Are retro shooters a growing market or merely a fad?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Are retro shooters here to stay or are they a bubble?

They are a new market that is here to stay
65%
They are a fad and people will get sick of them
35%

Total votes: 37

Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Are retro shooters a growing market or merely a fad?

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Sometimes I wonder how many of these people who make """"retro"""" games have actually played the games they're allegedly inspired by.
Gez

Post by Gez »

insightguy wrote:this is starting to feel like the rougelike craze all over again where every game uses "rougelike" even if it barely has anything to do with the original rouge.
Well yeah

Not really hardcore gaming.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Gez wrote:picture of makeup
...motherfucker, I can't spell for shit. (why the heck does MOFO become smeghead?)
Marisa Kirisame wrote:Sometimes I wonder how many of these people who make """"retro"""" games have actually played the games they're allegedly inspired by.
I truly think they usually just look at pictures of retro games and go "I am now an expert in retro gaming". cage is one of the exceptions, He's a knows his shitt.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

That's Gez's sense of humor for ya. :twisted:
Nash

Post by Nash »

Come to think of it, every game is a fad. Doom craze in the 90s. Story-driven Half-Lifes. MOBAs. The Minecrafts. The Dark Souls. Now the battle royale PUBGs.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

They'll all come and go, and then come right back. Though I am sure we'll have a lot more higher-quality games already available by the time Call of Doody sees its resurgence. :twisted:
Marisa the Magician

Even Minecraft has a battle royale mod.

Honestly the popularity of battle royale games can be blamed on the Hunger Games films.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:Even Minecraft has a battle royale mod.

Honestly the popularity of battle royale games can be blamed on the Hunger Games films.
And The Hunger Games wasn't even the first to do the style. It goes all the way back to something literally called Battle Royale, which I *think* goes back to Japan.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

What you're thinking of is the 1999 japanese novel Battle Royale, which has codified the modern trope but has been seen as early as 1952 in the novel Invisible Man (which has a chapter literally titled Battle Royale). The term itself goes back a lot farther, to at least the 1600's where the term meant "a battle fit for a king" and possibly related to cockfighting where lots of birds were thrown in a pit together (the first recorded instance of that usage is the mid 1800's).

8-)
Marisa the Magician

Damn, you really did your research there Cali...
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

One big reason people play these retro games is for better performance, many people have to deal with craptops and like games so all they get to play is older games.
I still like some modern games like hitman and dishonored tho
Gez

Post by Gez »

Retro games are not old games, they are modern games that imitate old games.

If you traveled back in time to the late 90s with Ion Maiden (which actually uses a derivative of the Build engine and is therefore the closest you can get to "new old game"), you wouldn't go very far with it.

Same for Dusk, Amid Evil, Strafe, Devil Daggers, and a lot of others.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Zen3001 wrote:many people have to deal with craptops

So that myth still persists? I think you grossly overestimate the importance of this type of hardware. With modern laptops you'll have no problems playing a semi-recent game, current Intel integrated chipsets roughly compare with what was condidered mid-level 6-7 years ago. You surely cannot play a modern 'AAA' title on them but these systems are definitely better than just being able to play 20+ year old software.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Graf Zahl wrote:With modern laptops you'll have no problems playing a semi-recent game, current Intel integrated chipsets roughly compare with what was condidered mid-level 6-7 years ago. You surely cannot play a modern 'AAA' title on them but these systems are definitely better than just being able to play 20+ year old software.
I've actually had smoother experiences with slightly outdated AAA games (3-4 years ago) on my "craptop" than on some more modern indie games because optimization is apparently something that's overlooked in some games. (seriously, how the fuck do you make a 2D game lag harder than a 3D one?)

I think the "retro" looks leads you to a false sense of security sometimes "it's lower graphics! therefore anything can run it!".
Gez wrote:If you traveled back in time to the late 90s with Ion Maiden (which actually uses a derivative of the Build engine and is therefore the closest you can get to "new old game"), you wouldn't go very far with it. Same for Dusk, Amid Evil, Strafe, Devil Daggers, and a lot of others.
Because the're not as good or because the market was saturated with them?

P.S. Strafe was not a good game at launch, but after the release of the Millennium Edition, It's a shit-ton better, like they redid parts of the game. I actually got to the 2nd area on my first try on a difficulty not on easy.

Protip: Don't start your game in a generic environment, STRAFE actually has really good environments...after the first stage.
Gez

Post by Gez »

insightguy wrote:Because the're not as good or because the market was saturated with them?
Because they wouldn't run on the computers of the era. That's what I mean by them not being actually old games. The point is that they're developed to run on today's computers, not on hardware that can legally buy alcohol in the United States.

Return to “Off-Topic”