Who here likes guns? I mean really likes guns?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
SouthernLion

Re: Who here likes guns? I mean really likes guns?

Post by SouthernLion »

lmao. That is awesome. Desert Eagles are almost useless as actual self-defense weapons (compared to other handguns, anyway) because .50AE is EXTREMELY hard to group accurately and quickly, (not to brag, but I could put 7 9mm rounds in your chest before you got your second .50AE chambered and fired, assuming you missed the first round, which is extremely likely in an adrenaline filled life or death scenario), but there is no doubting the absolute menacing stopping power of that round, or the sex appeal of the Eagle. Desert Eagle is my favorite "Hollywood" gun, by far. I want to own one, one day. It is also the only gas operated handgun in existence (to my knowledge), which is normally something in a carbine or rifle's cycle, lol.
Graaicko
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Graaicko »

Yeah, Most of the advertisement/posters in the mod are jokes I put together.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Please make sure you're following the image posting rules or use the the [imgur] tag if you are going to use large images. Your post has had its images converted to links to comply with these rules. Thank you.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

It is very interesting to read your reviews (yes, we can call them reviews I think) about the shotties, RexS, you really talk like a professional...and look like one, my buddy Zsole said :D and boy, he is right!
The contemplation about the colouring of shells was also informative, since I didn't know what to make out of this - either it's a distinction of manufacturers' or does have a meaning of different kind of shells. It turns out that shell colouring signifies both. Ugh, isn't it confusing?
No wonder shotgun is one of the most cherished weapons of yours, it is indeed versatile. And that tazer round looks something like from the Captain Pirx series :D funny thing is, very few games utilize the shotgun as an all-purpose weapon with multiple types of shells. AFAIK the Tomb Raider- and Red Faction-series had such possibility, I liked that a lot. And the mention of slugs immediately made me think about either Commander Keen 4 or the Railgun :) Video game memories FTW!

Tell me, RexS, which shotgun behavior is closer to real life? The Doom-like, where the shotgun can be effective even for medium distances, or the GTA-like, where it's a wide blast zoned but short ranged weapon? Also, all shotties share the same kind of spread, or there are horizontal-spread-only shotguns as well?
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Reactor wrote:It is very interesting to read your reviews (yes, we can call them reviews I think) about the shotties, RexS, you really talk like a professional...and look like one, my buddy Zsole said :D and boy, he is right!
The contemplation about the colouring of shells was also informative, since I didn't know what to make out of this - either it's a distinction of manufacturers' or does have a meaning of different kind of shells. It turns out that shell colouring signifies both. Ugh, isn't it confusing?
No wonder shotgun is one of the most cherished weapons of yours, it is indeed versatile. And that tazer round looks something like from the Captain Pirx series :D funny thing is, very few games utilize the shotgun as an all-purpose weapon with multiple types of shells. AFAIK the Tomb Raider- and Red Faction-series had such possibility, I liked that a lot. And the mention of slugs immediately made me think about either Commander Keen 4 or the Railgun :) Video game memories FTW!

Tell me, RexS, which shotgun behavior is closer to real life? The Doom-like, where the shotgun can be effective even for medium distances, or the GTA-like, where it's a wide blast zoned but short ranged weapon? Also, all shotties share the same kind of spread, or there are horizontal-spread-only shotguns as well?
Why, thank you. lol. I do my best to be informative with whatever knowledge I do have...

Generally speaking, it is more like Doom. But it also depends on the shell type, barrel type, and if it has a choke at the end. Those things greatly effect pattern. But I could hold a pattern within a circle the size of a pumpkin much further than you would expect with my old longer hunting barrel (I swapped it out for the shorter one that is on it now to be better for home defense.) There are some barrels/chokes that have a much wider spread early on, but I don't know enough to know the exact math behind what makes the pattern wider. I think in most video games, the wide spread pattern is just a matter of balance, because being that powerful AND accurate at long distances, it would be overpowered. And I think the horizontal spread was just a coding limit in Doom that they changed for Doom II (with the double barrel shotgun), because of the round nature of barrels, there are no horizontal only spreads.
NantoCodd

Post by NantoCodd »

I don't have a gun (and not going to, with my country law and such) except for an airsoft Glock, but I loves guns as much I loves knives, lighters and tiny novelties. I love the symbolic and collectible nature of guns, especially if they appears in movies or games. Although ridiculously customized guns made me puke (wth with those "Gucci" Glocks, anyway?).
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

New sidearm. I decided it was time to upgrade to 9x19mm Parabellum (9mm Luger) as an every day carry cartridge from my .380 ACP. I love my Bersa Thunder 380, it is a fantastic conceal carry gun in a pinch, but it lacks the stopping power of a 9mm Luger or .45 ACP.

The new gun is a Beretta 92FS, the tried and true handgun that has been issued to soldiers and cops in the United States, (and saved many lives in both uses.) This is literally one designed for the police department, which is why it came with 3 magazines instead of 2.

Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

Well, I do have an airsoft Luger. I like Lugers. But that's about it, I mean for obvious reasons I don't like having live firearms in my house. This is a whole can of worms I'm not ready to open.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I like your new Beretta handgun, RexS, it looks tantalizing :) and that ammo box looks like the enhanced pistol ammo from Resident Evil 3!

"STARS. WUOOOAHHHHH!!!" :D
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I also never fired a real gun (though my father was a guard at a grain factory for many years and carried a .32 Rossi revolver i used to mess a bit).

Not to pull the drama here, but since i started living with my wife, she didn't wanted to have a gun at home, even if for self-defense. Both of us had hard times and suffered from depression. Her father, recently passed away, was a cop, and this was, ironically, the real reason for her not to own a gun. She always knew where to find both the weapon and the bullets, no matter how well hidden. I agreed with her terms.

Also, to own a weapon in Brazil, you must be 25+ years old, have the proper gun bought to register, buy a port, do psychological tests and wait for an approval of the city police department (they can still say a NO even if you succeded the tests). A .38 long barrel can cost... something around R$ 4000, which would be something like $1000 dollars, i guess.

I do, however, own an airsoft gun just for the fun sake of it, based on a Sig Sauer P226.

(Having your airsoft gun caught without the orange part is considered illegal around here).
Graaicko
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Graaicko »

GAA1992 wrote: A .38 long barrel can cost... something around R$ 4000, which would be something like $1000 dollars.
What?... You can buy that here for less then $300... somebodys making money there.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Graaicko wrote:
GAA1992 wrote: A .38 long barrel can cost... something around R$ 4000, which would be something like $1000 dollars.
What?... You can buy that here for less then $300... somebodys making money there.
Considering he lives in brazil, high and unresonable prices are not new
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Here's the "fun" part: While a simple handgun can vary between R$ 3000,00 and R$ 4000,00, the minimum wage is R$ 880,00.

But enough of political stuff.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Made this for Memorial Day.

Reactor

Post by Reactor »

A new stash of guns! Yum! I'd love to have some of those beautiues under my pillow!

I'm a bit confused tho, RexS, and since you've wrote very interesting facts about guns, you ought to be able to answer. What are the gradual differences between submachine-guns, machineguns and assault rifles? I know it's only video game logic, but each game use these titles on guns as synonyms - and in another game, the same titles used on guns which are the polar opposite of what I saw in the previous game. So...uh...need to work on my vocabulary...these titles may not be interchangeable, but most games featuring them treat'em as they are. What is the truth? :)

Return to “Off-Topic”