Any suggestions for a planned live-action Doom fan film?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Any suggestions for a planned live-action Doom fan film?

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

So building upon a thread I had made over at Doomworld, I figure that making a potential fan film shouldn't be out of the question.

So unless you've been living under a rock for the past couple of months, it's pretty much well-known that a new Doom movie is going to be revealed then released soon. While I do have confidence in the filmmakers that they'll be able to pull off a solid effort in creating both an entertaining action flick and a faithful Doom adaptation, I completely understand the apprehension that many people may have about this upcoming movie.

In the event that the movie does end up sucking just as hard as the 2005 Doom movie, that's part of the reason why I plan on doing a big fan film for Doom (another reason being a noticeable lack of fan films for Doom despite the popularity of Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal).

So I plan for this to be an entirely original take on the Doom mythos, but I'm really not sure how to do it, which is why I'm looking for ideas on what to do with this potential fan film.

Some ideas I have include what's basically a routine clean-up job in an infested base, an alternate take on Olivia Pierce, basically a normal day in the life of Doomguy and his quest to rid the Earth of demons. However, this particular profile of the Doomguy is the driving inspiration behind the prospective fan film:
Deeply, deeply, deeply fucked up.

He's killed so much that it's an ancillary action now. He's not unlike a former human, in a sort of detached daze as he guns down countless Hellspawn. One of the reasons he works mostly alone is because he has to stop himself from reflexively shooting other Marines as he rounds a corner, owing to how many zombies have contributed pinkish bullet scars into his torso by now. When he walks down a ruined street, other Marines stop short and stare at him with gazes that are half respectful and half incredulous. His reputation and power have reached the point where the Marine Corps simply directs him to the biggest demon staging areas if they wish it to be cleared.

His entire body is a pockmarked landscape of craters, scars, and burns from the sheer abuse he's taken, and he quivers from stimpack addiction that's only been quelled by the sheer adrenaline of demon killing so far. Weighed down by the guns he carries- most commonly a double-barrel shotgun he found sitting in a dark maintenance under-hall back on Earth- he clanks as he walks, his battered body armor crisscrossed with ammo belts and shell holders.

At first, it was terrifying for him. Former humans and imps were something to hide in a vent from. Now he simply kills them as he goes along. Most demons, despite normally being psychopathic murderers ready to turn on one another in a moment if so much as accidentally grazed, will shit themselves when they see him.

Though it's not represented in Doom's simple AI, I always imagine Imps backpedaling and flinging fireballs in an absolute panic when they see him. Former humans, even though the murderous daze they normally go about their duties enshrouded within, know enough to scream, throw down their rifles, and sprint as fast as their legs can carry them in the opposite direction. Cacodemons and Pinkies are perturbed by the sheer amount of death that he stinks of. Hell Knights carry a terrified respect for him and even Barons rue the day they see him. Revenants were already unlucky enough to have met him once; how they can muster the courage to try again is beyond me. Mancubi smell burned meat and dried blood, and in their greed believe they could take him on. Arch-Viles, the highest priests of Hell, whisper unholy prayers under their lips as they hear the approaching sound of clanking ammo chains and the gentle whirr of a BFG's main reactor.

The only thing that drives most demons to fight him is the knowledge that if they run, a far worse fate than a simple shotgun to the chest awaits them. Cyberdemons are foolish. Their computerized scanners tell them that they have 40 times his durability and far superior weaponry. Most of them privately believe that he hasn't really killed all the demons he is said to have. Well, before he took a rocket launcher to Baphomet's forehead, that is. Now demons know him as the one who killed their overlord and creator.

And throughout it all, what's left of him?

Nothing.

He doesn't even know his own name anymore. When the computers on Phobos went berserk during the first incursion, his file was wiped. He's killed so much, taken so much trauma, that he has forgotten who he was or what his name is. All personality has been worn away by years of incurring the same trauma over and over again. All that's left is years of honed instincts, military training, and well-drilled knowledge of heavy weaponry.

Sometimes, when a battle is over for a time, he might amble into a deserted house and search the fridge. He might chew on some leftover ham steak to quell approaching hunger pains or guzzle a Corona in a mini-fridge downstairs in a futile attempt at wiping away the things he's seen. Perhaps an imp will wander inside- it's those times where he reaches down to that ancient holster of his, draws his Beretta 2092, and blows the little bastard away in a cute little imitation of that first time all the way back on Phobos.

After 48 hours of continuous operation, fueled by a handful of Berserk packs, he collapses in a barricaded room- checked three times, after the time a former sergeant attempted to gut him with a bayonet as he slept- and a few tears might roll down his dusty, bloodied cheeks as he drifts away for a few hours of fitful, restless, dreamless sleep.

They call him Doomguy. That's what he reckons he is now.

The bringer of Doom.
Finally, assuming I had an unlimited or at least sizable budget to pull this off, what would you like to see in this Doom fan film?

For example, what locations would you like to see? What demons should be present?
What guns should make an appearance?
Any powerups that should make a cameo?
Any other characters from previous titles that should get a mention? (It can be anything Doom-related from Quake 3 Arena to Doom 3 to Doom 2016.)

Any kind of suggestion is completely welcome. :D
SouthernLion

Re: Any suggestions for a planned live-action Doom fan film?

