Reviving video game rentals: A though experiment

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

So how about it?

HECK NO! Just buy the games as is!
86%
It could work, but not with that suggestion, here's mine...
No votes
I like the Idea, but maybe just change...
14%
The Idea seems sound to me!
No votes

Total votes: 7

insightguy

Reviving video game rentals: A though experiment

Post by insightguy »

A.K.A. I didn't really know how to make a title that does not sound pretentious.

A couple of nights ago, my brain ended up having a random though about reviving rental video-games and wanted some feedback on the Idea.

DIGITAL VIDEO GAME RENTING: A.K.A. If valve were a little more honest. :wink:

The Idea came to me in a dream, Instead of paying full price for a game, there can be a sort of "monthly" system where you pay 60$ a month for a selection of games. Initially I wanted to go the "spotify" route but then realized how messy that might get (install sizes, profit distribution, etc.) So I opted for a more "compact" system where in you get a "unit" for every dollar you pay for a month.

The Idea is this: take a game's price and divide it by 5, that's how many unit's it will "cost" the customer per month. Every first week of the month, you get to pick what to remove and add. developers who have games installed through this system get a cut on every install. (so theoreticaly, indies cost 1 to 6 units, AAA will cost 8 to 16 units and more if DLC is to be accounted)

Example: I pay 30$ to this theoretical service, so I get 30 units every month that I have to fill, I pick a AAA game (16 units), 2 DLC packs of said game (6 units), and 2 Indie games (8 units), next month I can decide to keep supporting the indie games and chance the AAA game and the DLC packs to another AAA release or vice versa. paying more means I can get more games at the same time.

For the consumer, this gives options and makes more expensive games palatable and developers can get a steadier income with more people getting their games.

Why I think this can be pro-consumer

Less incentive to pre-order or wait for a sale
fooling your customers for pre orders and day one dlc is less effective when customers can easily drop your game after a month, cutting your profits by roughly a fifth of the potential gain. Also punishes bad games fast (at least within a month). also, a lot easier to convince someone to pay 1/5th the cost.

Encourages better games for lower price
Taking up 16 units is not a great proposition especially with better alternatives in the market.

Multiple DLCs and expansion packs are not encouraged
A consumer would be less likely to fill their entire month's quota with just one game, why take just one game when I can take 5 new ones that don't have tons of DLC stacked on them.

Things that can be added to make it more pro-consumer

Keep the option to buy the games whole, deduct cost from how long you have rented. (so basically you bought the game if you've had it installed for 5 months.)
Any game you buy is simply given as an installer ala GOG or something to that extent. Basically, you no longer rent it and thus, does not cost units.

Make that aforementioned first week of the month a "testing period"
think of it like a clothes shop where you go to the dressing room to try the product on, except a week, and you lock your selection afterwards. Constrains may have to be placed such as a 20 min demo only to ensure that the player does not go about finishing the game and swapping for a new one, cheating the developers.

Why I think this is attractive to developers

Larger pickup rate to compensate for the loss.
Paying 12 bucks for a game is a lot more palatable when the original is 60. If the content can last to 5 months, then they can theoretically get more than they expect. (but then they have to make sure that the game is supported for that 5 months)

Indies have a better chance.
With a smaller unit cost that can got to one, I would guess that people would be more inclined to rent it.

Things that can be added to make it more attractive to developers

"surprise me" option for consumers
if a customer does not know what to pick, an option can be there to fill the remaining units with games that suit their taste but they may not have heard of before, possibly bringing obscure people into the light. (may have to be fine tuned)

So there, that's an Idea dump

P.S. I am not saying this Idea is superior in anyway shape or form, feel free to criticize it and even suggest improvements, adjustments or whole other alternatives but please leave let's be civil.

TL;DR: Though experiment about how to revive video game rentals and make it not consumer-unfriendly and also a solution to people scared of shit games, also please be civil.
Kotti

Re: Reviving video game rentals: A though experiment

Post by Kotti »

I don't think that game studios will support this. They are thoroughly happy that they finally have a means to sell games where the consumer has little chance to check out the game before buying and no chance to sell it after having played it. Who cares if they alienate half of their potential user base if the remaining half has to pay more on average so that everybody can get the game?
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Kotti wrote:I don't think that game studios will support this. They are thoroughly happy that they finally have a means to sell games where the consumer has little chance to check out the game before buying and no chance to sell it after having played it. Who cares if they alienate half of their potential user base if the remaining half has to pay more on average so that everybody can get the game?
If the values were adjusted to say... 1.5x the original price of the game, would that be a better incentive? more potential payout for longer quality support
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

