Advice on running doom iwads

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
John101

Advice on running doom iwads

Post by John101 »

Hey, Community I am working on a 3d engine for doom well it's not been my first engine ever made but I wanted to make a whole remake of doom and still keep the original aspect you all know and love about what made doom great. So, I thought I would ask Is there some code I could look at on GitHub or somewhere else that could give me an idea on how to run doom Iwads in my new engine with parameters like most doom source ports are designed to run. Because Doom 3 BFG uses a method for running the Iwads also so there should be a way to do this.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Advice on running doom iwads

Post by wildweasel »

John101 wrote:So, I thought I would ask Is there some code I could look at on GitHub or somewhere else that could give me an idea on how to run doom Iwads in my new engine with parameters like most doom source ports are designed to run.
Here's the complete GZDoom source code.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

I could have swore there were lightweight libraries floating around for reading and manipulating WAD files, but I'm coming up short. The closest I could find was this copy of libwad in the Sonic Robo Blast 2 source.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The only reason that ZDoom's resource management isn't lightweight is the support for all the different formats. The WAD reader itself is not that complicated.

Return to “Off-Topic”