Why was there no PS1 and N64 port of Half-life?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
hardcore_gamer

Why was there no PS1 and N64 port of Half-life?

Post by hardcore_gamer »

The N64 had a Quake port which uses the same engine as Half-life (though I hear half-life's version of the Quake engine was considerably modified) and it ran with a decent framerate, albeit with lower res textures. The N64 and PS1 also had Quake 2 who's graphics were even more advanced than Quake 1. By the time Half-life released the PS2 wasn't even out yet so why did they not port half-life for N64 and PS1? Sure the PS2 was not far away but most people still had a N64 and PS1 where as nowhere as many people would have had a PS2 even after it's launch. I remember back in the day that me and most of my friends would spend more time playing the N64 and PS1 games for a considerable amount of time even after the PS2 launched, in many cases because not everybody even had a PS2 yet. What was stopping Valve from releasing a half-life port for these consoles albeit with somewhat more limited graphics?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Why was there no PS1 and N64 port of Half-life?

Post by wildweasel »

The Dreamcast had a port of Half Life that got cancelled (but leaked to the net anyway). It barely manages a stable frame rate.
hardcore_gamer

Post by hardcore_gamer »

Interesting. What made the Goldsource engine more demanding than the original Quake engine or even the Quake 2 engine?

I know this isn't related but I guess it makes more sense to ask here rather than creating an entirely new thread about it: What was the first game to ever feature modern rendering methods such as bumb/specular instead of merely using a single texture map with all the details baked in? Doom 3 is the most famous example of a early game like that I think, but was it technically the first? I think there are some games that featured at least bump maps as I know Halo 2 did it, but I don't think Halo 2 actually had any specular maps (for those who don't know, specular maps basically make textures look more like plastic or metal, which is why games like Doom 3 looked so realistic compared to earlier games).
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

wildweasel wrote:The Dreamcast had a port of Half Life that got cancelled (but leaked to the net anyway). It barely manages a stable frame rate.
The cool thing, though, is Blue Shift got released officially for PC along with the updated models/textures that were planned for the DC port.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

hardcore_gamer wrote:Interesting. What made the Goldsource engine more demanding than the original Quake engine or even the Quake 2 engine?
Skeletal animation's a big one. The enhanced character AI probably doesn't help much either. And of course, the characters and environments were generally more detailed than in the first two Quakes.
hardcore_gamer wrote:I know this isn't related but I guess it makes more sense to ask here rather than creating an entirely new thread about it: What was the first game to ever feature modern rendering methods such as bumb/specular instead of merely using a single texture map with all the details baked in? Doom 3 is the most famous example of a early game like that I think, but was it technically the first? I think there are some games that featured at least bump maps as I know Halo 2 did it, but I don't think Halo 2 actually had any specular maps (for those who don't know, specular maps basically make textures look more like plastic or metal, which is why games like Doom 3 looked so realistic compared to earlier games).
Doom 3 was far from the first to use bumpmaps. Jurassic Park Trespasser was the poster-child, but there were also a few other things around the same time like Slave Zero.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The PS1 was one of the most horribly limited systems I've ever seen. By the time Half Life was made, the memory requirement of such a game vastly exceeded the measly few megabytes the PS1 had to offer.
I do not know how much the Quake games had to be stripped down to make them work but it would have been significant.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Quake2's PSX port was a new engine built by Hammerhead and the content is pretty much adapted to it with all new missions. Considering PSX has huge depth issues, half-life's pretty much a no go for that system

N64 on the other hand would probably choke on rendering just ONE character (such as the hgrunt) too easily.
Last edited by leileilol on Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Graf Zahl wrote:I do not know how much the Quake games had to be stripped down to make them work but it would have been significant.
Quake 1 Saturn was a remake using the Slavedriver Engine created for Powerslave. The PS1 port would have been the same, but it never managed to get publisher funding so it never happened.

Quake 1 N64, I wanna say it used the actual Quake 1 engine in some form, though I'm open to being corrected. It fits with that Midway team's modus-operandi at the time, though.

Quake 2 N64 was based on the Quake 1 N64 code, a weird back-port of sorts. It was completely original levels as a result.

Quake 2 PS1 was, as Leilei said, a custom engine built specifically for the PS1 hardware. I wanna say it used a mixture of N64 levels and adapted bits of PC levels, but it's been a while.

A "Half-Life 64" or whatever would have likely had to be a complete rebuild with much smaller levels, much lower character detail etc. and would have hardly been worth it since it was pretty late in the N64's life.
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cacodemon345 »

I would hve expected such issues on the first-generation 3D consoles, considering the issues on the consoles. H64 would be totally different.

And I never buy any game that uses a completely different engine than from what it was ported. Would be full of problems; see GBA Doom 2 as an example.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Cacodemon345 wrote:I would hve expected such issues on the first-generation 3D consoles, considering the issues on the consoles. H64 would be totally different.

And I never buy any game that uses a completely different engine than from what it was ported. Would be full of problems; see GBA Doom 2 as an example.
I don't remember there being many issues from the GBA ports of Doom and Doom 2?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Project Dark Fox wrote:I don't remember there being many issues from the GBA ports of Doom and Doom 2?
Doom 1 was still on the Doom engine, and used the cut-down Jaguar maps.

Doom 2 used Southpaw, a GBA-centric FPS engine used for Duke Nukem Advance and Ice Nine. Some of the physics, monster behaviors etc. are a little odd as a result, some maps have some extra one-sided lines to cut down rendering of open areas, and MAP15 and MAP24 are split in two for technical reasons.

Also, they're both censored to try and achieve a "T" rating due to the perceived younger handheld market of the time, but that's not a technical issue...
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Kind of odd to name your game engine after what is basically another name for a left-handed pitcher or boxer. But thanks for the information, now I know. I guess I didn't (quite) notice.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Also, if you want an idea of how much Half-Life would need to be sacrificed to work on Nintendo 64, you need only play Kemco's "port" (probably not even a port) of Daikatana.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

wildweasel wrote:Also, if you want an idea of how much Half-Life would need to be sacrificed to work on Nintendo 64, you need only play Kemco's "port" (probably not even a port) of Daikatana.
Are you perchance implying that Daikatana 64 is anything less than a diamond in the rough?
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

Didn’t the PS1 struggle to even run Duke Nukem 3D?

If the lowered framerate, additional slowdown and non-animated fire from far away enough are any indication...

Return to “Off-Topic”