EU Parliament Passes Articles 11/13

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

EU Parliament Passes Articles 11/13

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

https://musically.com/2018/09/12/articl ... es-to-226/

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/eu-arti ... d-meme-war

Welp, it appears a version of the EU equivalent of SOPA/PIPA actually passed (supposedly the one to completely ban memes), and by a overwhelming margin.

In any case, this is incredibly bad, but a potential final vote will be put out early next year, so there’s still a chance to contact one’s MEPs. However, this will affect the entirety of the Internet, applying link taxes and ContentID searches.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: EU Parliament Passes Articles 11/13

Post by Wiw »

I'm so scared. Surely we should have learnt from SOPA and PIPA. I can't believe this is all happening again. :(
Last edited by Wiw on Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hardcore_gamer

Post by hardcore_gamer »

Wiw wrote:I'm so scared. Surely we should have learnt from SOPA and ACTA. I can't believe this is all happening again. :(
This is a million times worse than SOPA.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

Hellstorm Archon wrote:However, this will affect the entirety of the Internet, applying link taxes and ContentID searches.
I doubt it will. The moment anyone tries to enforce this thing you'll start seeing hundreds (if not thousands) of websites banning access from all IP addresses assigned to the EU, just like quite a few websites did to avoid having to comply with the GDPR.
hardcore_gamer

Post by hardcore_gamer »

phantombeta wrote:
Hellstorm Archon wrote:However, this will affect the entirety of the Internet, applying link taxes and ContentID searches.
I doubt it will. The moment anyone tries to enforce this thing you'll start seeing hundreds (if not thousands) of websites banning access from all IP addresses assigned to the EU, just like quite a few websites did to avoid having to comply with the GDPR.
The whole point of this law is to allow the EU and governments to control what people see. They don't actually really care about the economic effect.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

hardcore_gamer wrote:
phantombeta wrote:
The whole point of this law is to allow the EU and governments to control what people see. They don't actually really care about the economic effect.
Which is completely irrelevant to what I said. This is an EU law. They can only go after websites that operate within the EU. If you could force a website to comply with a law from your nation even though it doesn't operate within it, there'd be barely any websites, because countries like China would have banned everything by now.
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cacodemon345 »

You do not understand this. This EU law is going to apply to tech companies too. They would have to filter out content too. And don't forget about the economic effect.
hardcore_gamer

Post by hardcore_gamer »

The thing is, being Icelandic my nation isn't technically in the EU but that doesn't seem to matter much since non-EU nations will probably just apply a blanket block of all European nations. Some American websites for example block me by saying it's because of EU laws.

Does anybody here know about a solid VPN service I can use to bypass these laws? I there are plenty but I don't know which one to pick.
Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

Well, time to invest in some VPN stock, I suppose...
hardcore_gamer

Post by hardcore_gamer »

Hipnotic Rogue wrote:Well, time to invest in some VPN stock, I suppose...
But will VPN works against this though? What's stopping the EU from suing VPN companies that offer their services to Europeans?
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

So this is how freedom dies? With thunderous applause?

Oh' shit, hang on, gotta go and pay Disney for that now...

#PressFforEurope
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

hardcore_gamer wrote: The whole point of this law is to allow the EU and governments to control what people see. They don't actually really care about the economic effect.
Can you please stop posting this bullshit? The one thing worse than clueless politicians are paranoid noisemakers like you who see a conspiracy behind everything that happens.

It is very clear that the majority of posters here hasn't even read the text, though to be honest it is not an easy read. And it still remains to be seen what the courts think is "appropriate".
This entire thing won't be decided by politicians anyway, it will be decided by the judges who ultimately have to decide how much of it is legal. And for that we first need some actual law text, not this kind of unspecific draft that first needs to be turned into actual laws.

And I can guarantee one thing: Any content filter requirement that comes without any means of arbitration about the aforementioned edge cases will be deemed unconstitutional. But wait: Doesn't the text explicitly require such a thing?

