Any 3D artists here?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Nash

Re: Any 3D artists here?

Post by Nash »

hardcore_gamer wrote:I admit I am no expert on the process
Then, with all due respect, please stop making any more assumptions or wrong statements especially towards more technical aspects of the topic which you clearly have little grasp on... :)
hardcore_gamer

Post by hardcore_gamer »

Nash wrote:
hardcore_gamer wrote:I admit I am no expert on the process
Then, with all due respect, please stop making any more assumptions or wrong statements especially towards more technical aspects of the topic which you clearly have little grasp on... :)
My questions were valid. If I was able to animate something in Modo using Modo's in-built animation tools and then convert it into a md3 animation afterward, which then worked in the game, what is stopping me from just creating decent animations that way and then converting to md3 afterward? Take for example that fake cloth thingy I posted earlier. That stuff was probably made in a manner similar to what I just described.

EDIT: I will be a bit more precise in regards to what I did. I first animated the stuff I made in modo, then used a special script that exported said animation as a obj sequence, then I used another program to convert the obj frames into md3 frames, and then a yet another program to compress all said md3 frames into a single animation. And it worked. So I don't understand why you people keep saying this stuff isn't possible.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

You'll never understand "uncanny valley"...

Half-Life has advanced animation features such as bone controllers on skeletal models (allowing the code to turn the bones i.e. aiming, jaws moving), blending two sequences together, as well as assigning events for frames (like dropping weapons and constantly save/loading to cause them to do it again). It's leagues ahead of what Gzdoom can currently do. HL's models themselves aren't the greatest (or even efficient with those loads of nonpowerof2 textures getting rounded up with ugly aliasing), but they sure look more lively than sticking a DOOM2016 model into doom

Quake's another fine example. Quake monsters move around with variable speeds synced to their frames (the prowling grunts for example) and that looks well done and nobody's sliding around. If you want to see this badly botched to hell, check out the Sega Saturn "port" (which gets wildly praised as the superior version from loyal sega fans for some reason)
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

leileilol wrote:Quake's another fine example. Quake monsters move around with variable speeds synced to their frames (the prowling grunts for example) and that looks well done and nobody's sliding around.
So that's why I've always thought they looked so much better than virtually anything else...
Nash

Post by Nash »

Matt wrote:
leileilol wrote:Quake's another fine example. Quake monsters move around with variable speeds synced to their frames (the prowling grunts for example) and that looks well done and nobody's sliding around.
So that's why I've always thought they looked so much better than virtually anything else...
How is this achieved? I'm imagining there is some kind of "notify" system tied to the meshes that instruct the Actor to move however-many units per frame, so smaller steps = smaller velocity, bigger steps = bigger velocity... ? I could be way off though; never really worked with Quake or QuakeC.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Every relevant model frame regarding movement is defined in the QC, which calls a function to make the AI step a certain distance and all these numbers are hand tuned per frame.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

hardcore_gamer wrote:I admit I am no expert on the process but don't converters get around this?
No. "Less data => more data" is not solveable when "more data" is a core problem of the target format. It doesn't matter what your source format is... And "just" re-exporting the models is the other half of the problem, not a solution!

Mind you, when I say "skeletal animation" I mean the package deal: Loading a standard skeleton alongside various models that are built for it. You only need one copy of the skeleton for any model that'll have the same rig/animations. (I guess the real "pro mode" would be splitting animations into yet more files...)
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

hardcore_gamer wrote: They don't have equal features at all. Blender's sculpting abilities are completely different from that of Zbrush. Actually, I don't think ANY program comes close to having the sculpting abilities of Zbrush. Like, at all. It's like comparing Ms paint to photoshop. That said Zbrush does have a pretty poor interface so many people struggle to learn it.
I talk with my friend, and he said that every single 3d modelling program have equal FEATURES, but not equal IMPLEMENTATION of this features. Like, you CAN create "full hd 4k >9000 polygons" model in blender and milkshape, but in milkshape its take incomparably more time than in blender.
hardcore_gamer

Post by hardcore_gamer »

Apeirogon wrote:
hardcore_gamer wrote: They don't have equal features at all. Blender's sculpting abilities are completely different from that of Zbrush. Actually, I don't think ANY program comes close to having the sculpting abilities of Zbrush. Like, at all. It's like comparing Ms paint to photoshop. That said Zbrush does have a pretty poor interface so many people struggle to learn it.
I talk with my friend, and he said that every single 3d modelling program have equal FEATURES, but not equal IMPLEMENTATION of this features. Like, you CAN create "full hd 4k >9000 polygons" model in blender and milkshape, but in milkshape its take incomparably more time than in blender.
This is complete bullshit. Good luck trying to create a 40 million polygon model in blender like you could in Zbrush. Zbrush is specifically designed to allow ultra high polygon sculpting without destroying your computer where as a more traditional modeling app like blender could never do this. And the idea that all modeling programs have the same features or even a similar workflow is also utter garbage. In fact I don't think sculpting apps like Zbrush can even be called modeling programs at all since technically it isn't even a conventional 3D polygon modeler. Your friend has no idea what he is talking about at all.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Apeirogon wrote: but in milkshape its take incomparably more time than in blender.
Milkshape's interface strictly operates on the 2d panes, works with only triangles, and has no concept of edgeloops/rings, ik, modifiers, or anything else common. Anyone suggesting to model in Milkshape is giving bad, blind advice, as non-artists who just learned of it through an old banner ad or tutorial and got wowed by its import/export feature bullet point list not realizing the terribleness within that has been the constant for nearly 20 years (and functionally outdated for much longer). It's the Deepsea of modeling programs.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Hardcore_gamer, for some reason I cannot fathom you seem to be angling for fights in this thread. Please find less confrontational ways to express yourself.

8-)

Return to “Off-Topic”