Who here likes guns? I mean really likes guns?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Zen3001

Re: Who here likes guns? I mean really likes guns?

Post by Zen3001 »

is a laser sight really necessary for self defense?
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Zen3001 wrote:is a laser sight really necessary for self defense?
I'm not sure if "necessary" is a good word. But it is hugely beneficial. I have one on my primary side-arm as well. (And I will be getting one for my backup sidearm when I can afford it.) The .300 AAC Blackout carbine that I just installed the laser on is largely set for medium range engagements, with a 1x-6x scope that is super accurate. If I'm inside of my friend's house and someone is breaking in, trying to get the proper eye relief on the scope at 1x could be a difference between life and death. Milliseconds count in a life/death situation.

Because of that, I have side irons for close quarters situations, but a laser is still MUCH faster/better than iron sights (and can be used in conjunction with the irons, or just use the laser without), because you don't have to line anything up with your eye correctly. If the laser is zeroed in, it's literally just "the bullet goes where the bright ass red dot is on the bad guy." Assuming you don't flinch mid-trigger pull or while the bullet is escaping the barrel, of course. It's so accurate, it feels like "cheating" at the gun range, as if you were using an aimbot. lol. But in a situation where me or someone I love may get hurt or die, the more effecient and fast/accurate, the better. When adrenaline is pumping and someone is trying to end you or somebody you love's life is very different from shooting at paper targets, and a laser sight helps push the results of the nightmare in favor of the good person, and not the criminal.

It's like asking if a 12 gauge shotgun is necessary for self defense, when often times a handgun could do the job. Especially since the most common home-defense shell, a 2 3/4" 00 Buckshot in 12 gauge, can cut a human being in half with a single trigger pull. A handgun can generally work in self-defense, but is less powerful, requires more aiming (you DO have to aim a shotgun almost as much as a rifle/handgun at close range, video games are hugely incorrect here), and the attacker is more likely to survive/retaliate with handgun wounds. Handguns are for when you have to conceal a small weapon in places you don't expect there to be a problem. That's why cops carry handguns at traffic stops. Long guns (shotguns/rifles/carbines) are ALWAYS superior to handguns, they just don't conceal easy. So at home, you want your shotgun or rifle instead. It would just be absurd to go to the mall with a shotgun. But notice that if cops KNOW there is someone armed, they bring their rifles and shotguns. It's just on regular patrol they have no need for it. I don't care if 00 Buckshot or a laser sight is "necessary" for home defense, I want EVERY POSSIBLE ADVANTAGE I can so that the people I love can continue breathing. I kind of went off on a tangent here, sorry. I need sleep. lol
Last edited by SouthernLion on Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

I just installed all the wiring and stuff for the grip plate for the laser, and ziptied the wires down (pictures are before I ziptied.) This gun is good to go, minus the suppressor. Which, I can't really afford right now... and it's like a 9 month wait after you buy it (it's the same Federal Law and background check as a fully automatic weapon. You can't just buy one off the shelf. lol)

I have the laser zero'd to the side irons which I know are accurate, but I will confirm 100% zero on Friday with a quick range trip.

NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

If nothing else, seeing that red dot cross the floor and land on oneself could be a powerful psychological weapon.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

NeuralStunner wrote:If nothing else, seeing that red dot cross the floor and land on oneself could be a powerful psychological weapon.
True, same could be said about working the action of a pump shotgun. But you don't ever want to count on that, just benefit from it if it works. (The best case scenario is that no one gets hurt, and the bad guy goes to jail and changes his life. Unfortunately, you aren't always given that hand. It is actually illegal to present a gun without the intention of using it; i.e.: If you don't pull the trigger [or come close] someone innocent could die or get gravely injured.) Like, if you pull the gun and they surrender, that is awesome. But you can't pull the gun as a BLUFF, so to speak.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I was once told that you want to avoid using the sound of your weapon's action as a deterrent, because it triggers a fight or flight response in the assailant that is more likely to be fight than flight. You might be bluffing, but they sure won't be.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

