Who here likes guns? I mean really likes guns?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
insightguy

Re: Who here likes guns? I mean really likes guns?

Post by insightguy »

Hellsmith1 wrote:It's cool to have guns but what's the purpose of having a AR-15, M4 Carbine, or AK47 in your possession.
Same as any other reason to own a gun I guess. Hunting, self-defense, collectors item, fun, and any other gun related purpose.
Hellsmith1 wrote:I like curtain type if guns myself but I'll probably never own one.
oh come on now, assault eyelet curtains are a personal favorite, though I do own some semi-automatic pinch-pleats :P
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Hellsmith1 wrote:It's cool to have guns but what's the purpose of having a AR-15, M4 Carbine, or AK47 in your possession.

I like curtain type if guns myself but I'll probably never own one.
Well, you can't legally own an M4 in this country (except the pre-1986 ones, but that requires a Class 3 Tax Stamp from the Federal government for transfer, your name on a government list for as long as you own a weapon, a basically 6 month+ background check, and the guns can cost up to $40,000 dollars.) But the AR-15 and civilian AK-pattern weapons (AKM and "AK-47" etc.) that you *can* own are limited to semi-automatic fire. It is illegal to own a selective fire weapon with burstfire or fully-automatic weapon (with the grandfathered exceptions I mentioned from pre-1986 that some collectors have), so the rifles and carbines you can legally own are actually the same firing speed / action as any other handgun shotgun or rifle. A Glock you might carry in your glove box, or a semi-automatic shotgun you might own for self-defense or clay pigeon target shooting actually fires as fast or faster than any AR-15 or AK- pattern weapon. To answer your question, The Second Amendment was written to protect the civilians from the Government should it become corrupt. Of course, you could argue that a semi-automatic rifle, (even if we had legal assault rifles like the M4) wouldn't do much against tanks and drones, but every single service member and cop and sheriff I've ever talked to or worked with has stated they would be on the side of civilians and their families in the event of the government turning on its people. Not to mention, in history, small armed civilian resistance groups have stalemated world class militarys. (Vietnam for example.)

The other purpose, is of course, for home defense. My shotgun is almost always a better option in close range home defense (2 3/4" 00 Buckshot in 12 gauge has 9 .33 caliber slugs and has a lot of stopping power on one trigger pull, and the manual pump action is more reliable control over extraction and feeding if there was to be a jam in a life or death situation, God forbid), but in the more rare and scary scenarios such as in the news when multiple gang members broke in to a house from different spots and attacked a family, or if there was dangerous rioting going on in your town... having a reliable and accurate carbine or rifle with a decent magazine size becomes a preferable long gun to the shotgun, as even a semi-automatic shotgun will quickly become outpaced.
Rachael wrote:Also please don't call people "sissies" or describe anyone's level of butthurt - it's trolly language and not appropriate for this forum. You all are adults, I really thought you to be above that sort of behaviour.

It's perfectly okay to be critical of said person's actions, no matter how you feel about the debate itself or where you stand with it, but please let's not use those words.
...Yes, maam. I'm sorry, Miss Rachael.
Last edited by SouthernLion on Fri May 11, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

I've always been fascinated by guns, saying I like them is a bit of an understatement. I look after several older firearms, clean them and make sure they work every so often. I haven't really been able to take them out to a range, but that's the way things go. I have is an old surplus 1895 Chilean Mauser and an old Colt Pocket Hammerless 1903, they're both over a 100 years old and still really beautiful guns despite rusting away in storage for years and years. I'm looking to acquire some semi-automatic rifles soon, add a little more variety to what I have. :) I don't really have any pictures of my collection outside of what I've turned into sprites, so I'll try to take some later.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

This is my double barrel side by side (yes, I bought it because I love Doom), my home defense shotgun (now with new heat shield installed on barrel!) and then my two carry guns. The black one on the left is the .32 ACP I drew to protect my (now late) wife during the attempted car jacking, as explained in my original thread. When the horrific wreck that made my life meaningless happened in October, I was also carrying the black handgun on the left (because I carry 24/7.) When I got the firearm back from the hospital security, it no longer held a magazine correctly. I think the first responders must have stripped the magazine without properly pressing the magazine release button, in a panic to save my life. Since I carry to protect the people I love, I had to go out and buy a new handgun (on the right) which is a much more modern version of the same platform. Both weapons are based on the Walther PPK (of James Bond fame), but my original handgun was made in like 1980, the new one in like 2010 lol. Also, the new one is .380 ACP, which is still small, but a little more stopping power than the tiny .32 ACP I was carrying.

