Who here likes guns? I mean really likes guns?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Reactor

Re: Who here likes guns? I mean really likes guns?

Post by Reactor »

It reminds me somewhat of a flaregun. I'd say it's not that grotesque.
BTW, what does "tround" mean?
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

I've always wanted a (not real to my knowledge) double-barrel shotgun with a pump, with either two magazine tubes feeding it, or two revolver cylinders rotating with each pump. And I would want both barrels to go off with a single trigger pull (and have the gun designed for that recoil.)

Unfortunately, that would be illegal as it would fall under a "machine gun" under U.S. law definition (as absurd as that is). You can legally pull both triggers on my side/side double barrel shotgun to mimick Doom II's super shotgun weapon going off, but if you rig a *single* trigger to fire two rounds, that's considered an automatic weapon. Oh, and I heard it's pretty bad for the gun (although, I can't imagine how? I don't see mechanically which part of the gun that force would go in to, most of it would be going down a stock in to your shoulder.)
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

You could always just strap two pump shotguns together.
Reactor wrote:It reminds me somewhat of a flaregun. I'd say it's not that grotesque.
BTW, what does "tround" mean?
Tround = Triangular round
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Just installed a laser sight, fixed the forward hand grip, and oiled up my Carbine. I'm gonna be spending a few weeks at a friend's house, and she is really sketched out and doesn't feel safe right now, so I'm taking this with me.

jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

RexS wrote:[...]
Anyways, I always thought the double barrel side/by/side look was so sexy, entirely because of the Super Shotgun in Doom II.

I've always wanted to ask someone about this, but which one you think it's better? Side by side or over and under? I have a soft spot for o/u myself, but i could never fire any of them. Having the opinion of a gun expert would be nice.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

I don't know if I'd call me that, but thank you haha.

I think *technically* an over/under is better for accuracy, because obviously the horizontal shot placement doesn't change, where as a side by side has the barrels very slightly angled to have the shot pattern hit in the same place at a certain distance (kind of like zeroing your laser, scope, or red dot for a certain distance.) I just like the side by sides more because of Doom. lol
kodi

Post by kodi »

Other than when shooting slugs, it's entirely up to personal preference with the small ergonomic differences between over/under and side-by-side. With slugs, the former is preferable AFAIK
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Had myself a lovely day at the "range" today - by that, I mean an acquaintance of my mother's from work was hosting a day at his rural property, shooting targets and clays with a "small" chunk of his family's collection. I have no idea how large his collection is, but I personally handled five different weapons, out of a total of nine accessible. I have now fired a .44 Magnum (a Ruger, I think), a 10mm Auto (a full-size Glock), and a 20 gauge trap-shooting shotgun, which all go on my personal bucket-list. I also got to put a nice 9mm-sized bullet hole through the center of a dollar-store deck of cards with a Beretta 92 (on the first shot from about 10m, at that), so I'd say today was a good day.

A thing I always seem to forget about shooting real guns is how strong the shockwave feels. Even if you're not the one wielding the weapon, you still feel the blast in the pit of your stomach if you're anywhere nearby. Raw audio recording of real gunfire never manages to capture that shockwave, leaving recordings very tinny and trebley, often capturing the reverb more than the actual blast due to clipping. This is why Hollywood and video games tend to compensate (sometimes too much) by adding more bassy booms to gunfire, or in some cases, replacing recordings of smaller guns with recordings of larger ones (Indiana Jones' .45 revolver, for example, makes the sound of a Winchester .30-30 because actually recording a .45 didn't sound nearly meaty enough).

All in all, I feel like I had a good day - made some fairly good shots at paper and clay alike, which is something I only get to do once every few years, anymore.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

wildweasel wrote:
A thing I always seem to forget about shooting real guns is how strong the shockwave feels. Even if you're not the one wielding the weapon, you still feel the blast in the pit of your stomach if you're anywhere nearby. Raw audio recording of real gunfire never manages to capture that shockwave, leaving recordings very tinny and trebley, often capturing the reverb more than the actual blast due to clipping. This is why Hollywood and video games tend to compensate (sometimes too much) by adding more bassy booms to gunfire, or in some cases, replacing recordings of smaller guns with recordings of larger ones (Indiana Jones' .45 revolver, for example, makes the sound of a Winchester .30-30 because actually recording a .45 didn't sound nearly meaty enough).
Aye, they also usually have more dramatic muzzle flash with added powders in the blanks to make it look cooler on screen (to have the visual effect coincide with the audio effect.) That's not to say there's never muzzle flash, certain types of ammo have made my AK-47 (AKM) create a pretty wicked muzzle fire and in that video I posted you can see the 3" Magnum 00 Buckshot 12 Gauge shells make a quick flare, but in movies they could be firing a 9mm handgun and it will spit fire like a Desert Eagle. lol
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Figure I should make a post to show you all my little "souvenir"...

Single shot, near-perfectly centered. Bullet went straight through and this deck now lives on my little display shelf.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Quality indeed, Weasel. Congrats! :D
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

wildweasel wrote:Figure I should make a post to show you all my little "souvenir"...

Single shot, near-perfectly centered. Bullet went straight through and this deck now lives on my little display shelf.
Was that a FMJ round? I don't know enough about ballistics to know if a deck of cards would be enough to make a hollowpoint expand. lol
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Well, it definitely wasn't a hollowpoint round. Didn't think to ask the owner what it was, besides it being 9mm, but the not-very-much that I know from just reading about it, this might be just the ballistic characteristics of the 9mm at work; high muzzle velocity combined with a relatively small and light bullet would make it more likely to exit "cleanly" (yes, this is a "clean" exit, compare it with something like a .45, the exit hole is generally a lot bigger despite the actual bullet not being that much larger).

The other stuff on hand at the range was stuff like 10mm, .22LR (someone was shooting .22WMR, the difference in noise alone was staggering), and .44 Magnum (damn fun to shoot!). The Magnum and 10mm, I'm told, would have been more likely to completely disintegrate the deck with the force of impact, and the .22 would probably not have penetrated all the way through. I'm not exactly a ballistics expert either, I should stress, I'm mainly going by what the range owner was telling me, and the things I've read in specs sheets and guides online.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Makes sense. I shot a dictionary with a hollowpoint .22LR once, and it was so cool to see how it expanded more and more each page. It was like ... a 3D model of hollowpoint expansion in a book. lol
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Aaaand that laser was a cheap piece of garbage. Lost zero 20 rounds in, and FELL OFF THE GUN 80 rounds in. I got a refund immediately, and splurged on a real one (about $350.) I don't really have that money to spend, but I am worried about the immediate safety of a few people I love, so I'm just going to have to suck it up.

Here is pictures of the new, actually good-quality laser installed.

Return to “Off-Topic”