Steam already has a two-week return window, which is even more relaxed than the option you're suggesting. Humble Bundle offers their list of bundles every few weeks and also has a much cheaper subscription service that very rarely disappoints, which covers the "surprise me" option. This seems like a lot of needless complexity for too little return.
Kotti

Post by Kotti »

Scripten wrote:Steam already has a two-week return window

Wanna bet that you'll be kicked out if using that too often?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I was a heavy game renter 15+ years ago and Steam ended all this. This is why they still hold a special place in my mind, meaning I'll never, *EVER* do business with them.
Regarding their 2 week return window I have my doubts that they will accept customers which do this too often - and from my memories of 15 years ago I still remember how few of the games I rented were actually worth purchasing. A few I actually managed to play through over a single weekend.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Voted Heck No after some thought.

On the one hand, it would be kinda nice if I could somehow declutter my Steam list of things that I'll never play again.

On the other, "rental" only really makes sense when "the game" is a unique physical object that can be returned. Otherwise, the concept is just a convoluted way of getting at a software-as-a-service model.

(Also a heavy game renter back in the day, though I figure if it weren't for Steam it would've been someone else...)
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Don't consoles already have something like this? IIRC, with Microsoft's Game Pass you pay a monthly fee and get access to a rotating list of titles. Nintendo's online service will have this for virtual console titles (which also include added online multiplayer functionality).
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

The big problem I see is having to download all that stuff every time...
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Graf Zahl wrote:I was a heavy game renter 15+ years ago and Steam ended all this. This is why they still hold a special place in my mind, meaning I'll never, *EVER* do business with them.
The rentals or steam? working is kinda vague there.
Matt wrote:On the other, "rental" only really makes sense when "the game" is a unique physical object that can be returned. Otherwise, the concept is just a convoluted way of getting at a software-as-a-service model.
Any DRM has made it impossible to rent games physically, I'm just trying to see if the concept can be revived. And just to ask without any defense to the companies that do this, are software-as-a-service model that bad? Paying monthly for a software at least guarantees some level of support (or you tend to lose your customers). I only mind if it's the ONLY alternative.

Just to clarify the above suggestion, I'm not saying to get rid of regular purchases, just to add options
Scripten wrote:Humble Bundle offers their list of bundles every few weeks and also has a much cheaper subscription service that very rarely disappoints, which covers the "surprise me" option. This seems like a lot of needless complexity for too little return.
Humble bundle has not exactly been a favorite of mine for the sole reason that they have been bought out by IGN... slight conflict of interest with a healthy dose of skeptisism with IGN as the head of humble bundle has kept me away. Any alternatives would be great.
Matt wrote:The big problem I see is having to download all that stuff every time...
Hence the suggestion of a one week free for all (install, test, and uninstall to your leisure)
Matt

Post by Matt »

I'm not saying that as an objection to all SaaS in principle (though personally I only like it for MMORPGs and other things where a big server is inherently necessary), it's just that I don't really see any difference in principle from digital renting - you explicitly pay only for limited-time use and no more.

IGN buying out Humble Bundle explains a lot. -_-
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

One problem with renting games in the modern age is filesizes. It still takes me a long time to download any game over 10 GB which is the main reason I don't buy many AAA games made past 2015 or so. I wouldn't really be likely to rent a game if it took most of my rental time to download and install it.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Matt wrote: you explicitly pay only for limited-time use and no more.

With DRM you even do this if you buy a game for full price. If the DRM server is shut down you are screwed.
One of my policies is to not buy anything with DRM in place, that's not restricted to games, but also eBooks, movies and other digital stuff. Either I can make a working backup or they won't get my money. End of story.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Graf: In those cases I just take it for granted that when the "seller" uses words like "buy" and "sell" they're lying.

I still haven't bought a AAA game in years, though, between what you and Sgt. Shivers said.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Matt wrote:Graf: In those cases I just take it for granted that when the "seller" uses words like "buy" and "sell" they're lying.
This is one of the reasons why I thought changing it back to rentals would at least make it more honest.
Graf Zahl wrote:One of my policies is to not buy anything with DRM in place, that's not restricted to games, but also eBooks, movies and other digital stuff. Either I can make a working backup or they won't get my money. End of story.
Just out of curiosity, if an installer needed a password and username of the user to unlock it (like how some zipfiles are password protected) without the need for online verification (say, when you download the installer it takes the user's current username and password and uses that as the lock), would that be OK?

I was thinking of a kind of "DRM" that would hurt a pirate but not a user. The idea being that you can have as many copies as you want, but giving it to someone else means giving up your account username and password. (should at least delay the pirates for a short period of time A.K.A. until they change their password)

Return to “Off-Topic”