Thoughts on school

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: Thoughts on school

Postby JadedLexi » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:34 pm

This thread isn't a mess at all, however you are going to make it one by continuing to lament on how much of an apparent "mistake" it is. What's done is done, you made the thread and it's here to stay.
JadedLexi

Postby SouthernLion » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:42 pm

I love that my ridiculous childhood isn't what derailed this thread lmao.
SouthernLion

Postby Zen3001 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:09 am

I didn't get to make many choices in life yet but going to this business school has to be the worst, wasted my complete youth with it.
Zen3001
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?
Banned User

Discord: #0629

Postby Reactor » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:59 am

Let me guess.Your classmates were a bunch of imbecile asswipes, am I right?
Reactor
The militarist

Postby Zen3001 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:06 pm

something like that
Zen3001
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?
Banned User

Discord: #0629

Postby MartinHowe » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:27 pm

It's hard for me to comment as I was last at school (not college or uni) nearly 40 years ago, but I really want to :)

I totally agree with the OP on the main point. Being the autistic "genius" type who needs to concentrate and learns deeply but slowly, I found school a pain. Primary school teaching was not axiomatised, but largely example based (even for maths!!) which was good for neurotypical kids, but autism-hostile. In secondary (high) school most of the kids wanted to buck the system and commit angst and drama. In both, we were expected to play football (that's Soccer to the yanks here :p) and were assumed to understand the rules; I had never learned as I just cared about particle physics and stuff like that, even aged 10.

I often wonder what it would have been like if high-functioning forms of autism had been known then and I'd had the support / different approaches that kids are given today. Certainly training young people with autism in workplace and tech skills is easier for me that it would have been if they were just "difficult children" with no knowledge of exactly what they were and / or if they had not been supported in school before they get to me (I work for a charity that supports autistic people, including myself when I was diagnosed in my mid 40s).

University was actually easier - they didn't assume you knew what they were teaching before they taught it to you and explained things in a logical structured way, with the exception of our Prolog language teacher who taught logical programming the way primary teachers taught arithmetic - the irony there is off the scale LOL, especially as he had co-authored a book on the language!

Anyway, I'd say work hard and get through school any which way one can, as employers these days seem to be totally education focused even when it makes no sense.
MartinHowe
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN

Postby Neonatron » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:35 am

People are generally toxic and drama-queens, and it gets really irritating when you get put in a class full of people who mess around.
Teachers at my school allow the students "run" them, and allow students to have more authority than they do.
School can be great unless you just get a class full of bad students.
Neonatron

Previous

Return to Off-Topic