wildweasel wrote:I was once told that you want to avoid using the sound of your weapon's action as a deterrent, because it triggers a fight or flight response in the assailant that is more likely to be fight than flight. You might be bluffing, but they sure won't be.
I actually agree with you on this. But I won't keep a round in the chamber of a shotgun or rifle because a hard enough bang could fire the round and hurt somebody in my household (although it is always pointed in a safe direction.) I keep a round in the chamber on my handgun 24/7 while carrying etc. but never the long guns. But yes, you're right, you should be cocking the gun because you are ready to fight, not because you want to "scare them away."
Leon_Portier

Post by Leon_Portier »

Very nice machines! I´d probably get a Baikal if I could.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Due to recent scary events in my life, I decided to make sure I had 100% confirmed zero on my laser sight for my .300 AAC Blackout carbine. I was extremely impressed that I didn't have to tweak it at all. Every bullet I fired from the laser was dead center in that "10" on the bullseye. I then rapid fired (double and triple tapping the trigger) my back-up side irons and that's where some of the "9"s and all of the "8"s come from. And then I moved the target all the way back as far as it will go and used the scope (6x max), and got the rest of the "10"s and "9"s. I'd say she's ready, God willing I never need it.

will183
Operating System Version (Optional): Win-10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by will183 »

Hellsmith1 wrote:It's cool to have guns but what's the purpose of having a AR-15, M4 Carbine, or AK47 in your possession?

Reasons for owning an AK-47 and a AR-15 are usually sport/self defence/recreation. You also cannot legally own a fully automatic M4 Carbine in the United States, atleast not without alot of restrictions and permits.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

will183 wrote:
Hellsmith1 wrote:It's cool to have guns but what's the purpose of having a AR-15, M4 Carbine, or AK47 in your possession?

Reasons for owning an AK-47 and a AR-15 are usually sport/self defence/recreation. You also cannot legally own a fully automatic M4 Carbine in the United States, atleast not without alot of restrictions and permits.
Anything faster than semi-automatic (burst, or full auto) has to be manufactured in 1986 or older, and yeah, it requires a Federal Class III Tax Stamp for the transfer of the firearm, and your name on a government list for as long as you own the weapon. And some of them cost up to $40,000 USD. lol
Graaicko
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Graaicko »

Just got these Magpul products from a black friday sale. Now I gotta buy a AK to put them on. My PMC AK incoming soon. lol

SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Magpul is one of the definitive companies when it comes to firearm stuff (I'm sure you know.) Those look like awesome buys.

My 40 round magazine for my .300 AAC Blackout (I bought it for 5.56x45mm NATO AR-15 originally, but they are interchangeable* [FOR MAGAZINES NOT FOR GUNS. DO NOT EVER FEED WRONG AMMO TO THE WRONG GUN!!!!]), a 30 round magazine also for the .300, and two 30 round magazines for my AK are all Magpul. They are sturdy, feed flawlessly, and I've heard people that have used them in combat in the War in the Middle East that praised them immensely as well.

Go Magpul. lol

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_AAC_ ... al_hazards
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

I think I can join this club now.
Spoiler:
Starting from the bottom three, which I inherited from my grandpa, we have:

The ubiquitous Ruger 10/22

1911 Colt Commander

vintage Mini-14 folding stock

and finally at the top is a brand new 583 series Mini-14 in 5.56 that I bought to go into the folding stock
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Very pretty weapons. I need to buy a new .22 LR gun. I keep selling mine and then I miss them. And I've been taking a few people (male and female) to shoot for the first time, and it usually seems to work well starting with a .22 LR to understand the fundamentals and gun safety rules, and then move up. Not to mention they are fun to shoot, and 5 bucks for 500 rounds. lol. My damn .300 AAC Blackout is a dollar a trigger pull. :(

Return to “Off-Topic”