So little means so much

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Naniyue

So little means so much

Post by Naniyue »

My best friend, my deepest soul connection, needs help quickly. She is in danger of losing her home. Everything we've tried has been fruitless, so any help is greatly appreciated! And please, spread the word!

https://www.gofundme.com/so-little-means-so-much
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: So little means so much

Post by wildweasel »

I'm sorry that I have to be "that guy" here...but there's not an awful lot of information here. Why is she losing her house? What will the $6,000 be paying for, if there is a clear plan of action for it? How long does she have to pay up, if there is a due date involved?
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

You guys were very generous and helpful with my GoFundMe when my wife passed recently. I would love to pay that forward and help out what I can on this for your friend when I get my paycheck.
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

WW: Your questions are valid, but privacy is of the utmost concern in this case, especially with this being the internet. Unfortunately there are no real avenues left to try, and so I thought I would give this sort of thing a go on her behalf.

RS: Thank you! Any help is appreciated, especially considering your own situation.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

The previous conversation about the Zelda Roleplay... thing has been split into the Hall of Unpleasantness. Please, do not derail the topic again -- especially on a subject that means someones life and not a virtual one.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

The "derailment" as is being referenced was a situation where a REAL LIFE PERSON needed rent money to escape an abusive husband who had taken her kids and home from under her, and a sim owner who had the option to actually tell the community they were trying to ask donations for, and instead chose to refer to the situation as merely "friend in need", which- surprise surprise- left the community thinking something was shady.

Don't like that situation? Okay, here's another one where information WAS given and it was successful. http://doodlemancy.com/post/17042579441 ... e-homeless

What I am trying to say is essentially what WW already said. Being spoken to as if what I just described wasn't concerning a real life situation is beyond disrespectful. I'm willing to take this one as "I didn't explain myself properly and well enough" this time. But if it happens again, I'm just gone.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

You didn't explain yourself much at all on the first post. Nor should you consider me splitting the topic as a warning (you would've gotten one otherwise). I'm trying to keep this thread clean for those who want to help without having to scroll down through 5-10 posts about a similar event to find out why exactly Naniyue's friend needs help.
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

I took no offense towards the Zelda post, as I thought it meant DooMRater understood the need for privacy, so no worries!

Internet fundraising is a brand new thing for me, so I'm not good with the inner workings of it. If you really must know, there is only one month left. I've starved myself to send as much money as I can per paycheck, but it's just not enough fast enough! I've entrusted flyers to a few people I know as well as some churches, but I'm just about out of ideas. I'm planning a yard sale, but I have nothing of real monetary value, just sentimental. If anyone is willing to buy a Turbo Duo that needs the CD reader replaced, that's great, otherwise I don't have jack except some old, worthless toys and a TON of sci-fi and fantasy books.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I think what's getting a lot of us suspicious is all the cliché trope rhetoric ("dark deeds... immeasurable...") without any explanation of what's going on. An exaggerated emotional appeal + lack of upfrontness about the specific things at stake + asking for money = a bigass row of red flags.

A bit more info would be appreciated nonetheless, which I think could be kept reasonably anonymous:

1. (yes/no) Is this friend known to you in meatspace, or otherwise you have some third-party verification they are who they say they are (long-term circle of mutual FB friends whom you have both interacted with meaningfully, etc.)?

2. Who is the money going to be paid to, in exchange for what general manner of goods or service?

3. Why is the person unable to make this payment or arrange for a delay?
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

My best friend is a very private person, and I must be careful what I say, so if this next bit doesn't satisfy, then tough!

I have been best friends with this woman, sharing experiences together for over twenty years. So, yeah, she's real. She has greater strength of character than ANYONE I've ever met, from ALL walks of life. But life doesn't seem to care about that.

She is the sole caretaker of her mother, who is still suffering from injuries from two years ago, making income dangerously low. What few relatives they have are unable or unwilling to help. I continue to send as much money as I can myself, and it is not fun to be at work with the shakes and ready to pass out for lack of proper food.

I can't believe my writing is considered trite! It came from the heart, done right then and there! It made, her, her mom, and me all cry! Yeah, real trite, that.

Delays and so forth have already been tried with mixed success, thus the campaign in the first place!

I can't believe I have to keep defending myself, when this is supposed to be a great community! I don't care about postcount, or necrobumps, or "noobs" or truly cliche' facepalm images. I'm just a nerdy guy who loves DooM, and likes sharing nerdy stuff.

So yeah, if by now you still have doubts, then don't post in this topic.
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

Thank you to whoever made the first donation! Every bit counts, so again, thank you!
0mrcynic0
Location: The corner of "screw off" and "none of your business."

Post by 0mrcynic0 »

Naniyue wrote:
I can't believe I have to keep defending myself, when this is supposed to be a great community!
Naniyue wrote:So yeah, if by now you still have doubts, then don't post in this topic.
The Doom Community will gladly support you if you would be more transparent about this. In today's paranoid world, we just can't give our money away easily to people especially if there are those people who use others for selfish reasons without thought, which to me is unforgivable.
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

Thank you, 0mrcynic0, for responding in a more suitable fashion.

I know that the net is nuts, so I do understand any apprehension you and others may have. However, this is as transparent as I can get without permission. I'll ask her what else I may clarify, but I can't guarantee anything.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Naniyue wrote:Thank you, 0mrcynic0, for responding in a more suitable fashion.
Nobody in this thread was rude to you. They just asked you to explain yourself and explain why. All you've done was be rude in response and defend yourself. As if that was more important than this thread.
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M NOT THE BAD GUY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And neither are any of you! This stuff has simply gotten out of hand! If I've come across as rude, it was truly unintentional, and I apologize. I'm only human, and probably make more mistakes than anyone else in this forum! However, saying my writing is cliche is an insult.

As I've said, my best friend is a very private person! Yes, there are more details I could give, but that would be violating her trust, if I do so without permission. Again, I can ask her what else I can divulge, but I can't make any guarantees.

I'm doing my best, starving myself to give her as much of my own money as I can, visiting churches, asking individuals in person, etc. She just needs help! PLEASE!

Thank you.

Return to “Off-Topic”