Rise of the Triad source ports

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Hipnotic Rogue

Re: Rise of the Triad source ports

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

Maybe someone with the know-how could organise a community project for Dark-Assassin's work or perhaps Return of the Triad to kickstart a little bit of interest? We've had DUMP and HUMP - How about RUMP?

Just putting it out there. :)
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by hoover1979 »

Sorry for the necro, but I can not get WinROITTGL to run at all on Windows 10 Pro x64. It crashes with an assertion failure crash. I found a port for the non-gl winROTT that ran on windows 10 but it only ran in a 1024x768 window (no full screen working at all), and had no sound.
camper

Post by camper »

Polyobjects are now implemented in K8VAVOOM. But ROTT also has a different weapon system, several powerful cannons, but they cannot be carried at the same time. The powerful cannon in slot 4 can be replaced with another one, but it is not saved in the inventory.
camper

Post by camper »

Also, some actors (for example, plates) have sprites at the bottom and at the top, i.e. they do not turn into flat cardboard when viewed from below, but have a set of sprites vertically.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Since this thread has been bumped, here's what is AFAIK the recommended ROTT port nowadays: https://github.com/LTCHIPS/rottexpr
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

It uses SDL Mixer? That's one huge negative... :?

Too bad I don't have the time to do a third engine - this one's in dire need of getting something more modern.
Rebel Clover
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Rebel Clover »

At a risk of sounding completely ignorant, what's wrong with SDL Mixer?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I'm not sure if the problem still exists but it had a long standing bug with multithreading that could only be worked around by forcing the entire application onto one single CPU core.
Needless to say, that pretty much whacks performance on modern systems quite thoroughly because they spawn several background threads even though the user rarely notices.

For game engines, both the graphics driver and the sound engine need to use workers, but if they all run on the same core they only steal time from the main game thread.

But anyway, this project looks right out of Linux hell. All it comes with is a makefile and rest assured, it will only work with GCC.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Graf Zahl wrote:But anyway, this project looks right out of Linux hell. All it comes with is a makefile and rest assured, it will only work with GCC.
Yep - having that exact same problem with libmpg123 right now, when I tried to create an ARM windows version of the .dll. Incidentally I haven't found a copy of MinGW that supports ARM64 yet though one may exist.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

AFAIK libmpg123 was also one of those projects that have a Windows version but ship with a broken import library that forces disabling of important compiler options in MSVC. So no surprise there.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

It's the last drop-in that I need to complete a full experimental ARM Windows release of GZDoom.

EDIT: I found a more modern replacement - I'll see if it's drop-in compatible with ZMusic. Otherwise, I might see about updating ZMusic to the newer library, if possible. https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpg123 ... 23/1.29.2/ It's still GCC-only though.

Anyway I'll stop derailing this thread.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

I've been slowly developing a rott port out of boredom but I don't know if it'll get anywhere, since I have no patience or self focus (ugh). I don't know if it was fixed in more recent versions, but when Civvie showed off rottexpr, I noticed a lot of jank like walls vanishing at the corners of your view and flats getting distorted as they draw left to right (though to be fair at ultrawide resolutions that may be unfixable without floating point), and that really didn't fill me with confidence
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Quoting someone on another forum:
I briefly hacked about with the Icculus ROTT source years back with a view to porting it to... something, I forget. From what I remember

- Adding new screen modes is a pain, with "if (SCREENWIDTH==640)" scattered all over the place
- The sound API was flaky, not passing around length correctly and just hoping the .wav player wouldn't got out-of-bounds and crash
- The fogging/lighting broke on higher resolutions, as it used on-screen height in pixels to decide how much to apply. This at least was (partially?) fixed

So, yeah, not really difficult to fix but a lot of dull roll-up-your-sleeves-and-get-on-with-it work.
It's a pity there's nothing better out there.

Return to “Off-Topic”