Things haven't looked so well

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
EddieMann

Things haven't looked so well

Post by EddieMann »

Ever since the whole phishing incident with Shades of Doom that avast warned me and I ignored, I've done everything I could to fix the issue after removing the search323892 xyz thing. Restarted chrome, disabled cookies, removed extensions, reset the settings, even uninstalled and reinstalled it (doubt that a clean reinstall is possible), even using malwarebytes and mcafee. And much to my utter dismay, I'm thrice met with this when I log into my email:

I'm super paranoid and sick at the thought of it carrying onto my google profile, although it's only plaguing my system. I feel totally off my rocker and incapable of thinking straight. I feel like there's nothing I can do and It suffocates me in hopelessness. I really, honest to god hope this isn't forever.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Things haven't looked so well

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I am sorry for the hugely dumb question, but: Have you tried other browsers? Does the exact same thing happens?
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

I think by now you're at a point where you should format your HD and reinstall your OS. Oh, and make sure to check your router settings, they might have been changed.
And you should find a secure computer and change ALL your passwords to strong, unique ones ASAP! Your current passwords have likely been stolen already!
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

GAA1992 wrote:I am sorry for the hugely dumb question, but: Have you tried other browsers? Does the exact same thing happens?
It hasn't happened on iridium, mozilla, nor IE.
phantombeta wrote:I think by now you're at a point where you should format your HD and reinstall your OS. Oh, and make sure to check your router settings, they might have been changed.
And you should find a secure computer and change ALL your passwords to strong, unique ones ASAP! Your current passwords have likely been stolen already!
Hurk. I can only hope that I get this junker formatted and wiped clean, I wish I didn't rely on google for all my passwords and stuff. What an absolute nightmare i've set myself up for.
Can a phishing program like that steal my passwords from an antivirus password protector? If I format it and wipe it clean, would it be secure?
Last edited by EddieMann on Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

EddieMann wrote:Can a phishing program like that steal my passwords from an antivirus password protector?
I don't want to panic you, but I'd argue that having your password protector be a part of your antivirus tool is, in fact, inviting phishing programs to target it. Because if a given virus already knows how to bypass the shields on your scanner of choice, it wouldn't be that big of a step to then crack it wide open and nab all the stuff it's tried to "protect" for you.

The only truly internet-secure way to ensure that hackers don't get your saved passwords is to never save your passwords to your computer. (I, personally, use a Rolodex.)
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

wildweasel wrote:
EddieMann wrote:Can a phishing program like that steal my passwords from an antivirus password protector?
I don't want to panic you, but I'd argue that having your password protector be a part of your antivirus tool is, in fact, inviting phishing programs to target it. Because if a given virus already knows how to bypass the shields on your scanner of choice, it wouldn't be that big of a step to then crack it wide open and nab all the stuff it's tried to "protect" for you.

The only truly internet-secure way to ensure that hackers don't get your saved passwords is to never save your passwords to your computer. (I, personally, use a Rolodex.)
But wouldn't that make logging on harder without autofill?
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

The popups stopped but i'm still wary and anxious.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

EddieMann wrote:But wouldn't that make logging on harder without autofill?
That's the price you pay.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

I'm still nervous over my computer - the virus is gone for all I know, I haven't had any suspicious login attempts in google, but i've still yet to get my computer fixed up. Anybody know any effective calming techniques?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

EddieMann wrote:I'm still nervous over my computer - the virus is gone for all I know, I haven't had any suspicious login attempts in google, but i've still yet to get my computer fixed up. Anybody know any effective calming techniques?
Chamomile tea and low-frequency vibrations tend to work well for me.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

phantombeta wrote:I think by now you're at a point where you should format your HD and reinstall your OS. Oh, and make sure to check your router settings, they might have been changed.
I'm a bit hesitant to ask, but why?
phantombeta

Post by phantombeta »

The former because your OS obviously has viruses. Some viruses can also infect other EXE files, which means you could get infected again by running said EXE files.
As for checking the router settings, some viruses change your router's settings to route all traffic through a server owned by the creator of the virus to steal your passwords and personal data.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

phantombeta wrote:The former because your OS obviously has viruses. Some viruses can also infect other EXE files, which means you could get infected again by running said EXE files.
As for checking the router settings, some viruses change your router's settings to route all traffic through a server owned by the creator of the virus to steal your passwords and personal data.
I reset the router and numerous passwords too, Neither malwarebytes nor unhackme are reporting anything bad, but could my flash drives and wacom tablet get infected if I plug them in and use them? Tell me that my google account isn't compromised.
Last edited by EddieMann on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

EddieMann wrote:I reset the router and numerous passwords too, Neither malwarebytes nor unhackme are reporting anything bad
That's good.
but could my flash drives and wacom tablet get infected if I plug them in?
Flash drives, theoretically, if the virus in question is tenacious enough to hide from your scanners - but two separate scans by two different programs came up with nothing, so the chances of that happening are significantly lower. Your tablet, though? Not unless it has any form of onboard storage.
Tell me that my google account isn't compromised.
Only Google can tell you that. Check your Google Accounts page for any unusual access logs.
phantombeta

Post by phantombeta »

wildweasel wrote:
but could my flash drives and wacom tablet get infected if I plug them in?
Flash drives, theoretically, if the virus in question is tenacious enough to hide from your scanners - but two separate scans by two different programs came up with nothing, so the chances of that happening are significantly lower. Your tablet, though? Not unless it has any form of onboard storage.
That's wrong, actually. If you can flash a new firmware on it from your computer, a virus can flash a malicious firmware on it. I imagine it's unlikely that someone has made a virus that flashes a malicious firmware to a drawing tablet, though.

Return to “Off-Topic”