I had a Walther P22CA plinker gun that fired .22LR, but this gun jammed (failure to extract) 12 times in 30 rounds while trying to teach my friend Beth how to shoot. And I KNOW that gun was properly oiled and lubed. The last FTE was so bad that I couldn't get the round out until I got home later that day and popped it out with a cleaning rod. I sold it less than 48 hours later, I'm not dealing with that. LOL.

Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Having an AR-15 or variant (M4, as you said) or AK-47 is a matter of fun. Some people like to have some of the larger caliber guns to shoot at steel targets. Mind you, these weapons are sold in America as semi-automatic.
0mrcynic0
Location: The corner of "screw off" and "none of your business."

Post by 0mrcynic0 »

Used to own a .38 snubnose since I was living in a factory for 4 years. Purely for self-defense but I always hoped I'd never use it unless my life was in danger.

Handled some .40 and .45 caliber pistols as part of my gun training but if given a chance, I'd like to handle assault rifles and shotguns next.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

This may come as a surprise from the guy who does almost nothing but gun mods, but I've never held a gun and don't really care much for them. I'm a passive pacifist. :D

Hell, I even risked going to jail for refusal to join the army. Though I do research and know a thing or two about guns because of that. I do find the histroy and evolution of firearms very interesting though.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Hellser wrote:Some people like to have some of the larger caliber guns to shoot at steel targets. Mind you, these weapons are sold in America as semi-automatic.
Also, the AR-15 and AK-pattern weapons fire fairly small rifle bullets ("intermediary" cartridges.) The 5.56x45mm NATO (and related .223 Remington) of America's assault rifle world, the 7.62x39mm Soviet of the AK-pattern world, and the .300 AAC Blackout (which is America's answer to the 7.62x39mm Soviet, basically) are all designed to be less powerful than a "full" rifle cartridge. When the "assault rifle" was invented by Germany in WWII, and the concept adopted by Soviet Russia and later America, the idea was that most combat scenarios happen at much closer ranges, and all the extra energy and weight of a full rifle (such as a "battle rifle") was detrimental and unnecessary. So they wanted a lighter weapon, with a less powerful cartridge so that the troops could group it easier with less recoil. Hell, there are handgun rounds that are MUCH more powerful than any of the 3 rounds listed above, (such as the .500 S&W Magnum... man what a terrifying handgun), although these intermediary cartridges tend to be more accurate at longer distances than a handgun. You also have this strange side effect of the slug tumbling on impact, depending on the gun it was fired from. (This was more noticed in shorter carbines than full length rifles by American troops.)
0mrcynic0 wrote:Used to own a .38 snubnose since I was living in a factory for 4 years. Purely for self-defense but I always hoped I'd never use it unless my life was in danger.

Handled some .40 and .45 caliber pistols as part of my gun training but if given a chance, I'd like to handle assault rifles and shotguns next.
I'd like to get a .45 ACP handgun to winter carry, when I don't need the smaller PPK-based frame in summer clothes. I didn't like it in the Glock I fired (I don't like Glocks), and I couldn't group it to save my life. But I'm going to test fire it in a heavier and less plasticy handgun and see how I like it.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

