EU Parliament Passes Articles 11/13

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
SHayden

Re: EU Parliament Passes Articles 11/13

Post by SHayden »

As someone who studied European Union as a part of my study and someone who generally supports the idea behind EU I'm heavily disappointed in them for doing this....

Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cacodemon345 »

Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

The bastards... the bastards.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Wiw - calm the fuck down. Seriously.

Yes - things are bad, but getting uncontrollably angry at it isn't going to fix anything. What you need to do is figure out how you're going to adapt to the change - if you're not in the EU, then your biggest worry is any sites you host. If you host no sites, then seriously - just cool it. There's nothing you can do.

If your country has no copyright-related treaties with the EU, you have nothing to worry about and you're off the hook with liability. If you're in a country that either is EU, or has treaties with them, then you're going to have to watch enforcement of the law over the next couple of years and watch to see if you might need to put up a block against all registered RIPE addresses regarding custom content, if you host a site. If you're hosted within the EU then you need to move your site off-shore.

The article will affect big sites the most - imgur, Twitter, Facebook, etc. That is the most chilling impact that the article will have. We'll have to see how this goes down. Remember: Some EU nations might try to protest, and refuse to implement the article for their own country's laws.

I'll be completely honest here - I think this spells disaster for the EU itself, more than it does the internet as a whole. Bullshit like this threatens the very fabric of what is proven to already be a very delicate alliance among nations - and this can at the very least make them decide that their own Brexit might start sounding like a good idea.
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

Angry? I'm having a nervous breakdown! They're going to destroy everything that matters to you and me! And all because the Swedish didn't see what they were doing! (assuming that's not a joke!)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Wiw - I'm going to tell you one last time to calm the fuck down. People are stressed enough without reading your barrage of Chicken Little posts.
Cacodemon345

Post by Cacodemon345 »

Wiw

Post by Wiw »

Hogwash!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Wiw wrote:Hogwash!
Wiw, literally the ONLY time I see you post anymore is replying to threads like these and yelling about how THE WORLD IS ENDING OH GAWD. Rachael's clearly had enough of it, and now I've had enough of it too. I know you're upset, you're stressed, you're having a breakdown, whatever, but this isn't the way to handle those feelings because it's getting in the way of any actual serious discussion.

I encourage you to seek help, but I'd also suggest that maybe you shouldn't be in this thread.
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

You're right. I shouldn't. My sincere apologies.
Cacodemon345

Post by Cacodemon345 »

To quote the press-release article of the Copyright Directive:
No. The new rules do not impose uploading of filters nor do they require user-uploaded platforms to apply any specific technology to recognise illegal content. Under the new rules, certain online platforms will be required to conclude licensing agreements with right holders - for example, music or film producers - for the use of music, videos or other copyright protected content. If licences are not concluded, these platforms will have to make their best efforts to ensure that content not authorised by the right holders is not available on their website. The “best effort” obligation does not prescribe any specific means or technology.
No. Uploading memes and other content generated by users for purposes of quotation, criticism, review, caricature, parody and pastiche (like GIFs or similar) will be specifically allowed. Users will be able to continue to upload such content online, but the new rules will bring clarity in this respect and will apply in all EU Member States.

Until now, copyright exceptions allowing these uses were only optional and Member States were free not to implement them. Under the Copyright Directive, this will no longer be the case: Member States will be obliged to allow these uses. This is a particularly important step for the freedom of expression online.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Thanks for the updates, Cacodemon, and for the quotes.

Some of us (myself included) have gotten so used to expecting to be lied to that we literally cannot read certain things and think over the literal implications, without someone "on our side" who can break it down...
Gez

Post by Gez »

The “best effort” obligation does not prescribe any specific means or technology.
Sure, but in practice?
Cacodemon345

Post by Cacodemon345 »

Cacodemon345

Post by Cacodemon345 »

Return to “Off-Topic”