I want a modern DOS

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: I'm want a modern DOS

Post by Graf Zahl »

Tell that to the makers of Linux... (By that I mean the pure, unadulterated base system.) :mrgreen:
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

I have been trying out cmd in fulscreen and still don't see any problem with it.
there are just a few limits that force me to use fileexplorer instead and quit cmd for a while but if it was designed to be an actuall os, the developers probably would have created commands to remove these limits, to be honest all I want is the main desktop replaced with a console.
With a taskbar and the pointer there it seems to be wokring just fine.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

Zen3001, if you are really into command line, you can try Cygwin. With it, you can have powerful shell like bash or zsh, Midnight Commander (mc) as a file manager, and lots of command line tools. And all this while remaining on Windows.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Cacodemon345 wrote:@Graf Zahl:
Trying to design a modern OS with a command-line system won't actually do much good, because times have changed ever since the GUI became the main way of operating a computer.
I suppose this is correct, for certain meanings of "design", "modern", "OS", "with", "command-line", "system", "do", "much", "good", "because", "times", "the", "main", "operating", "computer" and some other words.

The way things are going everyone who's got a full desktop PC instead of just using their smartphone is going to be
1. a gamer,
2. the sort of person who could be expected to have some knowledge of how to use the command line and why they would need and occasionally prefer one, or (obviously not an exclusive or)
3. is just using it for work and someone else at their company is in charge of dealing with the blood and guts of the thing.

The culture around PCs might start looking more like the very early 90s (common in many households but no one would be surprised that someone doesn't have one who doesn't need it for work) than the early 2000s (as ubiquitous as the TV, but per person rather than per household).

(I say this as someone who almost always prefers the GUI option as a user, but also as someone who's recently developed a new appreciation for how much a pain in the ass they are to write compared to a command line parameter)
Last edited by Matt on Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I know lots of people who neither are gamers nor software developers nor solely use a computer at work, but they all use it for things that just cannot be done with a smartphone or tablet. Like using photo editing software, for example.
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Indeed, I manage my household accounts in a spreadsheet, with various financial planning forecasts. The bank's tablet/phone apps simply can't accommodate that. As for GUIs generally I have become quite proficient at bash for making apps for my own use (C if really necessary), but for day to day stuff... the GUI makes things easy ... when you just want to get stuff done! :)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Heh, yes.
I find it ridiculous how some mobile gurus have been predicting the end of the home computer "because for regular people a smartphone is enough" for years. It only shows some distinct lack of understanding what computers are being used for - and so far nobody is producing any docks to transform a smartphone into a work machine (not that it'd make sense with Apple's crippleOS and Google's spyOS... :twisted:)
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

I would be happy if regular people kept themselfs away from computers and limit themselfs to smart phones.
Don't ask me why
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Zen3001 wrote:I would be happy if regular people kept themselfs away from computers and limit themselfs to smart phones.
Don't ask me why
That's literally impossible.

A normal computer is required for a lot of things - for instance, at work a computer may be required in order to log in time sheets, request scheduling changes, manage payroll and inventory, track money "leaks", etc.

And we're certainly not going back to the '60's when this was all done by hand.

Also, smart phones are, themselves, limited in what they can do. They have a certain limited storage capacity which any computer whatsoever far exceeds, the keying interface is extremely limited and clunky, in fact the only advantage smart phones have over computers is the ability to not use a mouse - which, itself, is only good for playing first person shooters - everything else can be done by touch screen which is way better. Personally, I have remote desktop apps on my smart phone to bypass these limitations - and it's made my life easier using one.

So yeah - everyone in any western country is going to be required to use a computer at some point in their lifetime. What they do outside of those requirements is their own choice and business, and telling them they can't do it is utterly insane.
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

Most people I know only use computers to watch netflix and play console games(no pc required).
And not everyone works as an accountant, there are well paid jobs that don't require PCs.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Still - you can't ask that people not use PC's. That's just wrong on so many levels. Leave it to them to decide that.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

For what it's worth, I totally agree with the rebuttals to my last post so far.

Well, almost:
mouse - which, itself, is only good for playing first person shooters - everything else can be done by touch screen which is way better
It gets really tiring after a while to be reaching up to a fixed screen all the time, and it's a huge pain in the ass for some of us to do anything precise with a touchscreen in the best of circumstances.

One of my favourite things about switching to trackball is that it can make my button-clicking action almost totally physically separate from my cursor movement, so if, say, I suddenly notice a ".." where I'd meant "..." in the middle of a wall of small-format text I can move the cursor to exactly one of those spots between the dots (or between either dot and the thin space next to it) and know what I'm going to click on before I click. I'm not stuck there for a minute trying to make sure the exact centre of the pad of my finger hits the screen at exactly the right time and moisture level that it registers at that spot, without over-pressing and selecting a block of text. (Really, the same applies to mice as well, it's just a bit easier to bump the mouse while clicking and turning your click into a drag)

My ideal setup might be a regular desktop with a trackball, but also the option to use the touchscreen to send a cursor immediately to the spot touched, with a double-tap meaning a left click, two-finger scrolling and maybe a 10px threshold for click-and drag motions.

Return to “Off-Topic”