That .380 ACP is very nice, I bet it can fit perfectly in someone's pocket, and can be drawn quickly when the need arises. I think if it can handle the task when given, it can be just as good as a Glock.
At the military base, I had an AK-63D and a P-9RC. I liked the AK, and I had no problems at target practices, but the P-9RC was overweight and inaccurate. I'd rather have a .380 ACP instead, just like you do. It just looks way better.
Have you ever tried Soviet firearms? AK, Dragunov, PPSh, or something like that?
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Reactor wrote:That .380 ACP is very nice, I bet it can fit perfectly in someone's pocket, and can be drawn quickly when the need arises. I think if it can handle the task when given, it can be just as good as a Glock.
At the military base, I had an AK-63D and a P-9RC. I liked the AK, and I had no problems at target practices, but the P-9RC was overweight and inaccurate. I'd rather have a .380 ACP instead, just like you do. It just looks way better.
Have you ever tried Soviet firearms? AK, Dragunov, PPSh, or something like that?
I have a civilian AKM ("AK-47") in semi-automatic. I prefer the American platform with my .300 AAC Blackout, but I definitely LOVE the AK. It is a very iconic weapon, and very nasty at the range. lol
Graaicko
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Graaicko »

Yeah AK's are fun, My dream is to own an authentic Kalashnikov AK-74M. My AK in the pic is a Arsenal SLR 104-34. I took the original stock off and replaced it with the 74M stock. I like black guns. :D I also invested in some Zenitco parts. I'm trying to make it look exactly like what the Russian armed forces are using, ever since I got the DTK-1 Muzzle device, the thing sounds like its a beefed up 7.62x39 AK. I looove it.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

CeeJay wrote:This may come as a surprise from the guy who does almost nothing but gun mods, but I've never held a gun and don't really care much for them. I'm a passive pacifist. :D
Merely surprised I'm not alone! :V (though my modding interest is far more about the combat art than the implements themselves)

(alright that's enough of me posting on this thread)
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

I live in Britain where guns are strictly controlled - I'm half tempted just to go to the USA for a week or two just to go to various shooting ranges. I have shot clay pigeons with an over-under shotgun before, though that was probably 10 years ago now. It's difficult to own a firearm in the UK, IIRC it's restricted to long rifles (with certification), semi-automatic rifles (.22 rimfire only) and shotguns and you need either a firearms certificate or a shotgun certificate which is renewed regularly - you must also store it unloaded in a concealed, locked container, same with the ammo. You can also own deactivated firearms but what's the point!

It sucks because I really would like to own a firearm or two, mostly something historic like a Lee-Enfield rifle.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Mikk- wrote:I live in Britain where guns are strictly controlled - I'm half tempted just to go to the USA for a week or two just to go to various shooting ranges. I have shot clay pigeons with an over-under shotgun before, though that was probably 10 years ago now. It's difficult to own a firearm in the UK, IIRC it's restricted to long rifles (with certification), semi-automatic rifles (.22 rimfire only) and shotguns and you need either a firearms certificate or a shotgun certificate which is renewed regularly - you must also store it unloaded in a concealed, locked container, same with the ammo. You can also own deactivated firearms but what's the point!

It sucks because I really would like to own a firearm or two, mostly something historic like a Lee-Enfield rifle.
For being so restricted, you seem really on point with your firearm knowledge. There are Americans that don't know what the hell rimfire or over/under means. lol
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

RexS wrote:
Mikk- wrote:I live in Britain where guns are strictly controlled - I'm half tempted just to go to the USA for a week or two just to go to various shooting ranges. I have shot clay pigeons with an over-under shotgun before, though that was probably 10 years ago now. It's difficult to own a firearm in the UK, IIRC it's restricted to long rifles (with certification), semi-automatic rifles (.22 rimfire only) and shotguns and you need either a firearms certificate or a shotgun certificate which is renewed regularly - you must also store it unloaded in a concealed, locked container, same with the ammo. You can also own deactivated firearms but what's the point!

For being so restricted, you seem really on point with your firearm knowledge. There are Americans that don't know what the hell rimfire or over/under means. lol
Firearms are something that genuinely interests me - I'm somewhat of an enthusiast without actually owning anything!

Return to “Off-Topic”