Looking for a good video editor alternative to Sony Vegas

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Clownman

Looking for a good video editor alternative to Sony Vegas

Post by Clownman »

Hey, so... I forget if I made a thread about this years back but I'm having trouble finding a video editor (preferably free or cheap) that's able to do about as much as Sony Vegas. I've been stuck with Movie Maker for years and I've tried a few other software such as OpenShot but not only do these stress my PC out immensely, but they are riddled with all sorts of problems with just importing audio files and whatnot.

Basically I'm looking for something simple to use, can possibly overlay sound and at least possibly be able to use greenscreen/overlays and special effects. I really hope I'm not asking for too much but google hasn't been really helpful with lending me alternates, Most I come across require payments otherwise you are stuck with a shitty time limit or a huge ass banner watermark.
SouthernLion

Re: Looking for a good video editor alternative to Sony Vega

Post by SouthernLion »

I use Adobe Premiere Pro for pretty much everything, and it is amazing. But it is on the "more expensive side."
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

On the free/open side, there is Cinelerra. I've never used it myself so I don't know if it can do exactly what you want, but I have seen it mentioned elsewhere and I've seen it used (like Xiph.org's videos). I'm also not sure if it works on Windows, or if anyone's ported it to Windows.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

DaVinci Resolve might be something you'll like. It's a higher end-production video editor. But you can get it for free - minus a few advanced features. Editing works just as fine -- and you get its amazing color correction if you ever need it.

Again, it's for high end production work. So it looks daunting at first. A few YouTube videos will get you going for basic non-linear editing.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

I second the DaVinci Resolve. It's trully a professional software so you can start with basic editing a seamlessly dvance to fullscale production if you want. Only be aware, it's demanding and optimized for high end computers. You may need to check compatibility with your graphics card.
Biohazard Party
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by Biohazard Party »

If your going for free, I would suggest Hitfilm Express. I've been using it for about a year now and I like what it's done for me and there are plenty of online tutorials to help you out, otherwise Davinci Resolve seems good.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Clownman's got a point, I wanted to ask the same thing. Before I used Movie Maker 2.0 with lots of add-on effects and transitions which actually made it very good. Alas, the 2.0 refuses to run under Windows 10, and the Movie Maker 6.0 is a gigantic pile of steamin' turd.
Which video editor has the most video effects & transitions (either fan-made or built-in)? This is very important for me to know. It doesn't have to be Sony Vegas or anythin'.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

I've tried a few video editors and eventually settled on Movavi Video Suite.
I use it whenever I need to record something. Very handy for Youtube.
It comes on sale every once in a while.

Return to “Off-Topic”