Post by popguy12 »

Gez wrote:WadSmoosh does have something to handle texture conflicts, because there are many texture conflicts between the four Doom IWADs, so your best bet is to find where it handles it and then add Chex's textures to it.

Also, just to make sure -- I realize when I talk about renaming levels I may not have been clear enough that I was talking about the technical names (such as "E1M1" or "MAP01") rather than the "real" names (such as "Hangar" or "Entryway").
Yeah i was thinking of seeing how wadsmoosh handled it and everything also. As for the map names and stuff, i got that figured out. Just had to rename the map files (for instance from e1m1 to ce1m1) and then edited that in mapinfo. had to manually convert the mapinfo file into something gzdoom would work with so that took a bit. but now i know theres a program for that. XD

Return to “Off-Topic”