Who plays/played Sonic games?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
cs89

Who plays/played Sonic games?

Post by cs89 »

I am going ask the members of ZDoom forum community, who heard Sonic the hedgehog and played anyone at least one Sonic game?
I begin the row: When I was child, I started with the first Sonic game on Sega Mega Drive, I played a several times until I got the good ending. After I got the 2nd Sonic game with Miles Tails. I tried the demo PC version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic CD. I bought with my parents Sonic R and Sonic 3D Blast for Windows PC. On first half of 2000 year's I played Sonic Adventure DX.
While I had a Sony Playstation 2 game console, I tried those Sonic games: Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Riders, Sonic Gems Collection, Shadow the Hedgehog.
I tried also Sonic Heroes, it was somewhere a great game where I could switch the team members.
Until Sonic Generations (which I got my pal from Makó) I figured out the emulator's possibilities and I got to play those games I missed from the 90's Sonic game franchise.
I bought Sonic Mania on Steam, which I enjoyed so much than the classic 2D Sonic games. :)
SouthernLion

Re: Who plays/played Sonic games?

Post by SouthernLion »

Being that Sonic is (or was) about as popular as Super Mario, I'm pretty sure 100% of this board has heard of him. lol.

The good sonic games were 16-bit era. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (which is the "Complete" Sonic 3) is one of the greatest games of all time. When the transition to 3D happened, it wasn't as smooth as Mario. Sonic Adventure was pretty fun, one of my favorite games, but Sonic Adventure 2 started the downfall for me. Don't even get me started on Sonic '06.

Some of the modern 2D Sonics I still hear good things about.
Last edited by SouthernLion on Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

I'm of the opinion that everything went downhill after the jump to 3D. Sonic Adventure was/is an incompetently made and clearly rushed game and every main entry after was just as bad if not much worse. It wasn't until Sonic Colours that showed the series still has some life in it left. Sonic Generations was a good game and the best main entry until that point since Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but it didn't have a single original idea of its own. That being said everything went downhill again after Generations, with Mania being the sole exception. So we have 15 main Sonic games since the series inception, and a grand total of FIVE at-least-decent games. If that is not the mark of a poorly managed series then I don't know.
wolfmanfp
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by wolfmanfp »

I remember playing the Java ME version of Sonic 1 and Sonic Jump on my Sony Ericsson phone as a kid.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Sonic Advance is very, very good. I spent a lot of hours on it. 2 I started but didn't get very far into yet.

(The music is also excellent.)
cs89

Post by cs89 »

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the handheld Sonic games.
I played the following through Kega Fusion emulator: Sonic 1 and 2 (they are decent Sonic games despite the lower screen resolution than Mega Drive), Sonic Chaos, Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic Drift/Sonic Drift 2 (they are similar to Mario Kart), Sonic Spinball (a bit worse version of Sonic Spinball MD), Sonic Triple Trouble (TBH It's the best Game Gear Sonic game) and Sonic Blast.
On PSP I tried Sonic Rivals 1 and 2 games, they were intresting racing game.
On NO$GBA emulator I played those: Sonic Advance 1, Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Advance 3 (it was so superior, there was a feature to choose 2 of 5 characters), Sonic Battle.
I did not play Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure because I did not intrested in Nintendo DS games.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

I've had a lot of fun with Sonic 2, 3 and Knuckles. I didn't play the first Sonic Adventure game, but I played the second one but it felt pretty mediocre. Sonic Lost Worlds was pretty shitty. Sonic Generations felt like a good step in the right direction but it just didn't feel as fluid as the old school Sonic games. Sonic Mania is a blast, even though I only got to play 2 levels.
el armadillo2

Post by el armadillo2 »

Grew up with Advance 1 and years later i started playing the classics and Advance 2 and 3. I sometimes play them when i'm bored, though i haven't gotten very far in either of them.
Herr Dethnout

Post by Herr Dethnout »

I played Sonic 1, 2, Sonic & Knuckles (The best Soundtrack in the series), my personal favorite, Sonic Heroes and recently I played Sonic CD. I like it but 2D games have a centered camera, making the game not much enjoyable.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

I played Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Generations.
Although, I like the music of Sonic CD (PAL version) though...
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Played the everloving shit out of 1, 2, 3&K and CD. Then there was this long period of almost 25 years where there were no Sonic games at all, and then Mania came out, and it was as if the old hog had never been away.

There were no games between 3&K and Mania. Stop looking at me like that.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

scalliano wrote:Played the everloving shit out of 1, 2, 3&K and CD. Then there was this long period of almost 25 years where there were no Sonic games at all, and then Mania came out, and it was as if the old hog had never been away.

There were no games between 3&K and Mania. Stop looking at me like that.
I believe you, just put the crowbar away!
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

Project Dark Fox wrote:I believe you, just put the crowbar away!
*Cracks Knuckles*

... Whoops. I guess the next game gets a smaller character roster.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Here, I wouldn't worry, they've got hundreds more where he came from :laff:

Although, speaking of ancillary characters, I did quite enjoy that S-Factor rom hack. Extra props for getting the Amen Break into a Mega Drive game.
Spoiler:
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

I might've played them a bit. (who knows)

If I did, it was probably the oldest ones...y'know, with a flat 2D screen view that whizzed around like mad. And possibly that 3D one with loads of chequered squares on the floor.

Return to “Off-Topic”