2018. It's a pretty rough year.

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: 2018. It's a pretty rough year.

Post by Matt »

Religious discussion is allowed to the extent required to discuss how Hell is or ought to be portrayed in a Doom mod, though, right? :)
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Rachael wrote:If you're worried about being slapped on the wrist for saying "god damn it", that's not likely to happen at all. I think you should be okay letting that slip. It's such a common phrase that there's no point in policing it even if we wanted to, and in the end would do more harm than good.

I'm not going to encourage you to say it, but I doubt anyone's even going to notice it if you do (unless that person is very hardcore religious - in which case, I can only imagine the numerous other difficulties of using the internet for them in that case).
G.D. definitely bothers me, even though I am guilty of it myself, sometimes. But I would never think of wanting to censor other people because of my own personal feelings or beliefs (even on my own forums.) When I read or hear it (or say it myself on accident), I just quietly say "sorry God." Too many people think their feelings/beliefs can dictate other people's behavior, and that's why I think your point of "don't be a Dick to each other" works a lot better, as intention is everything.
hardcore_gamer

Post by hardcore_gamer »

Rachael wrote:We live in a divisive time, and people from all over the world are taking offense to even the smallest slights, whether they identify as left or right, against themselves or their friends. Every action they don't agree with is taken personally, and the narrative is often twisted to victimhood of the person who felt slighted.
This isn't just true for politics though. People are just like this in general now. Generation snowflake can't handle anything but unconditional praise and doesn't understand the difference between hating something and just merely not praising it. They don't understand the concept that somebody not praising them doesn't actually mean they are hated or looked down upon. This is the result of helicopter parenting.

And yes, the governments have betrayed us. They have sold out to big companies. And these big companies don't really care much about left vs right either, they just do whatever makes them the most money or gives them the most power. I fear a civil war in the west is on the horizon :(
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

hardcore_gamer again makes some broad overgeneralizations. Do you even meet normal people in real life? :?
hardcore_gamer

Post by hardcore_gamer »

Graf Zahl wrote:hardcore_gamer again makes some broad overgeneralizations. Do you even meet normal people in real life? :?
Not really. I spend most of my time on Doomworld and zdoom forums :S
Vordenko
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Vordenko »

hardcore_gamer wrote:This isn't just true for politics though. People are just like this in general now. Generation snowflake can't handle anything but unconditional praise and doesn't understand the difference between hating something and just merely not praising it. They don't understand the concept that somebody not praising them doesn't actually mean they are hated or looked down upon. This is the result of helicopter parenting.
...I think the problem is more about people realizing offensive humor isn't always funny, and people changing into a generation thats more sensitive.

Now, im not saying everything is black and white. I am saying is that theres more to the whole "snowflake" spectrum rather than just "offended" vs "offensive."

I've met plenty of people that fall under the "snowflake" spectrum and many of them are actually pretty chill. We just gotta accept the world is changing.

I could say more, but I don't want to derail this :P
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

hardcore_gamer wrote:Generation snowflake
Would it be even remotely possible for you to make that point without a buzz word?

You almost had a good point there, but you had to put something in that actually DOES upset people. And when you do that, your point is completely lost. No one can take you seriously, because your image is now that of some edgy asshole who gets his kicks off of watching other people get mad.

Yes - a lot of people ARE snowflakes. Of that I have no doubt. We see it day in and day out, especially among those who whine and cry about their speech being suppressed, only to turn around and get shocked and chagrined when someone plays their own pathetic game with them, and beats them at it. And when that happens, ironically enough, THEY become the ones calling for censorship and firing! It happens all the time.

But there is no "generation snowflake". I've seen people of all ages be snowflakes. And you might be shocked who among them are the most easily offended of all of them. (Little hint: It's people who go out of their way to bully other people who they think are vulnerable with that term) The real issue is people being unable to properly debate real issues and having a discussion without resorting to insulting one another and screaming at each other and getting absolutely nothing done. Trust me - no one is going to listen to you when you insult them.

In the future, hardcore_gamer, try and see from their perspective, and make objective arguments, instead of blaming them for being snowflakes, and see what happens.
RiboNucleic Asshat
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RiboNucleic Asshat »

In my experience, people who constantly whine about "generation snowflake" are just assholes who're upset that they can't shout slurs without consequence anymore.

Big surprise, people get upset when you call them mentally ill or lesser humans. WHO'DA THUNK IT?
hardcore_gamer

Post by hardcore_gamer »

Look let's not proof the point of the OP by turning this into an argument. My point was merely that people today are too thin skinned. If my use of the word snowflake was upsetting to people then I'm sorry. Let's just enjoy the internetz while it is still possible to do so.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I agree. Let's not turn this into an argument. The points have been made, if there's still anything worth discussing we can continue with that, but I am not here to make enemies.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

hardcore_gamer wrote:My point was merely that people today are too thin skinned.
there's some grand hypocrisy here when you say the stuff you say and then proceed to shove wine corks in your ears whenever someone's critical about it
Bigger C

Post by Bigger C »

wildweasel wrote:The religion policy is mainly to prevent big arguments - even over a thing as "simple" as asking if a person believes in God can result in a huge negative feedback loop if one person says something out of line, which is why we decided it's better to not have those discussions in the first place.

"If two people want to remain friends, they should never talk about religion or politics."
And what are we supposed to do if someone else keeps bringing up politics in an in-your-face way and refuses to drop the matter?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Report them if they're doing it publicly. If they're doing it privately, they're allowed to do it if you're willing to entertain it - but if you tell them to stop and they refuse to, that can be considered harassment, and you can report them for it.
0mrcynic0
Location: The corner of "screw off" and "none of your business."

Post by 0mrcynic0 »

It's quite sad that nations become intolerant of one another in this age.

Religion vs. other religion vs. non-believers...Left vs. Right...Gender vs. other gender...

Unless we respect each other's differences...World War 3 may happen after a few years.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Rachael wrote:Political discussion is forbidden on this forum - and that's not going to change, even for this topic, and so on...
Is it me, or you cares TOO MUCH about what happens on forum?
You administrator, so you can delete all nonrelated/offending stuff and send PM to user who post it something like "Forum police, hold you hands away from keyboard so I can see it! Now you have one more yellow card. Be more careful from now on.". Or ban user if amount of yellow cards reach critical quantity.
But Im not an expert, so I can be wrong here :oops:

Return to “Off-Topic”