Money for mod development [Split]

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Apeirogon

Re: Money for mod development [Split]

Post by Apeirogon »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:when you use gzdoom(LTM, all right reserved) for a commercial purpose, you suddenly have a monetary investment in its internal workings
In any ways it, gzdoom, would require some re working. Mostly because it develops as independent source ports of the source port from the source ports based on the source port of the original source code.
This means, "gzdoom have some code, which not ashamed to show to anyone now and in the near future, and also it have some so archaic code, which last time used on/in cave drawings of cave human, when it learn how to use ' void hello stone world' ()".

In other words, gzdoom is ok as as source port, base for mods and a first steps in a game developer branch of a programmer character tree.
But as a commercial engine its look....weird, IMHO.
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Apeirogon wrote:it develops as independent source ports of the source port from the source ports based on the source port of the original source code.
This means, "gzdoom have some code, which not ashamed to show to anyone now and in the near future, and also it have some so archaic code, which last time used on/in cave drawings of cave human, when it learn how to use ' void hello stone world' ()".

In other words, gzdoom is ok as as source port, base for mods and a first steps in a game developer branch of a programmer character tree.
But as a commercial engine its look....weird, IMHO.
...I'd respond if I could understand what you were saying through all the typos...
Are you saying that the GZDoom source code is old? Because as far as I know the oldest code in there is from around 2000, and it's been worked on steadily since then...
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

RockstarRaccoon wrote: Are you saying that the GZDoom source code is old?
Of course no. That the same that say something like "letter A is old. All must use Ⰰ instead".

I mean, it still have bunch of some little restrictions which...I dont know much english phraseology (neither), so "make impossible to make some not so common thing in it",...which, restrictions, exist in gzdoom because of
1)time when some possibility was implemented;
2)backward compatibility;
3)errors of the developers themselves;
4)etc.

Like, why is function/instruction array.find(something) return array.size(), if it dont find what you want, if more logically just return -1?
Or, why I cant make action line on 3d flood, which can teleport/open door/anything only if some one use it on this define floor?
Or, why just change size of attenuated light, due bug, if in mod/map dont exist zscript file lump OR its version smaller than 3.3?
Or, why dont make tick contant as cvar, which can be changed for more smoother animations or more complicated effects, etc?
Or, when the hell do we recieve ability to play matroska video files, render limiting distanve fog, battle-cruiser-gunship-toster-jeep yamato 2199 and intergalactic teleportator in gzdoom? (that was an irony, just to make sure)

Of course I understand how did it, and all other, happens and why its now dont changing/fix. And of course that not something critically important, without of which you cant do what you want, there are always way workaround. And its normal as for independets source port.

But game industry dictates other conditions for games, which you design for a commercial purpose.
Plus some human feelings...
I remember Drama, with big letter D, with Iron Maiden, about using sprites from it in gzdoom mods. Because all you must do to achieve it open build editor and extract it as png pictures.
You sure that you dont be in rage if I use something from you game in my mod, say gun sprite in full hd 320*240, just because it cool and I want it in my mod? But this is a question from another opera...
RockstarRaccoon

I can barely understand what you are saying but...

1) GZDoom's entire code base has been set up under a license which allows people to use it in commercial games, because that is what the development team wanted.

2) people were trying to get assets from Ion Maiden the day it came out, by requesting that the people who had bought it rip full packs and post them for the people who hadn't bought it. That's why staff didn't want people using those assets. It's a new game that hasn't been out long enough for the developer to want people to just use the assets for mods. I'm not sure I would make the same decision, but it's perfectly reasonable.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:2) people were trying to get assets from Ion Maiden the day it came out, by requesting that the people who had bought it rip full packs and post them for the people who hadn't bought it. That's why staff didn't want people using those assets. It's a new game that hasn't been out long enough for the developer to want people to just use the assets for mods. I'm not sure I would make the same decision, but it's perfectly reasonable.
It's a new game, from a small team, at least partially comprised of people who actually visit these forums. I don't know about you, but I'd see that as a pretty severe slap in the face if I were a part of that team.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

wildweasel wrote:It's a new game, from a small team, at least partially comprised of people who actually visit these forums. I don't know about you, but I'd see that as a pretty severe slap in the face if I were a part of that team.
It's more than just visit these forums - these people are actually part of our community! - especially Cage, who is arguably one of the most well-known.
RockstarRaccoon

Exactly. If you're gonna use commercially developed resources in a mod, the least you can do is spend $10-$20 on the damn game and maybe not put it up to be pirated by its own community...

Return to “Off-Topic”