Who here likes guns? I mean really likes guns?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Who here likes guns? I mean really likes guns?

Post by Caligari87 »

Oh hey this thread exists. Forgot to drop an important announcement, I ended up getting my own firearm finally!

Canik TP9DA in 9x19mm

Google Photos album of with some videos. I'm the guy in the black button-down shirt and dark glasses (obviously)

So far I've got 200 rounds through it with no issues. It aims well and feels really ergonomic, and the recoil is certainly tolerable compared to some other pistols I've tried. I love the trigger break and reset, it's so crisp! As you can see above, I had wanted a 1911, but realized that was probably impractical and overly expensive for my first gun. I've also completed my concealed-carry course and submitted my paperwork to the ATF/FBI/BCI, so hopefully I should get my carry permit soon.

Let freedom ring, lol.

8-)
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Caligari87 wrote:Oh hey this thread exists. Forgot to drop an important announcement, I ended up getting my own firearm finally!

Canik TP9DA in 9x19mm

Google Photos album of with some videos. I'm the guy in the black button-down shirt and dark glasses (obviously)

So far I've got 200 rounds through it with no issues. It aims well and feels really ergonomic, and the recoil is certainly tolerable compared to some other pistols I've tried. I love the trigger break and reset, it's so crisp! As you can see above, I had wanted a 1911, but realized that was probably impractical and overly expensive for my first gun. I've also completed my concealed-carry course and submitted my paperwork to the ATF/FBI/BCI, so hopefully I should get my carry permit soon.

Let freedom ring, lol.

8-)
She looks beautiful, brother. After doing the finger print / hand print and paperwork submission, it was about 3 months until I got my concealed weapon permit in the mail. I guess it just depends.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

---
Last edited by SouthernLion on Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Forgot again to post here! Went to the range the other day. Indoor instead of outdoor, at the shop I bought the above pistol at, since they gave me a couple of "free range time" coupons with the purchase.

These were my first two targets. I put them out at about 15ft and alternated shooting two shots at each. Mostly I just worked various "made up on the spot" drills, a few draws and reloads.

Also tested my new ear protection setup, which seemed to work pretty well: 32dB NRR earplugs, with 24Db NRR electronic earmuffs on top, crank the earmuff amplification to max. All told I think it works out to 40-ish dB of dangerous-noise reduction, and the electronic amplification cranks high enough to let me hear normal sounds through the earplugs.

I think I'm up to about 470 rounds through the pistol now, really liking it. Hopefully my CCW permit comes in the mail soon, been waiting like 35 days now :laff:

8-)
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Caligari87 wrote:Hopefully my CCW permit comes in the mail soon, been waiting like 35 days now :laff:
So, hilariously, my permit was probably sitting in the mailbox at the exact moment I made my post yesterday. i just didn't get it until I checked the mail at 9pm on my way home!

Copy-pasted from my Reddit /r/CCW post:
  • State/County: Utah, Salt Lake County
  • Processing Time: 35 days. I turned in paperwork and paid in-person on the June 24th and the permit arrived yesterday. (2019-06-24 to 2019-07-29)
  • Gear/Planned Setup: Canik TP9DA. 2x15 magazines (they can hold 17-18 but they're a bitch to get full and I like round numbers). Only have a basic cloth holster right now, but I'm planning on a StealthGear Ventcore Mini, carried left-handed at 8-9 o'clock.
  • Training Completed/Scheduled: 4 hour permit course. 470 rounds through the gun so far. I'm looking into courses near me for CCW training specifically.
The Canik is heavy, but I like that for recoil control and sag doesn't seem to be an issue so far even with a regular leather belt. It shoots well, and even as a relatively inexperienced shooter I really really like the trigger. The cheap $12 Walmart cloth holster is pretty comfy for me, and I've test-carried a 1911-pattern bluegun in it a few times without being made (previously posted if you scroll back). Permit process was as easy as I could imagine it being, though the class didn't cover much I didn't already know.

8-)
will183
Operating System Version (Optional): Win-10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by will183 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6DDyDr4Zyg This is such a strange gun, I always liked the way the PMR-30 looked, The charging handle reminds me so much of an MP7. Very cool gun indeed. Shame it has some feeding issues.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

I sold my AK-47 (civilian "AKM" based carbine). And bought an AK-74. lmao. The AK-74 uses the 5.45x93mm cartridge, which was the Russian development in response to the American 5.56x45mm NATO (and .223 Remington) that is used by our troops in AR-15 based weapons (M16, M4, H&K416, etc.) and our civilian AR-15s, replacing the infamous 7.62x39mm Soviet used in the AK-47 and AKM rifles.

