Re: 2018. It's a pretty rough year.

Post by Gez »

It's just you.
0mrcynic0
Location: The corner of "screw off" and "none of your business."

Post by 0mrcynic0 »

Apeirogon wrote:
Rachael wrote:Political discussion is forbidden on this forum - and that's not going to change, even for this topic, and so on...
Is it me, or you cares TOO MUCH about what happens on forum?
You administrator, so you can delete all nonrelated/offending stuff and send PM to user who post it something like "Forum police, hold you hands away from keyboard so I can see it! Now you have one more yellow card. Be more careful from now on.". Or ban user if amount of yellow cards reach critical quantity.
But Im not an expert, so I can be wrong here :oops:
Wanna know if an admin cares or not about the forum?

Try to start a thread about something political right now. I dare you.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Apeirogon wrote:
Rachael wrote:Political discussion is forbidden on this forum - and that's not going to change, even for this topic, and so on...
You administrator, so you can delete all nonrelated/offending stuff and send PM to user who post it something like "Forum police, hold you hands away from keyboard so I can see it! Now you have one more yellow card. Be more careful from now on.". Or ban user if amount of yellow cards reach critical quantity.
If we didn't care what goes on around here, I guarantee you'd be seeing a lot more people being rude, foul, or generally angry. Your forum experience would be quite awful.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Apeirogon wrote:
You damn right I care about what happens on the forum.

I don't want to just delete people's posts, issue bans or warnings willy nilly, I would rather people get along. I really would only rather use administrative powers if I need to. Otherwise, I don't see myself as being above a regular user.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

i know it seems silly, and it may not come across the right way, and I DO understand your reasoning behind it!

that being said theres some things that feel as if it is bringing attitudes and toxic from a lot of folk into the forefront by pointing it out. it IS good to recognize that anything of this ilk doesnt have much of a home on zdoom forums but moderating things as if it were so clearcut and middle isnt really the way how things should go. a good post but a post with some possible negative coronations brought simply for existing
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

To be honest, ZDF is probably at the best point I've seen it insofar as moderation is concerned. Most big arguments seem to be snuffed out fairly quickly and troublesome users are kept in check fairly well. There are a few things I disagree with in terms of moderation, but those are far and few in-between and it's not really my place to be making determinations anyway.

The state of general discourse in the world is pretty bad right now, but I appreciate everything people do here to keep the peace. It's like a port in the storm.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

2018, pretty rough year.
2019, fucked up year.
2020, not-so-happy year

Regardless of the moderation and the place where moderation is done, shit will keep happening....it can be minimized at best but, there's always a crack at everything.
That being said, this one is good enough to stay and be "safe".
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

hardcore_gamer wrote:LMy point was merely that people today are too thin skinned.
It's hardly just "people today". Going back centuries (even millennia), many wars and other tragedies could have been avoided if people had been a just bit more calm, rational, and tolerant. For instance, I somehow doubt the people who started the crusades were particularly "thick skinned".

If someone uses the term "generation snowflake", it's possibly an indication that person is too over-sensitive themselves, since they're clearly getting irritated by the attitude and/or opinions of other people. Maybe just chill out and deal with it, instead of lashing out and insulting those people?
0mrcynic0 wrote:It's quite sad that nations become intolerant of one another in this age.
Again, it's not just "in this age". You talk about World War 3, but it sounds like you might need to do some research into the causes of the 2nd one... I would also argue that the younger generation are actually far more tolerant of differences than the elder. If everyone over the age of, say, 50 had somehow been unable to vote, I suspect the result of the last US election and the UK referendum would have been quite different.
Last edited by NiGHTMARE on Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

leodoom85 wrote:2018, pretty rough year.
2019, fucked up year.
2020, not-so-happy year

Regardless of the moderation and the place where moderation is done, shit will keep happening....it can be minimized at best but, there's always a crack at everything.
That being said, this one is good enough to stay and be "safe".

So when was the last *good* year?
I actually thing the biggest problem these days is this rampant pessimism that lets people make stupid choices.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

NiGHTMARE wrote:If everyone over the age of, say, 50 had somehow been unable to vote, I suspect the result of the last US election and the UK referendum would have been quite different.
Considering the US one won by a deficit ( not lead - this was the amount of votes he was behind by ) of about three million votes, I'm not so sure. Really, it speaks volumes of an absolute laundry list of things.
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Post by Pixel Eater »

NiGHTMARE wrote:If everyone over the age of, say, 50 had somehow been unable to vote, I suspect the result of the last US election and the UK referendum would have been quite different.
Unlikely. There might have been a different label on it but until the US gets preferential voting then they'll always get one of the main/same two :roll:
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Hey, now you are insulting me!
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Rachael wrote: You damn right I care about what happens on the forum.

I don't want to just delete people's posts, issue bans or warnings willy nilly, I would rather people get along. I really would only rather use administrative powers if I need to. Otherwise, I don't see myself as being above a regular user.
I write "too much" with BOLD font not just because.
By this I meant that there are ALWAYS were, be and will be people which dont like the rules/prohibitions/personally you as a person/etc. And they ALWAYS will try to violate laws and prohobitions/insult you with you family/religion/race/ancestors to the seventh....emmm...tribe?, and etc etc etc. Because people and its psychology.

Plus, this is internet. So anything what happens here is happens only in text form. Well, last fev years shit from iternet begins to splash in real life, but talk Im not about that.
And I pretty aware that there are exist are people too sensitive people, which from word "dick" lose consciousness, as well as people who respond on threats of physical violence/monolithic wall of text made from foul language in his side answer "ok:)".
So, another anecdote
"Meet two jews. One says
- Monya, did you hear what Rabinowich says about you, when you are not around?
- Oy vei, Moicha, I beg you... You can say to Rabinowich so that when Im not around they can even beat me."

And I definitely dont meant "drop all moderator work", because then forum would transform to something like "pwned gtfo, lol kek cheburek(pie from a thin fresh dough stuffed with meat and spicy seasonings)"
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

NiGHTMARE wrote: If everyone over the age of, say, 50 had somehow been unable to vote, I suspect the result of the last US election and the UK referendum would have been quite different.
Problem of all nowadays voting system not in the age/religion/etc of the voter, but in anonymity of a vote.
Because if no one of the general public know who and how voted, SOMEONE can easily change result of voting to desired/prepaid result.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

That's complete hogwash.

Voter's anonymity is the cornerstone of any working voting system, because once that's no longer possible you can just manipulate everything by targeted campaigns at your opponents' voters BEFORE they even going voting, which is a lot easier than trying to circumvent the controls that are in place at the voting booth.

It only becomes a problem if "interested parties" are capable of overseeing and controlling the election. In most democracies this is pretty much impossible. In the US I have my doubts, though. I'd also not put any trust into computers here because they are far easier to manipulate than a paper trail.

Return to “Off-Topic”