Just when you thought it was safe to go back on the internet

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Just when you thought it was safe to go back on the inte

Post by Rachael »

Well - hopefully this will get struck down by the courts. It's one thing to be a law - it's another to enforce it - and that's a whole different animal, especially something this draconian and short-sighted.

If it is upheld - then we have dark days ahead indeed.
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cacodemon345 »

It won't get struck down by the courts, because with the World Cup thing happening, there are barely people to protest against it.
Last edited by Rachael on Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: warned
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Cacodemon345 wrote:It won't get struck down by the courts, because with the World Cup thing happening, there are barely people to protest against it.
Would you stop making pessimistic assumptions about things that have very little to do with the issue at hand? Not everyone watches the world cup, particularly people who are actually interested in such issues. Also, with the speed that courts move at, the world cup will be LONG over before this even reaches a court.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

If it does goes into action, the newer generation of politicians might revoke it. It's a waiting game, sadly. One that involves our time.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Astrologers proclaimed week of inthernet.
Amount of VPN user doubled.
HoMM humour

And yes, its look like under "cloaking" of world cup someone from higher autority try to play grandmaster-general-commander of the world. But that not the first and not the last time politicians try to push law into....google translate refuse translate word that I want to use here, so "in the field of compliance of laws" just because they want this law, for some reason.

But we need to wait, because, as I said before, they dont have resources and people to control everyone and everywhere....at least now. I dont think forces of copyright manage to win against forces of money.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Apeirogon wrote:Astrologers proclaimed week of inthernet.
HoMM humour
Legion of Politicians.
hardcore_gamer

Post by hardcore_gamer »

Apeirogon wrote:Astrologers proclaimed week of inthernet.
HoMM humour
VPN won't protect against this.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

No, but droves of people blatantly violating the law because it's absolutely fucking ludicrous will. There's no way they can enforce something this draconian - and if they do, then the EU will rapidly lose all of its credibility as a pro-democratic union.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

It hasn't even been passed by parliament yet. Just some committee of higher up idiots "approved" it.
Remember ACTA? It went a lot further and everybody thought it was a done thing and in the end it still went down because of all those campaigns against it that reached the right people.

I guess they will rethink once Google, Facebook or Twitter threaten to block all access to their services. These morons have no idea of what they are going to unleash and once normal members of parliament realize it could sink their careers there will be some magic turnaround. Wanna bet?
hardcore_gamer

Post by hardcore_gamer »

Graf Zahl wrote: It hasn't even been passed by parliament yet. Just some committee of higher up idiots "approved" it.
This will pass. Nothing about any of this is happening by accident.
Graf Zahl wrote: These morons have no idea of what they are going to unleash
They know exactly what this is going to unleash. The power elites including politicians and the old legacy media are starting to realize just how big of a threat the free flow of information on the internet is to them since it allows others to more easily expose their lies and corruption. And thus, they have decided to simply take that power away from people. These laws won't kill the internet by accident, it will do so by design because that is what the elites want. They are doing this on purpose. This will make it much harder to call politicians out on their bullshit, and it will also shield big media companies from having to compete with smaller alternative media since the later won't be able to exist as a result of this law. Like I said, nothing about this is happening by accident. Politicians and the big corporations have realized that the internet is empowering the peasants, and thus they have decided it's time to take it away.

The days of the world wide web are over. The dawn of the regional net, is here.
Graf Zahl wrote: and once normal members of parliament realize it could sink their careers there will be some magic turnaround. Wanna bet?
If the EU parliament won't pass this I will literally post an image of myself with a bucket on my head. But there is no risk of this happening.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Graf Zahl wrote:I guess they will rethink once Google, Facebook or Twitter threaten to block all access to their services.
They won't be the only ones. I sure as hell don't want to be held liable.
hardcore_gamer

Post by hardcore_gamer »

Rachael wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:I guess they will rethink once Google, Facebook or Twitter threaten to block all access to their services.
They won't be the only ones. I sure as hell don't want to be held liable.
You people need to understand that the EU is a power hungry bureaucracy run by old people that doesn't give a shit about any of those things. Most of them are old people who just want to protect their power, and could not care less if social media or other big US sites vanish from Europe. No amount of protesting is going to stop this.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

hardcore_gamer wrote:If the EU parliament won't pass this I will literally post an image of myself with a bucket on my head. But there is no risk of this happening.
I wouldn't be too sure about that.

I'm holding you to the promise of the bucket on your head.
hardcore_gamer

Post by hardcore_gamer »

Rachael wrote:
hardcore_gamer wrote:If the EU parliament won't pass this I will literally post an image of myself with a bucket on my head. But there is no risk of this happening.
I wouldn't be too sure about that.

I'm holding you to the promise of the bucket on your head.
I will stand by that promise. But don't get your hopes up buddy. I mean don't get me wrong, I would LOVE for this to fail. But just know that it won't.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

hardcore_gamer chill out. I have one rude joke about situation like this one. Probably translator a little/a lot break it, but I try my best.

At one factory board of directors established a new rule "No one should swear". And production on this factory stopped.
So board of directors created a commission and sent it to the factory, to understand what is happening. They come to the random worker and ask "Why you dont work?"
And he says "Before this rule I can say "Hey dick, this piece of shit fucking out of this shit", and continue do my own business. And now while I remember name of that dick, while remember name of that piece of shit and what they must do with it workday already over."

Return to “Off-Topic”