Ccleaner still good?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
grouchbag

Ccleaner still good?

Post by grouchbag »

Is Ccleaner still a good program and is it safe to use? If not, what are some good and safe alternatives? Thanks in advance!
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Ccleaner still good?

Post by R4L »

I still use it, albeit an older "before it was malware" version. I see no reason to upgrade it anyway.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

It's still good. They fixed the problem - it's stated over and over again that hackers added in this malware code into CCleaner. They (Piriform) removed the offending code and updated CCleaner.

It's silly to call CCleaner malware, since it isn't. Malware is descirbed as "software that is intended to damage or disable computers and computer systems" - exactly what CCleaner isn't.

Edit: Quick side note. Any program can be hacked and malware be inserted. I trust Piriform - and would recommend their products to any Windows user. This one instance did not sway my faith in the company.
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

That's a big relief!Thank you VERY much! :D :D :D
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

I've used this for years. The temp file cleaner is the biggest help (along with the option to avoid deleting anything less than a day old). I added Steam's HTTP cache as well.

The registry cleaner can be useful if you've got a lot of junk, (E.G. uninstalled stuff that doesn't clean up after itself,) otherwise I wouldn't bother. They make sure it can only make benign changes, so it's not going to fix actual errors. It'd be crazy to make it so easy for the average Windows user to brick their system. (I would give almost nobody else that much trust. Ever seen the bullshit that comes up from Googling a file extension?)

I think my only actual complaint is the annoying UI toolkit they use, when programs had been using the host Windows look & feel for about 20 years. I won't get into that rant here, though. :P
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

I've used ccleaner for years. Just wanted to make sure. Anytime I set up a computer for anyone I always install ccleaner with permission. Just got a pro trial, thinking of buyi it next month. Thank you too for your help. :D

Return to “Off-Topic”