University blues

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
FANADICALCOWHEAD

University blues

Post by FANADICALCOWHEAD »

Hey everyone, this is my first year at university, my first semester went alright, I got decent enough grades but I didn't realize the grand master plan (40 hours a week towards schoolwork/studying) that I had envisioned. My second semester (this one) I feel like I'm dragging along like an anchor, I downloaded Grammarly to help me with writing papers and it's alright, but I can't seem to motivate myself as I did last fall. My student debt is racking up fast and post-graduation employment prospects seem bleak at best. I know that no matter what happens I'll be fine, I've become a good mechanic and I'm good with my hands, but I don't want to spend 40,000$ on loans just for a diploma and find out that no one will hire me. The undergraduate study I'm enrolled in is Honours in history. Also after editing many of my papers I realize that I am a mediocre writer.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: University blues

Post by Matt »

I've become a good mechanic and I'm good with my hands, but I don't want to spend 40,000$ on loans just for a diploma
You're ahead a of a huge number of people. Don't let anyone dare try to talk you into losing this.
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

I agree with Matt. Keep going and best of luck to you! :D
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!KEEP GOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But develop a plan, and fill yourself up with as much endurance and willpower as possible!
Do your best to get scholarships instead of loans. Research! Research! Research! Even if the amount is small, like some dance scholarship that gives you $300, at least that would cover some books!

Again, perseverance! I have a Bachelor's in East Asian Studies (at a time when such wasn't popular), but felt burned out when it came time to take testing for graduate school. I should have forged ahead and went for a Master's, but dummy me gave up.

Also, LIVE OFF CAMPUS! I was forced to live on campus the first year, and lost a nice scholarship due to those damn party people keeping me awake all night. When I finally got to live in my own place, my grades shot right back up!

Anyway, good fortune to you! Gambare!
FANADICALCOWHEAD

Post by FANADICALCOWHEAD »

Wow, I'm moved to say the least. I was not expecting support such as what you guys have just relayed to me. It's a very strange feeling to know that people I have never met support, empathize, and encourage my academic endeavors. Thank you all for your words of wisdom!
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

You're welcome! :D
aliceav

Post by aliceav »

FANADICALCOWHEAD wrote:I got decent enough grades but I didn't realize the grand master plan (40 hours a week towards schoolwork/studying) that I had envisioned. My second semester (this one) I feel like I'm dragging along like an anchor, I downloaded Grammarly to help me with writing papers and it's alright, but I can't seem to motivate myself as I did last fall. My student debt is racking up fast and post-graduation employment prospects seem bleak at best.
Last edited by aliceav on Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

"Dude, don't stress! Just use an essay writing service to cheat your way through that university you're paying thousands of dollars to ostensibly get an education out of!"

This is like the worst possible advice.

8-)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Caligari87 wrote:"Dude, don't stress! Just use an essay writing service to cheat your way through that university you're paying thousands of dollars to ostensibly get an education out of!"

This is like the worst possible advice.

8-)
Not to mention it's a month-plus topic bump, AND it's this user's first post. Not making a great first impression...
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

welcome to the system, pay your soul for a college, learn nothing userfull (or something that you could learn on the internet in 2 hours) and still get jobs that require almost nothing that you learned on the college.
As much as I hate it, you must continue, else you'll end up in a worse situation :(

And take your time to complete it, me as an example already passed 3 years from the normal time to graduate.

Return to “Off-Topic”