Split-Screen Multiplayer is Dying

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: Split-Screen Multiplayer is Dying

Postby Rachael » Sun May 20, 2018 6:33 am

Don't you just love video games-- excuse me I meant "live services" because Ubisoft would have you believe that game is an archaic term and that no one uses it anymore...
User avatar
Rachael
QZDoom + Webmaster
 
Joined: 13 Jan 2004

Re: Split-Screen Multiplayer is Dying

Postby The Ultimate DooMer » Sun May 20, 2018 7:34 am

2-player Lemmings on the Amiga...now that was a split-screen multiplayer like no other. (got really competitive when me and a friend used to play)
User avatar
The Ultimate DooMer
Will you start the fans please!
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: Industrial Zone

Re: Split-Screen Multiplayer is Dying

Postby NeuralStunner » Sun May 20, 2018 2:39 pm

I wonder what video game tradition will be "dying" next month? (My guess: Singleplayer.)

Chris wrote:Such a feature need not explicitly be removed by publisher request. But publishers can and do require particular features (or anti-features) in games, like online multiplayer, recurring monetization, "live services", etc, which leaves less time for offline features that don't have recurring revenue. Thus effectively losing such features because of the publisher, even if the publisher never explicitly said to remove it.
This is something not a lot of people seem to get, and which I would like to write on in the future. "The developers" don't make these decisions, but they get most of the blame when these things happen.

Rachael wrote:Don't you just love video games-- excuse me I meant "live services" because Ubisoft would have you believe that game is an archaic term and that no one uses it anymore...
I'm starting to suspect at this point that Ubisoft is literally run by demons. Personally, I hate them even more than EA. (And I don't outright hate things often.)
User avatar
NeuralStunner
Worldcrafter
 
 
 
Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Location: A Dynamic Link Library

Re: Split-Screen Multiplayer is Dying

Postby JadedLexi » Sun May 20, 2018 4:30 pm

NeuralStunner wrote:I wonder what video game tradition will be "dying" next month? (My guess: Singleplayer.)

This already happened when people were complaining that story driven single player games were dying because EA cancelled their SP star wars game. :P
User avatar
JadedLexi
 
Joined: 16 Apr 2018
Discord: JadedLexi#9463

Re: Split-Screen Multiplayer is Dying

Postby Kinsie » Mon May 21, 2018 2:45 am

If only those awful publishers would stop distracting audio middleware programmers from adding support for more than one listener...
User avatar
Kinsie
A Concept Utterly Obsolete
 
Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Location: MAP33
Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Re: Split-Screen Multiplayer is Dying

Postby Assassin of Purity » Thu May 31, 2018 8:56 am

NeuralStunner wrote:I wonder what video game tradition will be "dying" next month? (My guess: Singleplayer.)

Hah! I hope not.
User avatar
Assassin of Purity
 
Joined: 10 May 2018
Discord: Old-School Gaming Pony#5759

Re: Split-Screen Multiplayer is Dying

Postby The Ultimate DooMer » Thu May 31, 2018 9:42 am

I thought all of those spunkgargleweewee modern military shooters with 4-hour SP slideshows campaigns were already a sign of that :P
User avatar
The Ultimate DooMer
Will you start the fans please!
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: Industrial Zone

Re: Split-Screen Multiplayer is Dying

Postby Rachael » Thu May 31, 2018 9:44 am

Assassin of Purity wrote:
NeuralStunner wrote:I wonder what video game tradition will be "dying" next month? (My guess: Singleplayer.)

Hah! I hope not.


Well - that's what's coming down the pike, if EA and Ubisoft and Activision and others have their way.

Single player is going the way of the dodo (according to these companies, anyway) because it does not offer as many or as easy methods of monetization that they can exploit.

After all, if they can keep you on their servers while you play the game - there's all sorts of fuckery and control they can put on you...

