Who here likes guns? I mean really likes guns?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Graaicko
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: Who here likes guns? I mean really likes guns?

Post by Graaicko »

Mikk- wrote:I'm half tempted just to go to the USA for a week or two just to go to various shooting ranges.
If you do decide to come here for that, I recommend going to Vegas and checking out Battlefield Vegas. You get to fire any choice of weaponry. They have a large selection of fully-automatics to rent at the range. :D
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

What's nice these days is you really don't need to even touch a firearm to have a fairly comprehensive understanding of them. The internet is a vast trove of knowledge (both concrete and anecdotal) about their history, function, capabilities, terminology, and effects. The only thing you're really missing out on is the tactile experience of handling/shooting it, and for many people the experience they get from a videogame is "good enough."

That said, I really do want to get some guns of my own. 9mm pistol for concealed carry, 12ga pump shotgun for home defense, 5.56mm AR-15 platform just because. Of course I'd get .22LR conversion kits for the pistol and rifle, for range plinking. If feasible, I'd also want various other caliber conversion kits for the AR. Probably .300 Blackout and .458 SOCOM would be my top choices for alternative kits.

8-)
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Hm. What about heavy weapons? Anyone of you ever utilized or fired one of them? RPG, LAW rocket launcher, grenade launcher or such?
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Caligari87 wrote:Probably .300 Blackout and .458 SOCOM
What about .50 Beowulf? Apparently they're quite popular in Canada for AR15 users in canada (mostly because of their capacity ban and making each shot count)
Reactor wrote:Hm. What about heavy weapons? Anyone of you ever utilized or fired one of them? RPG, LAW rocket launcher, grenade launcher or such?
Closest thing I got was "operating" and dry firing dual mounted mg on a ship (the ones used to defend the ship from smaller craft or planes) . Thing was a chore to operate and a pain in the armpits. (Happened on a Naval ROTC ship tour)
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Welp, so the turretguns in FPS games are just as unrealistic as the silencers. They're hard to handle, and on the long run, can mess up your arms. Another lesson learnt, folks :)
0mrcynic0
Location: The corner of "screw off" and "none of your business."

Post by 0mrcynic0 »

I have a slight fascination with ACRs, guess the Punisher comics influenced me on that one. At least an airsoft version of this will suffice.

SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

This was me and my buddy shooting the 3" Magnum 00 Buckshot shells in 12 gauge. It will leave your shoulder black and blue if you don't hold the weapon correctly.

Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

insightguy wrote:What about .50 Beowulf? Apparently they're quite popular in Canada for AR15 users in Canada (mostly because of their capacity ban and making each shot count)
I'm torn between .50 Beowulf and .458 SOCOM. They seem like very similar rounds and I can't imagine the .50 stopping something the .458 wouldn't already handle just fine. In the end it'd probably come down to asking my local gun shop "which one is more readily available and cost-effective?"

EDIT: Doing a little more research it seems the .50 is cheaper overall, so if it ever comes down to it that's probably what I'll get lol.

8-)
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

sorry to come in, but, are talking about real guns or airsoft?
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

YukesVonFaust wrote:sorry to come in, but, are talking about real guns or airsoft?
Real guns. Although airsoft are cool, too. I've seen some people train movement and combat tactics with airsoft, before.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Splendid video, RexS, thumbs up for ya! :) the sounds are so Doom-ish, I could use'em in the actual game if you could record'em more cleanly :)
Did you have any luck with a SPAS Franchi? I'm curious if you can handle one, and whether or not it is really that great of a shotty.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Reactor wrote:Splendid video, RexS, thumbs up for ya! :) the sounds are so Doom-ish, I could use'em in the actual game if you could record'em more cleanly :)
Did you have any luck with a SPAS Franchi? I'm curious if you can handle one, and whether or not it is really that great of a shotty.
I'll have to see if I have a better quality camera somewhere next time I go LOL. Are you talking about the SPAS-12? Because that is my favorite gun on Earth, and I can't find it anywhere. (It is illegal to sell in America, but not illegal to own.) By modern standards, it has reliability problems, but it is just such a bad ass gun with the semi-automatic / pump selective fire switch, and the magazine cut off switch (so you can insert a specialty shell from your belt like tear gas, stun grenade, door breach etc. and prevent the regular buckshot from feeding during cycle until you turn the switch off). I'd love to own one if I can ever find one.

If you aren't talking about the SPAS-12, disregard everything I just said. lol
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Yes, I was referring to the SPAS-12 :) It is pretty awkward to hear that it is "ill eagle" to sell, but you can actually own one without problems. Like uh, you supposed to grow it in your garden? :D It might sound strange for me, as in Hungary, you're strictly prohibited to own any firearms, apart from lousy airsoft or teargas guns, so it's somewhat understandable if I am confused by reading this.
What about shooting ranges? Isn't there one which has a SPAS-12 for the visitors to use?
I am also fascinated by the different effects of the different coloured shotgun shells, but if you ever get to try out a SPAS, the most basic simple buckshot would do it for the demonstration :)
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Reactor wrote:Yes, I was referring to the SPAS-12 :) It is pretty awkward to hear that it is "ill eagle" to sell, but you can actually own one without problems. Like uh, you supposed to grow it in your garden? :D It might sound strange for me, as in Hungary, you're strictly prohibited to own any firearms, apart from lousy airsoft or teargas guns, so it's somewhat understandable if I am confused by reading this.
What about shooting ranges? Isn't there one which has a SPAS-12 for the visitors to use?
I am also fascinated by the different effects of the different coloured shotgun shells, but if you ever get to try out a SPAS, the most basic simple buckshot would do it for the demonstration :)
You can rent modern belt-fed machine guns, (which are 100% illegal to own, Class III tax exemptions only apply to pre-1986 weapons) so I imagine there is a range with a SPAS-12. I'll have to look for that. And I wouldn't pay too much attention to the color of the shells, any company can color the plastic any color they want. (Although some ammunition brands color code.) But yes, the diversity of the shotgun is what makes it my favorite gun. The 30+ ranges of shot size, from the smallest birdshot, to the biggest buckshot. Slugs. Flamethrower rounds. Stun grenades. Less-than-lethal rounds. LITERALLY A TAZER ROUND (!!!!)*. I actually saw a YouTube video of someone shooting a coke bottle with Mentos shotgun shell LOL!!! It was pointless, of course, because the impact blew the bottle up as if it was regular shot.

But yeah, the versatility of the shotgun is extremely cool and unique.

Graaicko
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Graaicko »

Last edited by Graaicko on Mon May 14, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Off-Topic”