GZdoom compiling issue

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: GZdoom compiling issue

Post by NeuralStunner »

IIRC the only thing that could really benefit from multicore support is the software renderer. Game logic has to be lockstepped, and the hardware renderer is obviously handled mainly by the video hardware. (Especially after some under-the-hood upgrades to get rid of old CPU->GPU bottlenecks.)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

NeuralStunner wrote:and the hardware renderer is obviously handled mainly by the video hardware. (Especially after some under-the-hood upgrades to get rid of old CPU->GPU bottlenecks.)
Well, actually nothing about that statement is correct.

The hardware renderer is totally limited by CPU alone on modern hardware and work is underway to make this multithread capable.
The times where the GPU was the main bottleneck have been over for nearly a decade.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

... At least half right, though? Seemed like a major reason for moving up from older OpenGL versions was to reduce the CPU overhead when decent video hardware can do more of the work. Isn't that overhead a small fraction of what it was before GZDoom 2.x?

That said, I've been mainly focussed on ECWolf lately so I've been pretty out of the loop where HW rendering is concerned.

EDIT: Speaking of ECWolf, it semi-recently got mingw64 support. I anyone still maintaining mingw support for GZDoom?

Return to “Off-Topic”