And these problems will keep getting worse until people start to vote with their wallets.
User avatar
Rachael
QZDoom + Webmaster
 
Joined: 13 Jan 2004

Re: Split-Screen Multiplayer is Dying

Postby InsanityBringer » Thu May 31, 2018 10:30 am

I'd say there's still hope for SP, given the presence of a lot of experiences in recent times that have sat well with people and lasted a long time. Nier Automata comes to mind as a fairly common example. Indeed, I can't see a lot of the bigger US based dev firms (I'd throw Valve on that list) doing this kind of thing because nier's not monetized at all, but just the fact that a company can put out a great SP game, that becomes incredibly popular and sells well, I'd say is a good sign for the future.
User avatar
InsanityBringer
 
Joined: 05 Jul 2007
Location: opening the forbidden box

Re: Split-Screen Multiplayer is Dying

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Thu May 31, 2018 1:43 pm

isn't the "Soulsborne" series popular as well and sold rather well for all its entries? sure there's some online stuff with invasion and summoning, but that's just to augment the SP campaign, and it kind of popularized actual difficulty in games again. plus, i think even the new God of War game takes elements from Soulsborne, particularly with the weight of your weapons and having to dodge-roll attacks, whereas previous games were mostly button-mashing from what i remember.
User avatar
Princess Viscra Maelstrom
trying to stay positive
 
Joined: 04 Dec 2008
Location: plergleland

Re: Split-Screen Multiplayer is Dying

Postby wildweasel » Thu May 31, 2018 1:59 pm

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:isn't the "Soulsborne" series popular as well and sold rather well for all its entries? sure there's some online stuff with invasion and summoning, but that's just to augment the SP campaign, and it kind of popularized actual difficulty in games again. plus, i think even the new God of War game takes elements from Soulsborne, particularly with the weight of your weapons and having to dodge-roll attacks, whereas previous games were mostly button-mashing from what i remember.

Sometimes I'd really prefer my single-player games to be actually single-player, and not "single-player, but you have to pay the online fee for the privilege of having random players invade to beat you up."

....yeah, those games really aren't for me. :?
User avatar
wildweasel
I love the smell of sourdough in the morning
Moderator Team Lead
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: avatar by kurashiki

Re: Split-Screen Multiplayer is Dying

Postby Chris » Thu May 31, 2018 10:51 pm

If the rumors are to be believed, apparently even Bethesda is moving away from single player. Which is ironic since it was last E3 where they made a big deal for single-player games, essentially attacking EA's and Ubisoft's stance of 'everything online', but now their flagship dev house with one of their flagship SP RPG series are going multiplayer. Of course, the whole Fallout 76 thing is a mess from multiple angles (what's up with Starfield? didn't you say two games with a new IP/IPs before returning to TES/Fallout universes? why two Fallouts in a row?).

The only way it could smooth me over is if it's optional co-op multiplayer, sort of the drop-in/drop-out style like Divinity: Original Sin. But I'm not hopeful for that.
User avatar
Chris
 
Joined: 17 Jul 2003

Re: Split-Screen Multiplayer is Dying

Postby Kinsie » Thu May 31, 2018 11:41 pm

Chris wrote:Of course, the whole Fallout 76 thing is a mess from multiple angles (what's up with Starfield? didn't you say two games with a new IP/IPs before returning to TES/Fallout universes? why two Fallouts in a row?).
The most recent news I saw is that BGS had "two major, multiplatform releases" on the schedule before returning to the Elder Scrolls series. No further specific details outside of that. There was a recent interview on the AIAS Game Maker's Notebook podcast with Todd where he mentioned that they were actively working on one of those games (presumably the now-revealed Fallout 76) while the other was in a pre-production state, planning and preparing tech improvements (a new animation system was mentioned) so they'd be ready to go into full work once the first game was done. TES6 is presumably next on the list after that.

No word on Starfield. It might have become something else, as these things tend to do.
User avatar
Kinsie
A Concept Utterly Obsolete
 
Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Location: MAP33
Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Previous

Return to Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BLEX [Bot], Niphura, zrrion the insect and 2 guests