Post by SouthernLion »

Call him Flynn Taggart and I will be a fan. I know that isn't technically canon, but I actually enjoyed the hell out of those books. Even the side characters are likeable, even though they completely derailed the story by the 3rd and 4th books.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Please don't actually call him Doomguy. :?
Matt
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Seconding RexS.

So many Doom adapatations miss a huge part of what makes Doom great, but to the spirit of which the novels were wonderfully faithful: obscure references, camp, and that "we cobbled this together from whatever was lying around" sense of not having to get bogged down in the details.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

No, youd better name doomguy John Stalvern :3:

I even see reviews on it
"Genius! Pure genius! This is a cautionary tale that stresses the negative consequences of joining the armed forces. It also explores a Freudian struggle between a man and his father. Furthermore, I believe this story truly stresses that black-and-white thinking is detrimental to humankind, as you can neither say that John is a good person nor that the demons are truly evil. Eventually, we learn that John’s amplified sense of masculinity leads to his downfall."
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Doom: Repercussions of Evil could serve as the script.

Seriously though, a project like this needs a decent budget, and this in turn (assuming you don't have that kind of money lying around means crowdfunding or something similar, which in turn means trouble with Bethesda. end of story :cry:
NinetnGunner

Post by NinetnGunner »

Of course, you're gonna need the original doom music, and the iconic enemies.
But don't call him doomguy, give him whatever name you like.
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

blood and gore, make use of a lot of practical effects, that's after all the movies doom was inspired by.
NinetnGunner wrote:Of course, you're gonna need the original doom music.
but make the music more metal, not the crappy midis

a perfect doom movie would be a mix of sci fi action horrors like predator and alien and some paranormal horror like the evil dead just a bigger chance of survival for the main characters.
Last edited by Zen3001 on Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Zen3001 wrote: but make the music more metal, not the crappy midis
01:40 is my favorite moment of any metal version of Doom music. I don't know how well it would translate to film, but maybe for an action scene.

Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

From all metal covers I heard most artist pick "wrong" tonality and its dont feels like doom music cover.
So here are better version, IMHO.
https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/defau ... did=949223
Matt
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I strongly suspect that much of what people hated about the Hobbit movies would make a great Doom movie.

We need Peter Jackson on this.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Don't go thinking the music needs to be all metal all the time. Doom had some really excellent atmospheric pieces, like E1M2, E1M5, E2M2, E2M4, E2M6, and others. Even the more higher tempo ones sometimes mixed things up, like E2M7 being an orchestral waltz. A lot of people may like to focus on the guts and gore and action and rock, but Doom had a decently sized helping of moodiness and atmosphere to help contrast the action. It was Hell, demon and undead hordes, and evil incarnate, the things that instill fear and hopelessness, but you fight through anyway as the last hope of defense. Rip & Tear may be all Doom is seen as these days, but I remember when that saying was mocked for being too simplistic to what the games were (*shakes cane at the youngins*).
Bigger C

Post by Bigger C »

Chris wrote:Don't go thinking the music needs to be all metal all the time. Doom had some really excellent atmospheric pieces, like E1M2, E1M5, E2M2, E2M4, E2M6, and others. Even the more higher tempo ones sometimes mixed things up, like E2M7 being an orchestral waltz. A lot of people may like to focus on the guts and gore and action and rock, but Doom had a decently sized helping of moodiness and atmosphere to help contrast the action. It was Hell, demon and undead hordes, and evil incarnate, the things that instill fear and hopelessness, but you fight through anyway as the last hope of defense. Rip & Tear may be all Doom is seen as these days, but I remember when that saying was mocked for being too simplistic to what the games were (*shakes cane at the youngins*).
Don't forget the OSTs for PSX Doom and Doom 64! Praise be to Aubrey Hodges.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Bigger C wrote:
Chris wrote:Don't go thinking the music needs to be all metal all the time. Doom had some really excellent atmospheric pieces, like E1M2, E1M5, E2M2, E2M4, E2M6, and others. Even the more higher tempo ones sometimes mixed things up, like E2M7 being an orchestral waltz. A lot of people may like to focus on the guts and gore and action and rock, but Doom had a decently sized helping of moodiness and atmosphere to help contrast the action. It was Hell, demon and undead hordes, and evil incarnate, the things that instill fear and hopelessness, but you fight through anyway as the last hope of defense. Rip & Tear may be all Doom is seen as these days, but I remember when that saying was mocked for being too simplistic to what the games were (*shakes cane at the youngins*).
Don't forget the OSTs for PSX Doom and Doom 64! Praise be to Aubrey Hodges.
My level set* entirely used Aubrey Hodges PSX work. Absolutely amazing stuff.

* viewtopic.php?f=42&t=37939
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

this could be used to demonstrate hell or the doomed world, with the red sky, make everything look as brutal as possible

please avoid blury images, I hate seeing these objects in movies so close to the camera and everything behind it blury, hate that.
and about the action scenes, please avoid too much 'kung fu' action movies now a days are filled with it, go for some old school action were they just showed the chracters shooting weapons and the bloody result of it.

that some inspiration from die hard for the plot, an individual stuck in a place with bad guys(in this case demons), and he has to find his way out using what ever he finds

Return to “Off-Topic”