What is Going On With Doom 64 EX?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: What is Going On With Doom 64 EX?

Post by Cacodemon345 »

Building a Mac version feels more like a waste of time of me. It feels like a lot of work (and even more if you don't have a Mac). And it also doesn't have that much payoff, considering how underpowered Macs are compared to those that are sold with Windows hardware. And as Graf already said, there's only 2% GZDoom users using GZDoom, so supporting them is more work than payoff. And I expect that to not improve and instead deteriorate in the coming months with Apple basically fucking up OpenGL support and favouring their own graphics API.

On-topic: I am with Gez and Kinsie about Kaiser. He's busy with projects at Nightdive Studios, so not much has been done about Doom64EX and the only commits that I see seems to look like they're more directed towards maintenance.

It basically feels like ZDoom being still maintained in the form of GZDoom, but with much more effort put towards features and bugfixing rather than maintenance.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Cacodemon345 wrote:and the only commits that I see seems to look like they're more directed towards maintenance.
Which makes sense for a project with a limited goal. Once the goal is reached and the engine works to its maker's satisfaction, maintenance is really all that's left to do.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Upload macOS application bundle of the current version here with brief instruction how to run it.
Seems to work fine, played the first map a bit. Have no idea about its stability though.
Sgt Nate V

Post by Sgt Nate V »

I don't even use a Mac anymore. I got a PC for my birthday last year. I was just throwing that out there for the people that DO use Macs.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Sgt Nate V wrote:I don't even use a Mac anymore. I got a PC for my birthday last year. I was just throwing that out there for the people that DO use Macs.
So you're taking an issue that isn't even an issue for you, and by your own admission 'already reported a few years back,' just to take an opportunity to slam whoever was working on said issue?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

wildweasel wrote:
Sgt Nate V wrote:I don't even use a Mac anymore. I got a PC for my birthday last year. I was just throwing that out there for the people that DO use Macs.
So you're taking an issue that isn't even an issue for you, and by your own admission 'already reported a few years back,' just to take an opportunity to slam whoever was working on said issue?
Yeah, this is very disappointing, I agree. I really wish people were more considerate than this... this is just absolutely shameful. It's a disgrace.

Return to “Off-Topic”