Watch me Struggle: Attempting to use Old DOOM Map Editors!

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Doomkid

Watch me Struggle: Attempting to use Old DOOM Map Editors!

Post by Doomkid »

Watch me struggle as I attempt to build a basic room in several classic map editors. (spoiler: Incoming fails)

Hope some of you get some entertainment out of this! Will have links to all editors attempted soon.

Cheers! :D

(This thread can be found on the other Doom forums as well)
Kotti

Re: Watch me Struggle: Attempting to use Old DOOM Map Editor

Post by Kotti »

Dumb question: Have you ever tried the DOS editors with 'cd'ing into their directories? Lots of software of that vintage cannot possibly be run like you tried. If it does not find its data in the current working directory it'll just fail.
Doomkid

Post by Doomkid »

Empyre suggested that as well - I'm really ignorant of how things work under DOS, so even that basic thing was something I didn't realize going in blind. I'll certainly be making a followup where I actually get these things running after learning a bit more about working DOS and reading the instructions for each of the programs, this is what happens when you dive in head first without doing the research!
Nash

Post by Nash »

I remember ZETH as my first experience with ZDoom editing, ever. Might try to make it run on DOSBox soon just for shits and giggles.

Cool video
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

If you still have any old copies of Windows NT/95/98 (or even OS/2), they'll make it a lot easier for you to run your old DOS editors - but you'll have to install them into a virtual machine. Nevertheless, they'll present a nice explorer (or explorer-like in OS/2) interface where you won't have to "CD" into the folders in the command prompt like you were struggling with there, and the editors should run flawlessly in all of those old Windows (and OS/2) versions. If you need any help setting those up, send me a PM.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

DEU was an experience when I was a kid..
Doomkid

Post by Doomkid »

Thank you all for the replies. I'll be looking into setting up a VM and just might take you up on that when I get to work on part 2, Rachael - Much appreciated!
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

cd dck
loadfix dck32
Rachael wrote:If you still have any old copies of Windows NT/95/98 (or even OS/2), they'll make it a lot easier for you to run your old DOS editors - but you'll have to install them into a virtual machine.
VMs will less likely emulate the older video cards and CPUs of the time so that may not be optimal for those dos editors (especially when those VMs don't really support Win9x). I'd recommend using PCem instead of Virtualbox/VMWare.
merlin86
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by merlin86 »

I have an i7 desktop @ 3.4 GHz . IIRC it's a pretty heavy emulator pcem. With latest version can I run a Pentium 2 @90 MHz with voodoo card, or a MMX machine?
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

I couldn't resist chuckling at the WA section...yep, no auto-joining of sectors here :p

(the correct way was to split the linedef into 3 and resize the middle one, rather than making it the same size as the passage)

Return to “Off-Topic”