Cool Game: Brutal MooD

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
MrJohnny

Cool Game: Brutal MooD

Post by MrJohnny »

Found a neat game that bears some resemblance to doom: key-fetching, fast-paced shoot fests, buckets of the red stuff, and even some of the textures/enemies are similar! Didn't see any talk about it here, so I thought I'd get the word out. Oh yeah, it has a demo too. So there's that. It's still in development, but it's coming to Steam sometime this year.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Cool Game: Brutal MooD

Post by NeuralStunner »

Good thing that choice of title doesn't reek of gratuitous pandering in the slightest.

(Also, they might want to be careful how they market this thing, Zenimax's legal department is rather wary of such things.)
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

That gloomy, dark background music is priceless! :D A perfect fit!
My, my, the author surely has a good taste for dramatic settings!
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

That looks like a pain in the neck to play. Movement speed is way too fast; you can see guy has to carefully tap they keys to go where he wants to go, to avoid overshooting. That's gonna get tedious really fast. But even with the fast movement, it's hardly run-and-gun. The enemies aim and react more like the terrorists from Door Kickers than Doom monsters, so he has to play it like a tactical shooter. It seems weird that you have to cover-peek to survivie, in a game that seemingly emphasizes BRUTAL ACTION.

Also, 10/10 pandering title.

8-)
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

Well that field of view system sure is ... something.
Zemakat
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Zemakat »

Caligari87 wrote:That looks like a pain in the neck to play. Movement speed is way too fast; you can see guy has to carefully tap they keys to go where he wants to go, to avoid overshooting. That's gonna get tedious really fast. But even with the fast movement, it's hardly run-and-gun. The enemies aim and react more like the terrorists from Door Kickers than Doom monsters, so he has to play it like a tactical shooter. It seems weird that you have to cover-peek to survivie, in a game that seemingly emphasizes BRUTAL ACTION.

8-)
Er...didn't even the original Doom itself sometimes require you to hide behind walls n' pillars? (Eg. Shotgun Sergeants firing at you while you're at 20% health, with a few chaingun bullets loaded.)

Even Brutal Doom has moments where your enemies become more brutal than you, and you find yourself in need of more ammo.

(If you want to reply, send me a PM instead of talking on the thread. Keeps it nice and cool, okay? :D)
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

This is about the game, why would I take it to PM?

My point is this looks tedious as hell to play and not at all like Doom or even Brutal Doom in anything except "OMG tons of blood and brickwalled weapon sounds!"

8-)
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Caligari87 wrote:That looks like a pain in the neck to play. Movement speed is way too fast; you can see guy has to carefully tap they keys to go where he wants to go, to avoid overshooting. That's gonna get tedious really fast. But even with the fast movement, it's hardly run-and-gun. The enemies aim and react more like the terrorists from Door Kickers than Doom monsters, so he has to play it like a tactical shooter. It seems weird that you have to cover-peek to survivie, in a game that seemingly emphasizes BRUTAL ACTION.

8-)
Watching the vid I do wonder if the main problem is with the level design and possibly the player themselves not having any confidence in any Doom/Robotron/shmup-style dodging - every single encounter they just backpedal and hope the randomized monster aim saves them.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

That could be fixed with a zoom effect or adding a computer map of area...or something...
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

How would a zoom effect or a computer map give the player more space to dodge?

(bullet-time maybe? Does anyone ever do that anymore?)
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Easy. By allowing the player a much better range of sight, the player can evade and aim more precisely. The ancient GTAs didn't have this function either, which made firefights & avoiding road-blocks EXTREMELY frustrating. GTA 2 had a zoom, thus killing evil gang members became a lot easier. Main thing is: if the player notices an enemy is nearby, he may not even need to dodge anything.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Hotline miami clone with a name that's an obvious pandering moneygrab? no thanks.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Seriously folks, why that video reminds me of a game that my brother played...
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Those sound effects... Are strikingly familiar (ammo and health, mainly). I can't tell where from, but obviously i recall them in doom mods from here. If this thing is going to be sold...
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

hmm why do i get the feeling this isn't entirely made by one guy
Attachments
hmoodhmm.jpg

Return to “Off-Topic”