Cyberpunk 2077

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Nash

Cyberpunk 2077

Post by Nash »

I am ultra hyped for this. I'm a huge fan of first person open world RPGs, but for many years I've had to settle with Bethesda's games because they're the best we've got and nothing else really compares.

Looks like CD Projekt is going to be the new king of first person open world RPGs...

[Edit after the game is released] that remark certainly didn't age well LMFAO. Mistakes were made
Last edited by Nash on Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
AvzinElkein

Re: Cyberpunk 2077

Post by AvzinElkein »

From what I read, it's based off a tabletop RPG with a similar name; they just forward-shifted the year.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

While it's nice to see more developers attempt first-person open world RPGs, I've never liked distopian/grimdark settings. Conflating "mature" for "skin, wanton violence, swearing, and everything's horrible" in its story for some kind of coolness factor. Feels rather childish, actually. I had the same problem with the Witcher games.

Also, voiced protagonist? Wasn't Bethesda/Fallout4 lambasted for that, because it takes away from letting the player's character be their own? For some reason I have a feeling people will try to excuse it here, even though this game is ostensibly taking the same route of letting you define your own character and their behavior/backstory.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Since it'll eventually inevitably be brought up sooner or later, a couple of questionably-cyberpunk-ignorant insensitive PR blunders destroyed the hype for me. I'm sure there's others that feel the same disappointed way here. That's all i'm going to say about it. It's better suited in a completely different thread so please do not trash this thread by refuting this post.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

I love it. I am generally not hyped for any games anymore, but it's undeniably fine piece of genre savvy retro cyberpunk perfectly realized into a game. We will see how well can it be played.

I think this game already attracts the worst people around videogames. Especially people who actually don't understand videogames and the way they are designed. There were some idiots complaining that the graphics is not good enough or not cyberpunk enough because it's not in night and it's not raining. Some idiots are complaining about personal pronounces and gender and so on... All of them should go to hell, because nothing they showed so far warrants any complaints.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Nash wrote:I am ultra hyped for this
Maybe you than can say why?
Because I try to jump to that train, but I dont understand why exactly I must...hype???
Well, cyberpink,... grim darkness of future where xenos, chaos gods and psykers replaced by neon lights, hackers and augment. Meh, just not very jaded topic.
Smoke weed for healing...only miss snoop dog as medic, interesting okay.
Customizable weapon...well, therer are plenty games where you can change every single screw in gun. I mean nothing new and extraordinary.

So...for me this game like any other nowadays games. Well, like gta but with augments.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Maybe simply because I enjoy cyberpunk stuff and the only good first person cyberpunk shooter/RPG hybrid I have available to play has been Deus Ex 1? What CDPR is offering here is a triple A experience of that that looks extremely immersive. It just looks like the kind of game I enjoy, do I even need to explain why? :P
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

And what about system shock? bRpg true, bShooter true, bCyberpunk true. Only bGraphich false.
But that was 1994, so...
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Apeirogon wrote:And what about system shock? bRpg true, bShooter true, bCyberpunk true. Only bGraphich false.
But that was 1994, so...
To be fair, Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't seem to be the same kind of shooter/RPG hybrid like System Shock. It's more like Deus Ex, but with a retro-80s future-tech aesthetic and an immersive open world flavor.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

Yeees. This is my cup of tea. To me, it looks like what I expected from Deus Ex franchise. To evolve into full open world, with some big cyberpunk city, and everything.

The city displayed in the trariler looks like something taken from Ghost in the Shell. The slums mixed with hi-tech building, street cops and robots is something I always waited for. And now it seems I'll have what I waited for.
But the waiting, the waiting. 2020 is just little bit far away, and I really dont expect CDP to release it sooner.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

ramon.dexter wrote: 2020 is just little bit far away, and I really dont expect CDP to release it sooner.
I don't want them to. A delayed game has more time to be good, but (with some notable exceptions lately) a bad game released early is forever.

I really, really want this game. I loved everything I saw. I want more.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I like Cyberpunk stuff, I loved The Witcher games (especially III) and I like CDPR as a studio too. So I do have quite high hopes for this. However, I am approaching it with caution because so many games in recent years have been disappointing.

We'll see I guess.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

From someone who has read pretty much all Cyberpunk 2020 RPG books:

The original game is basically a satire on 80s culture: The rising inner city crime that reached it's peak in the early 90s is extrapolated, culminating in booster gangs and cyberpsychos who have rendered whole sections of the city into urban warzones. Outside the metroplexes, it's just as worse, as maurading gangs roam the highways in true Mad Max fashion. Police officers have to be two parts Dirty Harry and one part Robocop if they even hope to stop the tide of violence. Cocaine-sniffing yuppies as seen in movies like Wallstreet are now corporate executives who live the same extravagant livestyle, but their modus operanti has become even more unethical and now they don't shy away from sabotaging their coworkers (and rivals in the power structure), and even murder if they can get away with it, all in the name of greed and power. The defining feature of Cyberpunk 2020 however, lies in the two words that make up the title: "Cyber", for the merging of man and machine, and a "technoshock" where people can't keep up with the rapid technological advances permeating society at all levels; "Punk", for the anarchistic, cynical attitude that makes you detest authority and rules in all forms while pursuing your own goals (and looking cool and stylish while you're at it!), while also helping out the downtrodden und poor who can't fend for themselves. Two parts Al Capone and one part Robin Hood, as the role description of the Fixer says.
As a Cyberpunk, you grab technology by the throat and hang on. You've got interface plugs in your wrists, weapons in your arms, lasers in your eyes, biochip programs in your brain. You become the car you drive, the gun you shoot... With cyborged fingers you pick computer locks; with enhanced senses, you see into the Future.
Always take it to the Edge. It's the Cyberpunk way.
- Johnny Silverhand
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Wasn't all that hyped until I saw the gameplay reveal. Absolutely blown away. Anything with an 80's future aesthetic always has my interest, but then they pulled out the Fifth Element gun and my heart went boom. Wall-running, bullet time and pulling off combat moves worthy of the Slayer himself, it was like everything I love about games all rolled into one package.
Spoiler:
@leileilol: Don't sweat it, those responsible have already been doxxed :P
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Looking forward to it but I am not holding my breath. Let's hope they bugtest this more than they did Witcher 3.

Return to “Off-Topic”