Advice on running doom iwads

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Advice on running doom iwads

Postby John101 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:33 pm

Hey, Community I am working on a 3d engine for doom well it's not been my first engine ever made but I wanted to make a whole remake of doom and still keep the original aspect you all know and love about what made doom great. So, I thought I would ask Is there some code I could look at on GitHub or somewhere else that could give me an idea on how to run doom Iwads in my new engine with parameters like most doom source ports are designed to run. Because Doom 3 BFG uses a method for running the Iwads also so there should be a way to do this.
John101
Banned User

Re: Advice on running doom iwads

Postby wildweasel » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:46 pm

John101 wrote:So, I thought I would ask Is there some code I could look at on GitHub or somewhere else that could give me an idea on how to run doom Iwads in my new engine with parameters like most doom source ports are designed to run.

Here's the complete GZDoom source code.
wildweasel
「お前はもうトースト」[you are already toast.]
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Kinsie » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:28 pm

I could have swore there were lightweight libraries floating around for reading and manipulating WAD files, but I'm coming up short. The closest I could find was this copy of libwad in the Sonic Robo Blast 2 source.
Kinsie
A Concept Utterly Obsolete

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:07 am

The only reason that ZDoom's resource management isn't lightweight is the support for all the different formats. The WAD reader itself is not that complicated.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer

Return to Off-Topic