What's funny about that, is the .300 AAC Blackout my decked out carbine uses is the American response to the Russian 7.62x39mm Soviet bullet. So I have a weapon chambered in a Russian bullet that was trying to copy Americans, and a weapon chambered in an American bullet that was trying to copy Russians. lmao

I don't like the finish on the wood being off, and I don't like the swivel stock. After I test fire the gun and make sure it's solid, I'm going to invest in matching red furniture, including a red solid buttstock.

SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Okay. So. I didn't like the AK-74, so I sold that used piece of rusty shit and bought another brand new higher quality AK-47. LMAO. I am MUCH more satisfied with this purchase, although I had to take out another $250 on top of the trade. (It's an AKM based civilian rifle, to be technical.) Something anyone buying new guns needs to know, is the first thing you should do is take the gun apart and clean out any manufacturing machine oil. That oil is designed to lubricate the process of the gun being stamped together on an assembly line, it is NOT designed to lubricate the weapon while firing. Clean that junk out and put a real gun oil or grease on all the metal/metal moving parts. (Especially things like bolt carrier and or slide rail, recoil spring, extractor and firing pin. Although some people are against just putting oil down the firing pin hole because of it gunking up.)

SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Going to the range with a close friend of mine. I'm not sure if she's ever shot a gun before. I asked if she wanted me to buy a weapon in .22 LR, (probably the best beginner gun there is), and she said she wasn't nervous about starting with something bigger and not to waste my money. So, I'm bringing the:

Bersa Thunder 380 (.380 ACP)
Beretta 92FS "M9" (9mm Luger)
Spike's Tactical custom carbine (.300 AAC Blackout)
VSKA "AKM\AK-47" (7.63x39mm Soviet)

I got them all cleaned and lubricated up for tomorrow morning with her. I need to test fire the new AK- anyway. (Having a weapon for self-defense that you aren't even sure fires is very poor judgement. It's like having a back up car for emergencies that you've never seen seen turn on.) I'll try to get some video for you guys while we are there.

SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Admins, please forgive triple bump. Here is some video of my friend on our trip to the range. It was great to see her, and she did really well. I'll get the video of myself up soon, after I finish putting it all together. Ladies first, you know.

Last edited by SouthernLion on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

I'm fine with it, meaningful bumps are not verbotten or anything :P

Plus you're keeping my favorite thread alive. I just don't have any content to add lately.

8-)
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Well... alright. lol. Here's the video she took of me at the range. The second firearm (0:45) is the pistol that the "Doom Pistol" [2] is based on. You know, the default weapon with the fist. lol

Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

And finally I have something to share! Got someone to record me at today's carry gun match! I was in the "John Wick" division with a full-size double-stack pistol; unfortunately my performance didn't really stack up to the ideal, but it was fun nonetheless.

https://streamable.com/vat4v (sorry for no embed, me and Youtube aren't getting along at the moment)

Stage details:

8-)
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Caligari87 wrote:And finally I have something to share! Got someone to record me at today's carry gun match! I was in the "John Wick" division with a full-size double-stack pistol; unfortunately my performance didn't really stack up to the ideal, but it was fun nonetheless.

https://streamable.com/vat4v (sorry for no embed, me and Youtube aren't getting along at the moment)

Stage details:

8-)
Dude, awesome video! The saying "happiness is a warm gun" suddenly makes sense. That looks cold, but so fun. lol
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Caligari, something I wanted to run by you. Make sure you are very conscious of not re-chambering the same round more than once or twice, especially not slamming the slide closed on a round in chamber multiple times. They can get shortened to the point of becoming a cycling problem, or even worse, creating a lot more pressure in the cartridge which can blow your barrel up which is extremely dangerous to you and everyone around you. You don't want that happening at the range, much less in a self-defense situation. I didn't realize how bad it was until recently. Now, I just keep the thing chambered 24/7, and if I have to cycle out a round, I generally take it out of that carry set and put a new one in off the top of the magazine, and a new round out of my safe back on top of the magazine. Look how short my chamber round got from repeated unfired cyclings (in and out of the chamber from loading and unloading the gun.) I went bought a whole new bunch of boxes of ammo for the magazines and chamber, took the rounds that were undamaged and set them aside for range use, and made a self-note to not cycle the gun like that anymore and to be very aware of the cartridge I am putting in the chamber if I *do* absolutely have to unload the weapon, not to re-use the same bullet more than once or twice at most.

https://www.capitalcartridge.com/Bullet ... -s/257.htm

Return to “Off-Topic”