The big question really is: What will be considered "large amounts of works or other subject-matter"?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

All I know is that since the last time the EU made a bad Internet law with sweeping consequences, I've been constantly bombarded with annoying CSS popup layers with totally useless warnings about cookies.

I don't see why it wouldn't get worse.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

I'll take cookie pop-ups any day of the week over this shit.

@Graf: I'm not entirely convinced that this truly was just a bunch of out-of-touch boomers voting in something that they didn't fully understand. The Euopean Commission is kind of on the back-foot at the minute with Brexit and a rise in populism across the continent. To me at least, the whole thing smells like an attempt to stifle the spread of information in order to prevent anyone else dropping out. Just look at what happened in Spain. You still can't get Google News there because they already tried this crap and it backfired, yet these proposals have been approved all the same. Add into the mix the myriad of websites that are no longer accessible in Europe thanks to the GDPR and the whole thing is a net negative. Memes are the least of our problems. Online startup companies are going to be absolutely decimated by these proposals. Don't trust CNN? Don't tust Fox? Don't tust the BBC? Well, that's too damn bad, because smaller independent outlets are probably going to disappear and they will be all that you are left with. Nothing will convince me that any MEP who voted in favour of this trash did so in good faith. Nothing.

Also, as an aside - even given that everything that I've said is conjecture and it is just a copyright thing - what happens to mods? Open-source software? Are authors now on the clock up until this is ratified into law?

I hate to black-pill people, but it is evident that these fuckers do not give a shit what their citizens want and will steamroll ahead regardless and I have absolutely no hope. Democracy in action.

For the record, I voted Remain. I would not do so again given a secoind referendum.
hardcore_gamer

Post by hardcore_gamer »

scalliano wrote: @Graf: I'm not entirely convinced that this truly was just a bunch of out-of-touch boomers voting in something that they didn't fully understand. The Euopean Commission is kind of on the back-foot at the minute with Brexit and a rise in populism across the continent. To me at least, the whole thing smells like an attempt to stifle the spread of information in order to prevent anyone else dropping out. Just look at what happened in Spain. You still can't get Google News there because they already tried this crap and it backfired, yet these proposals have been approved all the same. Add into the mix the myriad of websites that are no longer accessible in Europe thanks to the GDPR and the whole thing is a net negative. Memes are the least of our problems. Online startup companies are going to be absolutely decimated by these proposals. Don't trust CNN? Don't tust Fox? Don't tust the BBC? Well, that's too damn bad, because smaller independent outlets are probably going to disappear and they will be all that you are left with.
This is exactly the point I have been trying to make, but everybody just keeps telling me "meh they will change their minds once they realize this isn't a smart law". What Graf doesn't understand is that these laws aren't bad by accident or the result of ignorance. These laws are a deliberate attempt at destroying free speech and democracy. The elites are getting scared, because the internet has given the people a voice. And they want that voice silenced. Forever.

And don't think that after these laws have been made that this is the end. They are only getting started. Step number 2 will be making it so that everybody will need a mandatory universal internet account to log into the internet. Sort of like creating a user account on a forum, except for the whole net. A net, that they will be the universal moderators for. Don't believe me? Just you wait and see.
scalliano wrote: Also, as an aside - even given that everything that I've said is conjecture and it is just a copyright thing - what happens to mods? Open-source software?
All banned. So say good bye to Doom builder, Slade, and pretty much every other open source piece of software if you live in Europe. You can also expect Doom streams and videos to be banned. Or even just screenshots from games. Assuming youtube and twitch don't just pull out of Europe entirely.

The only slightest simmer of hope is that VPNs will help us, but even then they only will for sites that merely geo-block Europe while keeping the content the same for non-EU users, instead of just censoring everything for everyone so they can maintain access to their EU customers. Or until the EU bans those as well.
scalliano wrote:for the record, I voted Remain. I would not do so again given a secoind referendum
That's actually a pretty interesting point, seeing as the elite in the UK is trying to push for another vote. I wonder, if that happens will these rules affect the outcome of said vote? Or will they try to make the vote happen before people start noticing the effects of these new rules. Only time will tell.

Return to “Off-Topic”